The Student Room Group

How tall is tall and how short is short?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QuantumOverlord
Out of interest do these opinions apply to the average height, or maximum?

Bear in mind your height varies by up to an inch and a half a day, you are tallest in the morning after your spine has decompressed, and then you gradually shrink during the day.

Seriously??
Original post by toonervoustotalk

Are you 5"7? :tongue:
Original post by Black Cat
Are you 5"7? :tongue:

5"8:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Close :biggrin:
Original post by Ladybird23
Seriously??

Yes I'm perfectly serious. When you lie down your spine decompresses, the effect is not insignificant. Like I say for the average person (adult) its about 1.5 inches.
Reply 26
I would think that its fairly relative, isn't it?
Original post by Frosty197
I'm a girl and 5"10 (and a half) and come from a very mixed family height-wise. My mum's only 5"4, which to me is very small but everyone else says that is about normal. My dad, however, is 6"1, which I always assumed was normal until recently. I guess height is relative and all that. To me 5"8 and up is tall for a girl, and 6"1+ is tall for a guy. What do you think?

P.S. One of my friends insists that she's taller than me. Even when we measured each other and she came out at 5"9 she says we measured wrong. I think it's because I hit my growth spurt late. I wouldn't mind but it means that I always end up in the middle seat in cars and it's very uncomfortable. How can I make her see?

Yeah, 5,4 is quite normal, I'm 5,4 and most of the girls I know and my mum are around a similar height, give or take an inch or two in either direction.
I think it's different with girls and guys like you said.. so..
girls; 5,1 and below is small, 5.7 and above is tall
guys; 5,5 and below is small, 5,8 and above is tall.

Also, make someone else measure you and your friend with a tape measure who can give you an impartial opinion, so she can't argue anymore, you'll know for sure your heights. Stand your ground next time for the end seat (:

Here you go OP... it's pretty accurate except for the suicide bit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Frosty197
Srsly wish I could do that but she's four stone heavier than me and I'm weak :s-smilie:

Well if she's four stone heavier than you with not much difference in height, then obviously she's bigger than you in general. Doesn't seem too unfair.
Original post by TheGuyReturns

Wooo, I'm King of the Manlets.
im 17 and 5,2 but my mum is 5,10 XD dunno if im gonna grow in since i started my period at 16 and so did she sooooooooo :/ (dont judge me, its not my fault)
I'm 5ft10 which is pretty tall for a girl. I met a girl who was 6ft once and I felt she was the best friend I never had *sigh* :frown:
For a guy 6ft and above is tall
For a girl I'd say 5ft8 and above is tall
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say for a girl above 5'5 is tall. For a guy above 5'10 is tall. I'm 5'2.5 and I feel so short around people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say for a girl 5ft7+ is tall since the average height is 5ft4
For a guy I'd say 5ft11+ is tall
I'm 5ft7 girl and everyone treats me as if I'm a giant , maybe because most of my friends are around 5ft4 but everyone thinks im sooo tall for some reason :tongue: so I guess I am

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by TheGuyReturns

I'm a bloke who's only 5'4".... Oh dear! :lol:
Reply 36
Original post by Greg Jackson
5'8'' and under = manlet
5'9''-5'11'' = manverage
6'0''+ = manmore

That's clearly wrong, it's like this:

5'9" and under = manlet
5'10" = king of manlets
5'11"- 6'1" = manlet cut-off status
6'2- 6'4" = alpha status
6'4" and above = manmore