The Student Room Group

Are you/do you want to be an organ donor?

Poll

Are you/Do you want to be an organ donor

Hey Guys;

Well, I just filled out the organ donor form online and wondered how many people are or want to be organ donors? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I signed up while doing my provisional licence :smile:
Reply 2
Yes I'm registered as an organ donor. All of my family are too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have nothing wrong with the principle as my organs will only rot away in the ground if I don't but the thought of an undeserving person having my organs makes me sick.

The stories about disabled children being given a new life a great but on the opposite side of the specturm convicted rapists, murderers and peadophiles have been know to have an organ transplant. In my opinion people with such convictions should autmatically be at the bottom of the queue and anyone without such a conviction who needs a transplant can leap frog them in the queue. In toher words, such criminals would probably not receive the transplant. The same things applies to blood.

The criminals are the minority though so I'll still donate and hope a deserving person is given a new life.
Reply 4
I'm registered to give everything except for my eyes. I don't know why, but the thought of somebody looking through my eyes makes me feel nauseas.
I'm registered to give everything, I think.
I wouldn't want to be an organ donor as that would mean I'm dead and that wouldn't be very nice. However, I'm on the register for them to take what is of any use should I die.
The thought creeps me out a bit, but I'm considering becoming a donor...:smile:
I'd like to be an organ donor, yes.

I am happy to give life to another individual in order to keep them alive and safe. It will be satisfying to know that I've made a person's life just that little bit better and they'll be happy :smile:
Original post by Revel
I'm registered to give everything except for my eyes. I don't know why, but the thought of somebody looking through my eyes makes me feel nauseas.

Is that you Karl?

OT: Registered to give everything.
I signed up to be a donor quite a few years ago now. I like knowing that when I die my healthy organs can help someone else to live. It's not like they're useful to me when I'm dead!
Reply 11
Ive been an organ donor for the past 3/4 years, except my eyes. I think that if you'd be willing to accept an organ if you were in need then you should be willing to donate.
Well done OP! :biggrin:

I've been an organ donor since I was able to sign up. All organs since I won't really need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm registered to donate every delectable piece of me. Wish however, I could sell some of me and live it as an inheritance
Reply 14
I will be organising it soon, but I'm definitely not giving my eyes away since I think it would be bad to go and pass on my shortsightedness onto someone else
Original post by Revel

I've done the same, but more because the idea of being a corpse with no eyes really creeps me out
Reply 16
My uncle had a kidney transplant and it extended his life by years. I was so grateful for the extra time we got to spend with him that I registered to be a donor as soon as I could.
I'm a registered organ donor. I signed up to donate everything, don't think any part should go to waste if it could help someone.
Reply 18
Original post by Madeline_H95
I have nothing wrong with the principle as my organs will only rot away in the ground if I don't but the thought of an undeserving person having my organs makes me sick.

The stories about disabled children being given a new life a great but on the opposite side of the specturm convicted rapists, murderers and peadophiles have been know to have an organ transplant. In my opinion people with such convictions should autmatically be at the bottom of the queue and anyone without such a conviction who needs a transplant can leap frog them in the queue. In toher words, such criminals would probably not receive the transplant. The same things applies to blood.

The criminals are the minority though so I'll still donate and hope a deserving person is given a new life.

I would like to point out that the organs have to be compatible with the receiver (same tissue type) so you are limited by which matches are compatible, but I do agree with you if you have an organ which can go to multiple people that you have to choose between.
Original post by bekbok
I would like to point out that the organs have to be compatible with the receiver (same tissue type) so you are limited by which matches are compatible, but I do agree with you if you have an organ which can go to multiple people that you have to choose between.

there's also an issue of foreign donation as there was something going around about a foreign national having an organ from someone in the UK in a UK hospital but a British child missed out and died. It seems all hugely coincidental and how they knwo the organ matched I don't know but if it's true, there's a question to be asked about it.

Quick Reply

Latest