The Student Room Group

Is working as a receptionists/admininstrator a disadvantage?

Hey guys.. got a ques 4 u.. i m on a gap year and applying to medicine for 2007 entry.. I work as a receptionists/administrator in a private college but i m not too sure if it is a disadvantage since its not related to medicine and is more of a business related... do u think i sud find a job in a hospital or a pharmacy or summin related to med which wud help me more? Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Reply 1
sumi101
Hey guys.. got a ques 4 u.. i m on a gap year and applying to medicine for 2007 entry.. I work as a receptionists/administrator in a private college but i m not too sure if it is a disadvantage since its not related to medicine and is more of a business related... do u think i sud find a job in a hospital or a pharmacy or summin related to med which wud help me more? Any suggestions would be much appreciated

I think it would be good to get some experience related to healthcare - but there are many skills you can develop whilst working in your current job - dealing with the public/communication skills, organisation skills, team work etc. are all valuable assets which an interviewer would be looking for. Why not get some voluntary work in a hospital alongside?
Reply 2
nhs careers website is good for finding jobs in the nhs. All u do is iput the job u wana do, where it is and a loada jobs pop up. once u fill the form out once, it saves it so u can aply 4 a loada jobs easily (thats what I did anyway)
Reply 3
It's what you make of it that counts.
Reply 4
I have done few voluntary work in medical environment and have been volunteering in the hospital since August 2005. is that enough?
Reply 5
sumi101
I have done few voluntary work in medical environment and have been volunteering in the hospital since August 2005. is that enough?

It depends if you think you've gained enough from it - it's more to do with quality than quantity ... do you think you've learned something about working within the NHS during your voluntary work? Have you developed key skills from the work you've done or learned something about yourself & your strengths and weaknesses? Would you be able to discuss it during an interview?
Reply 6
there is just doing it for the sake of it and there is doing it because you actually want to, do you feel that you are doing the voluntary work because you feel obliged to???
You're not going to be disadvantaged because you took on a job to earn some money during your gap year. Realistically, paid caring jobs for people with few relevant qualifications can be hard to come by (though they do exist - HCA/phlebotomist, for example), particularly if you live in a remote area. Provided you feel that you've done enough work experience/voluntary work to feel confident that you want to study medicine (and yes, to tick all the boxes) then I can't see it being a problem at all. Enjoy it and get a lot from it.

Latest

Trending

Trending