The Student Room Group

Are you/do you want to be an organ donor?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Registered about a year ago! Anything but my eyes :s-smilie:
Forever alone in the My personal beliefs prevent me from being an organ donor category.

:rolleyes:

I am actually surprised there are so many people who are or want to be organ donors.
Original post by spanker
Forever alone in the My personal beliefs prevent me from being an organ donor category.

:rolleyes:

I am actually surprised there are so many people who are or want to be organ donors.

Why's that?
I'm on the organ donor register. I have absolutely no reason not to be; once I'm dead and gone, I won't be needing my organs anymore, but there are plenty of people who will!

I'm also on the Anthony Nolan register, and would have given blood by now if it wasn't for all the restrictions about being under a certain height and weight.
I think I'm registered to give everything, I'm not going to need them when I'm dead so why not put them to good use? I'd also like my brain to be donated to medical science.
I'm scared about the prospect of my organs being harvested after I die... It's just a horrifying thought that there won't be much of me left by the end. I do want to donate though
Original post by SophieSmall
Why's that?

I just feel that when I die and get cremated, I need all my body parts to actually be "free" when my ashes are spread.

If one of my organs are inside someone else then I am being held back in a way.

-Excuse meh if that doesn't make much sense but that is just the way I feel about it.

Also do not really like the idea of being inside someone permanently. (No sexual innuendo intended:wink:)
Original post by spanker
I just feel that when I die and get cremated, I need all my body parts to actually be "free" when my ashes are spread.

If one of my organs are inside someone else then I am being held back in a way.

-Excuse meh if that doesn't make much sense but that is just the way I feel about it.

Also do not really like the idea of being inside someone permanently. (No sexual innuendo intended:wink:)

Aha so you're a bit of a spiritual being?

I like the idea of my organs being in someone else, it's like I get to live longer through other people :colone:
First thing I did when I turned sixteen. When I turn eighteen I'll sign up for bone marrow too.
Aha so you're a bit of a spiritual being?

I like the idea of my organs being in someone else, it's like I get to live longer through other people :colone:

Yeah I guess you could say that I am.

Anything to live a little longer? :cool:
Original post by spanker
Yeah I guess you could say that I am.

Anything to live a little longer? :cool:

That's cool, can't say I am myself.
Question though, would you accept an organ donation?

And nah I was just being silly :tongue:
Original post by ILovePancakes
First thing I did when I turned sixteen. When I turn eighteen I'll sign up for bone marrow too.

You can join the bone marrow register through Anthony Nolan from the age of 16, they lowered the age not so long ago. All you need to do is go online, they'll send the stuff out to you to send a saliva sample and a few weeks later you'll get a letter informing you you're on the register.
Original post by moonkatt
You can join the bone marrow register through Anthony Nolan from the age of 16, they lowered the age not so long ago. All you need to do is go online, they'll send the stuff out to you to send a saliva sample and a few weeks later you'll get a letter informing you you're on the register.

Oh wow, thanks :biggrin:. I tried to when I first turned sixteen and it didn't let me. Will do now!
Original post by ILovePancakes
Oh wow, thanks :biggrin:. I tried to when I first turned sixteen and it didn't let me. Will do now!

It's only recently (maybe in the last year or so I think) that it's changed.

Just a point for anyone in this thread who is thinking about registering as any sort of donor be it blood, bone marrow or organ. Please talk this through with your family and let them know what your wishes are and why you want to register. With organ donation it's better they know that you'd like to help someone in the event of your death, as it stands in the UK at present, the family/NOK still have final say when it comes to consent.
That's cool, can't say I am myself.
Question though, would you accept an organ donation?

And nah I was just being silly :tongue:

Nah I wouldn't accept an organ donation, I am also more of a "if it happens, deal with it" kind of person. So if that means that I die earlier so be it. I am all for fighting to live an all but that is where I will draw the line.
Original post by moonkatt
It's only recently (maybe in the last year or so I think) that it's changed.

Just a point for anyone in this thread who is thinking about registering as any sort of donor be it blood, bone marrow or organ. Please talk this through with your family and let them know what your wishes are and why you want to register. With organ donation it's better they know that you'd like to help someone in the event of your death, as it stands in the UK at present, the family/NOK still have final say when it comes to consent.

I'm officially on the bone marrow donation register now!
Original post by spanker
Nah I wouldn't accept an organ donation, I am also more of a "if it happens, deal with it" kind of person. So if that means that I die earlier so be it. I am all for fighting to live an all but that is where I will draw the line.

Ahh...interesting. Wasn't expecting that :tongue:
Ahh...interesting. Wasn't expecting that :tongue:

Was you expecting me to be one of those people who would happily take an organ from someone else, but not give one?
:tongue:
I am not that kind of person :smile:

- Don't ask me what kind of person I am either because I really don't know. :redface:
Original post by spanker
Was you expecting me to be one of those people who would happily take an organ from someone else, but not give one?
:tongue:
I am not that kind of person :smile:

- Don't ask me what kind of person I am either because I really don't know. :redface:

Yeah I'll admit I was expecting that, there are a lot of people who are like that :/

hey you take care of yourself and don't go needing any organs now okay?! I'd be annoyed at you :tongue:
Original post by Madeline_H95
I have nothing wrong with the principle as my organs will only rot away in the ground if I don't but the thought of an undeserving person having my organs makes me sick.

The stories about disabled children being given a new life a great but on the opposite side of the specturm convicted rapists, murderers and peadophiles have been know to have an organ transplant. In my opinion people with such convictions should autmatically be at the bottom of the queue and anyone without such a conviction who needs a transplant can leap frog them in the queue. In toher words, such criminals would probably not receive the transplant. The same things applies to blood.

The criminals are the minority though so I'll still donate and hope a deserving person is given a new life.

You cannot predict the future. One of those disabled children could go on to be a murderer or rapist. Similarly the murderer or rapist could be reformed and become a really good person. I understand you preferring others to get your organs but would you prefer to let your organs Rot than give them to an 'undeserving' person?

Quick Reply

Latest