The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Yeh i was also wondering if there is one for Economics?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm doing combined honours, so I don't have a clue what i'm meant to be doing. I've started reading Frankenstein for English, but other than that I dont know... :confused:
Reply 3
If you're that desperate email the department. Otherwise, don't bother reading anything, hardly anyone else will.
Reply 4
Kentish Man
Yeh i was also wondering if there is one for Economics?

No list as such. Do a little reading on Indifferentce Curves and Isocost/Isoquant Analysis. Also, I found that the work on monopoly and oligopoly was deeper than most other bits. Other than that it is mostly A-Level stuff. If you have done A-level Economics you have a good start; about 1/5 of the people on the course haven't.
Reply 5
What I want to know is, should I buy the books the reading list tells me to? I'm doing English lit and there are about a gazillion on there (give or take a few)....:frown:
what about reading list for physics ?
ChrisH2107
No list as such. Do a little reading on Indifferentce Curves and Isocost/Isoquant Analysis. Also, I found that the work on monopoly and oligopoly was deeper than most other bits. Other than that it is mostly A-Level stuff. If you have done A-level Economics you have a good start; about 1/5 of the people on the course haven't.

Yeh i'm afraid i'm the 1/5!!
Reply 8
Kentish Man
Yeh i'm afraid i'm the 1/5!!

Me too! Looks like we both did maths though, at least. I'm not sure I can be bothered to do any reading yet (god, I'm so studious!) but we'll see. I think my brain turned to mush somewhere between the end of May and now.
Reply 9
danfel
Me too! Looks like we both did maths though, at least. I'm not sure I can be bothered to do any reading yet (god, I'm so studious!) but we'll see. I think my brain turned to mush somewhere between the end of May and now.

I heard Durham's Economics course wasn't very maths orientated though. :confused:
psycho
what about reading list for physics ?

:rofl:
loggins
I heard Durham's Economics course wasn't very maths orientated though. :confused:

Its not as maths orientated as some places like the LSE, Warwick etc. but maths plays a very important part in any Economics course as far as I know.
Kentish Man
Its not as maths orientated as some places like the LSE, Warwick etc. but maths plays a very important part in any Economics course as far as I know.

agree! thats what the dep. officer told me!
I have only received a reading list for Politics..nothing for Econ:frown: so i assume there is nothin t o read?!?!
Reply 13
Most economists can't read. They can't read this so they can't neg rep me for it.
Reply 14
Would +rep you but I gave it to someone else already.
arkbar
Most economists can't read. They can't read this so they can't neg rep me for it.
Wow really? Maybe I should bring my colouring pencils, incase I feel like taking a step up from not being able to read and switching to Geography!:eek:
Kentish Man
Wow really? Maybe I should bring my colouring pencils, incase I feel like taking a step up from not being able to read and switching to Geography!:eek:

hahahahahaha
Reply 17
Iceburn!
We all use computers now dontchaknow.

Most geographers are economists with souls and a conscience...
My department said in their welcome letter to look at the reading lists (e.g. books needed on my course this year) ONLINE and I would really like to do this because I should like to buy the most important ones before I come to Durham: I have heard that the University bookshop (Waterstone's) is very expensive. So, if anyone knows where such information is posted, I'd be really grateful. Thanks.
Reply 19
What does the website exist for? The Durham website has nothing on it! For all of the other Univs, u can find the reading lists for each dept right on the site!

Latest

Trending

Trending