The Student Room Group

A guide to starting gym?

Signed up at my local gym and i plan to start during September however I have no how to start,

so much technical terms, equipments, supplements, they all overwhelm me. And im getting sick and tired of my m8s telling me I have genetic potential for muscle gain, (i have a naturally large chest and calves and an undefined six pack just brooding under my skin).

Is there any good guides out there for a gym virgin? I've been putting off the idea of going to the gym but now ive signed up and there's no turning back

P.s random questions

-Can any1 explain to me the set/rep terminology?
-Do i need a goal when starting out?
-What equipment's are best for new beginners?

ty in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lilyobz
Signed up at my local gym and i plan to start during September however I have no how to start,

so much technical terms, equipments, supplements, they all overwhelm me. And im getting sick and tired of my m8s telling me I have genetic potential for muscle gain, (i have a naturally large chest and calves and an undefined six pack just brooding under my skin).

Is there any good guides out there for a gym virgin? I've been putting off the idea of going to the gym but now ive signed up and there's no turning back

P.s random questions

ty in advance.

I dunno really what to say about starting, but perhaps do a bit of a range - maybe a 10 min bike warmup, then a decent session on the treadmill/rowing machine, then circuits (things like chest press, shoulder press...those kinds of things).

Random Qs:
- Reps are basically each action if you're using, e.g. the shoulder press. Raising the weight and then letting it down again counts as one rep. Then normally you'll repeat that 10 or so times in a row, to make a set. So if someone says they're doing 3 sets, 10 reps...then they're doing basically blocks of 10, 3 times over.
- I wouldn't say you necessarily need a goal as such, if you're just going to basically keep healthy, but if there's a particular part of your body you want to work on, have that as a goal. Getting more reps/sets done on a certain machine, running/rowing further each time...stuff like that.
- Best equipment is basically what I mentioned above - bike/treadmill/rowing machine, then the circuits. Cross trainer perhaps as a cool-off exercise.

When you start off, don't go mad and strain yourself too much. Build up the levels/weights/distances and it'll work out better in the long run.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Lift weights but first you have to learn perfect form so use light weight. Also you need to work on your diet if you actually want to see results fast. Maybe a little cardio to finish off. The most important thing is to go everything will fall in place, you will learn along the way as you get more into it.Watch some natural bodybuilder videos on youtube as they have alot of useful information.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lilyobz

P.s random questions

ty in advance.

Assuming you are looking for gains in muscle mass, use free weights and not machines. Follow ICF 5x5 or Stronglifts 5x5 programmes (Google them) starting with a light weight to get technique down and progress as specified on the websites. Other than for a 5-minute warmup, if you're not doing sports that require endurance I wouldn't bother with cardio, doesn't help lean mass gain.

Yeah you should probably have a goal, but doesn't have to be specific. Could just be something like "I will follow the ICF 5x5 programme perfectly for 12 weeks" or something, help to keep you motivated if you work like that.
I'd definitely recommend booking an induction session with a personal trainer. You don't have to commit to regular sessions (although this would be great as well) but they can show you all the equipment and help you decide on goals and routines that would suit you. Some gyms even offer this for free or not much money when you join so definitely worth looking into :smile:
Reply 5
just lift best advice
http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Provides a good explanation of a popular lifting routine - with videos for the lifts themselves.

There are plenty of nutrition guides - you can find some in the FAQ section here. Essentially you should eat a calorific surplus if you want to gain mass and muscle, with a clean diet relatively high in protein - many guides will explain it much better than I can so i'll leave it at that.

If you can find someone who has previous experience lifting then it would be a good idea to ask them to come with you and give you an example of using the gym and equipment but it's not really necessary.

Have fun!
Reply 7
Original post by lilyobz

P.s random questions

ty in advance.

Best advice?

Learn from experience (within reason of course, don't attempt deadlifting etc without learning the correct form)
Reply 8
Stop giving people advice on using programs that focus primarily on compounds when they have no idea what they are doing....

When you start the gym, you always want to first ensure you are healthy enough so book in a consultation with your GP to make sure you are capable of any strenuous activities. You then need to find a family member, a friend or someone who can induct you into the gym and help you with whatever goals you have.

As for goals, we cannot tell you what your goals are because only you know them. You might want to lose weight, gain weight, tone up, strengthen, improve your cardio or have a specific goal in mind so what do you want to achieve and how long do you realistically have to achieve that goal?

You can find research and guides all over the internet that will give you the 'best routines' or the best plans but realistically you want to do your own research and find plans that are suitable and compatible to you. Everyone will tell you to begin SL 5x5, ICF 5x5 or something along those lines yet won't tell you that certain exercises require specific ways of executing them (form) and using the wrong form can lead to serious injury. You need to make sure you know what you are doing before attempting specific programs or have someone who can guide you and show you how to do them properly.

What are you goals and once we know that, we can guide you in the right direction. Please don't take the advice of people who tell you to start compound training instantly as the first response because I wouldn't trust half of them. Legit people will tell you not to do them until you know what you are doing!

Choc has wrote an in-depth and comprehensive guide in the FAQ's that will give you every bit of information you will need:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2000017
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Jamie73
Stop giving people advice on using programs that focus primarily on compounds when they have no idea what they are doing....

When you start the gym, you always want to first ensure you are healthy enough so book in a consultation with your GP to make sure you are capable of any strenuous activities. You then need to find a family member, a friend or someone who can induct you into the gym and help you with whatever goals you have.

As for goals, we cannot tell you what your goals are because only you know them. You might want to lose weight, gain weight, tone up, strengthen, improve your cardio or have a specific goal in mind so what do you want to achieve and how long do you realistically have to achieve that goal?

You can find research and guides all over the internet that will give you the 'best routines' or the best plans but realistically you want to do your own research and find plans that are suitable and compatible to you. Everyone will tell you to begin SL 5x5, ICF 5x5 or something along those lines yet won't tell you that certain exercises require specific ways of executing them (form) and using the wrong form can lead to serious injury. You need to make sure you know what you are doing before attempting specific programs or have someone who can guide you and show you how to do them properly.

What are you goals and once we know that, we can guide you in the right direction. Please don't take the advice of people who tell you to start compound training instantly as the first response because I wouldn't trust half of them. Legit people will tell you not to do them until you know what you are doing!

Choc has wrote an in-depth and comprehensive guide in the FAQ's that will give you every bit of information you will need:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2000017

wow thanks, thats a rlly detailed guide!
Original post by lilyobz

P.s random questions

ty in advance.

Depends what you want to do? Build muscle or loose weights
Reply 11
Original post by BlueGangsta
Depends what you want to do? Build muscle or loose weights

not fat, just to build muscle
Original post by lilyobz
not fat, just to build muscle

Eat loads especially protein and lift regularly. Protein can be anything from eggs to protein shakes. I take protein shakes before and after gym. Good weights are bicep curls, bench press, pull down, pectoral, alternate hammer curls. It'll take you 3-4 months to see a good physique depending on your pre body size.
Eat loads especially protein and lift regularly. Protein can be anything from eggs to protein shakes. I take protein shakes before and after gym. Good weights are bicep curls, bench press, pull down, pectoral, alternate hammer curls. It'll take you 3-4 months to see a good physique depending on your pre body size.

No.

Squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent-over rows, overhead press. Read online/go on Youtube and start with light weights to get the technique, or get a PT/experienced gym goer to teach you if you can't be bothered to learn the technique online
Original post by ttankzhang
No.

Squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent-over rows, overhead press. Read online/go on Youtube and start with light weights to get the technique, or get a PT/experienced gym goer to teach you if you can't be bothered to learn the technique online

I've been goibg to gym after my gcse finished and I've gotten good abs and defined biceps. I think I know what I'm saying, sh.
Reply 15
I would say that if you have never lifted weights I would get a PT. If you don't know any technique it is the best. I am not saying to only work out with a PT but I would get 6-10 sessions with one. It will give you an idea of how to body is and how to get it where you want it. If you want fast results is the best idea.
I've been goibg to gym after my gcse finished and I've gotten good abs and defined biceps. I think I know what I'm saying, sh.

Yeah you think you know, but you don't. You seem like a typical 'gym lad' who only cares about pecs, biceps and a six pack.
Original post by h3isenberg
Yeah you think you know, but you don't. You seem like a typical 'gym lad' who only cares about pecs, biceps and a six pack.

I know more than you
I know more than you

Yeah you're right, sorry, I forgot you have "good abs and defined biceps"

:lol:
I know more than you

Abs on a skinny guy is like boobs on a fat woman.

It doesn't count.

Quick Reply