The Student Room Group

TEFL - do you have to get a job straight away?

I'm intending to do a TEFL course some time soon - probably the CELTA.

Some questions I had- is it necessary to try and get a job abroad straight after doing the course? Or is it okay to look even after a few months etc., say if I want to travel/stay here for a bit.

Another question - after you feel like you've done your share of abroad teaching, is the TEFL qualification useful in the UK (my home country)?

Thanks!
I don't think a CELTA means anything in the UK. It means very, very little outside of the UK. What would really help you is a bachelor's degree and being white. Being a native speaker, having read a relevant discipline, and having it in a famous university help too.

You don't have to get a job right after CELTA, just as you don't need to do that after any course.
Reply 2
Ah. Well I do have an undergraduate law degree from Warwick University. I'm not white - I'm of Indian heritage.

Are you saying that a CELTA has value in the UK, if you also have a degree?

So, if I don't get a job teaching abroad straight away - and wait even up to a year, say - will this lessen my chances of getting a job later, because of the gap between learning all the stuff, and actually applying it?
Original post by pmishra2
Ah. Well I do have an undergraduate law degree from Warwick University. I'm not white - I'm of Indian heritage.

Are you saying that a CELTA has value in the UK, if you also have a degree?

So, if I don't get a job teaching abroad straight away - and wait even up to a year, say - will this lessen my chances of getting a job later, because of the gap between learning all the stuff, and actually applying it?

I don't think a CELTA has value in the UK. Indian is still good. With a law degree from Warwick you should be popular in East Asia. The CELTA will just be the icy on the cake.

As for your second question - it depends on how you present it to your prospective employers and what kind of job you're after. If you're just going to be a tutor I doubt it'd matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending