The Student Room Group

Getting Stoned

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexs2602
You don't need to be a pharmacologist, you just need to look up some information in order to make sure you're being safe. You are the definition of an irresponsible, unsafe drug user. You are why drugs and drug users have bad reputations. You're a good example of what can happen if you're not careful.

So you say ......

Original post by ElChapo
It's all very well saying this, but if someone hands you some mandy at a party for the first time most people aren't gonna say cheers then do some research on their phone before they take it. Me personally I don't dabble in those drugs so it's not a problem for me. But in a social situation people don't really think twice before doing what all their friends are doing

Posted from TSR Mobile

What he says is real whereas what alexs says isn't real.
You don't need to be a pharmacologist, you just need to look up some information in order to make sure you're being safe. You are the definition of an irresponsible, unsafe drug user. You are why drugs and drug users have bad reputations. You're a good example of what can happen if you're not careful.

But a lot of people aren't clever, and is it reasonable to expect them to be? People don't learn about drugs like MDMA and what doses to take etc. (if they are going to) at school, so unless they do their own research they won't really know. So if taking MDMA is a spontaneous decision by somebody at a party or something, it can then very quickly become a dangerous drug.

I know a person who almost died from using MDMA. He used cocaine on nights out before MDMA and didn't really know near anything about MDMA. Cocaine is taken in higher amounts than MDMA, he was having about 3 grams of cocaine on a night out. He just presumed since MDMA wasn't as notorious as a drug, and anybody who's taken MDMA would know somebody who's never taken it before having 3 grams on their first time would have potentially lethal consequences. Thankfully he didn't die, but MDMA can be a very dangerous drug to those who don't have knowledge of how to do it responsibly, and considering schools don't teach this not everybody will end up doing their research before taking MDMA.
I think stoning people is wrong . There are more humane ways of killing people
Original post by ElChapo
It's all very well saying this, but if someone hands you some mandy at a party for the first time most people aren't gonna say cheers then do some research on their phone before they take it. Me personally I don't dabble in those drugs so it's not a problem for me. But in a social situation people don't really think twice before doing what all their friends are doing

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've kinda got a point. At that point it's up to you whether you decide to take the risk or bow to peer pressure. You've kinda got to judge the risks of whether you can trust a friend. Personally I care about my health; I'd be hesitant or wouldn't make a habit of it without research. I like to know what I'm taking.

Original post by Arketec
So you say ......

What he says is real whereas what alexs says isn't real.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He kinda has a point but we've already established you irresponsible. Why does it matter what you think?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JG1233
But a lot of people aren't clever, and is it reasonable to expect them to be? People don't learn about drugs like MDMA and what doses to take etc. (if they are going to) at school, so unless they do their own research they won't really know. So if taking MDMA is a spontaneous decision by somebody at a party or something, it can then very quickly become a dangerous drug.

I know a person who almost died from using MDMA. He used cocaine on nights out before MDMA and didn't really know near anything about MDMA. Cocaine is taken in higher amounts than MDMA, he was having about 3 grams of cocaine on a night out. He just presumed since MDMA wasn't as notorious as a drug, and anybody who's taken MDMA would know somebody who's never taken it before having 3 grams on their first time would have potentially lethal consequences. Thankfully he didn't die, but MDMA can be a very dangerous drug to those who don't have knowledge of how to do it responsibly, and considering schools don't teach this not everybody will end up doing their research before taking MDMA.

To be honest I think it's precisely because we tend to know so much about the dangers of legal drugs such as alcohol and tobacco that it's reasonable we try to learn about dangers and harm reduction methods associated with illegal drugs where possible and ideally avoid those drugs that not much is currently known about. It's obviously harder to do with government propaganda and it being less readily available but we should still look into it. In fact it's because it's illegal we should look into it all that more carefully because the illegal drug market isn't regulated like the legal drug market is.

Lack of knowledge is dangerous.
Pills are probably about as dangerous as powder or safer if you know what you're doing. If you know the presses and which ones are from reputable sources then you're arguably safer. Pill reports(a website) can be helpful there if you look for tested pills. But you bought up a fair point. MDMA in itself isn't that dangerous but what dealers sell as MDMA might be more so. Methylone, PMA. Powder can also have low purity MDMA or have no MDMA in it, like pills. Most powder drugs out there are off white. Though MDMA can come in two colours depending on synthesis method. Safrole based MDMA has a brownish tint.

All that being said there are harm reduction methods. Drugs can be tested. In the Netherlands you can send pills to a lab and for a small fee they will test the actual contents of a pill but obviously we can't do that in the UK. That being said there are reagent tests that test the presence of drugs out there. Not the most reliable, because they test for the presence and obviously aren't able to test simultaneously for two different present drugs, but better than nothing. There's also a new test that apparently tests purity but I don't know much about it because it's so new.

This is all well and good, but the vast majority of people who take ecstasy in a club will take whatever's given to them, making it dangerous.

I do agree with you, though, and think there are a lot of drugs that can be taken safely. I would happily take certain drugs if I knew they were made in laboratory conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He kinda has a point but we've already established you irresponsible. Why does it matter what you think?

It matters what I think because I exsist. I may be irresponsible but I take responsibility for what I do myself.
Original post by pane123
This is all well and good, but the vast majority of people who take ecstasy in a club will take whatever's given to them, making it dangerous.

I do agree with you, though, and think there are a lot of drugs that can be taken safely. I would happily take certain drugs if I knew they were made in laboratory conditions.

All drugs are made in laboratory conditions.
Original post by Arketec
All drugs are made in laboratory conditions.

No they aren't. Regulated laboratory conditions then.
Original post by pane123
No they aren't. Regulated laboratory conditions then.

Yeah there are a lot of **** drugs out there don't fall for the trap.
Reply 190
Original post by pane123
How can you possibly know that?

It remains popular in Amsterdam, where it has been legal for a rather long time.

More teenagers smoke cannabis in London than in Amsterdam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that a fact? It's probably true, given the population of London is about 10 times that of Amsterdam.

Crap post, though.
Original post by pane123

Well, does that mean ecstasy itself is dangerous or the dealers and buyers are what make it dangerous? I'm being pedantic, I'd say buying ecstasy is risky.

Well, I guess it depends what you mean by laboratory conditions. I mean I think there are a few that you can find made in laboratory conditions but it depends on the drug... and what happens between the lab and the consumer. How it's cut or presented. Of the well known drugs LSD is probably a good example of one that isn't interfered with but that said from what I hear most "acid" you find on the street isn't actually LSD, it's part of the 25x-nBOME group or DOx group.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Original post by pane123
Is that a fact? It's probably true, given the population of London is about 10 times that of Amsterdam.

Crap post, though.

Look up the facts. Cannabis use is higher where illegal and lower where decriminalised or legal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a cannabis legal age in the Netherlands and don't mistake a difference in cultural attitudes for evidence of your claim.
Original post by Ggmu!
Look up the facts. Cannabis use is higher where illegal and lower where decriminalised or legal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given the number of places where it is legal, do you have data on any places other than Amsterdam? Also how do they carry out this survey, I've not been asked whether I smoked. Those facts are pretty rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
There's a cannabis legal age in the Netherlands and don't mistake a difference in cultural attitudes for evidence of your claim.

Original post by ElChapo
Given the number of places where it is legal, do you have data on any places other than Amsterdam? Also how do they carry out this survey, I've not been asked whether I smoked. Those facts are pretty rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I could find the article and graphic I saw a year back or so, it coincided with a major report that also took into the account the reduction of cannabis use in Portugal after drugs had been decriminalised. It showed Canada, the UK and USA having more adolescent cannabis smokers per capita than the Netherlands and Portugal, I think Portugal had the lowest rate of use.

Not ever cannabis smoker is a web designer with a mac book. Lots of them are chavs on estates. And there is no doubt many of them do it because it's illegal. Legalise, remove the aura and I'm sure it's usage would drop.

Don't fool yourselves into thinking you're all unique and special. It's just crowd behaviour; we want what we can't have. Even if you are the ones who smoked it for other reasons (eg I used to hear it in hip hop from a young age + my friend offered it to me once and the timing was right) but on a subconscious level, it's illegality has an effect, even if not directly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I smoke weed every day and i have for 6 years, much nicer than alcohol.

Quick Reply

Latest