The Student Room Group

New 'creepy' cover for Charlie and the Chocolate factory

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr...
Then I retract my thanks :ninja: :smug:

Nah, it was me.
I'm also in the minority of people who are okay with the cover, although admittedly it could have focused more on the central ideas of the novel such as Charlie or the factory. Creepy? A little, yes. However, I do think that Penguin Modern Classics tend to go for a more 'abstract' front cover rather than the obvious. It captures the imagination, and in this case, it's certainly had people thinking, trying to deduce what exactly the image means.

When I first saw the image, I instantly thought of Veruca Salt because of the little girl. Not the main character of the piece, but nonetheless a character from the story. Perhaps with the bright colours, they tried to capture the fantasy element of the book, and the vividness - I mean, a chocolate factory such as Willy Wonka's is unlikely to exist in real life. That's another thing I noticed - the blank, almost doll-like expression on the girl's face. From what I have read, Roald Dahl's work sometimes has an underlying theme or message that goes directly above the heads of children. The thing with his work is that both children and adults can interpret his stories and enjoy them. Whether or not you deem the cover 'sexual' is down to personal opinion, but in it I see a mixture of both darkness and light, and the first thing you'll probably notice is the bright colour. Hence, light - children, in this case - prevail.

That's my two cents on the cover anyway. I'm not very good at analyzing things, but the topic was there so I wanted to add my opinions. I do think Penguin were trying to capture a much darker element of the story with the cover, but perhaps this wasn't the most suitable cover to do that?

:smile:
Original post by Mr...
Then I retract my retraction :tongue:

Maybe that's just tracting?
lol what does that cover even symbolise?
I don't see anything sexual about it :confused: am i the only one?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

As hilariously stupid as this photo is... no, I can't argue for it being decent. It's so bad :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl3:
Original post by brownsugar-xx
I don't see anything sexual about it :confused: am i the only one?

Quite possibly, but it's comforting that someone sees it as you do.
Yeah no idea what it has to do with the book either. If it is meant to be a social commentary on society ie) look at the materialistic and spoilt brats then at least use one of the characters in the book. Although it is targeted at adults i think people should be given more credit in that they would read a book with a less 'shocking' or outlandish cover. A lot of the classics are simple on the front, but hey- it generated a nice bit of publicity.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Quite possibly, but it's comforting that someone sees it as you do.

That's quite odd, I usually go through life seeing things through sex-tinted glasses so i don't know why this doesn't make me feel or think anything :laugh:

BTW you made me google the Jon Benet murder, interesting stuff.
That's quite odd, I usually go through life seeing things through sex-tinted glasses so i don't know why this doesn't make me feel or think anything :laugh:

BTW you made me google the Jon Benet murder, interesting stuff.

Everyone has a day off now and again...

Yes, the Jon-Benet case is a fascinating one. Appallingly sad in so many ways.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Everyone has a day off now and again...

Yes, the Jon-Benet case is a fascinating one. Appallingly sad in so many ways.

Yeah, it's just gone over my head haha.

Quick question: Who do you suspect?
It's certainly not what I'd expect to see as a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory cover... It's creepy :s
Yeah, it's just gone over my head haha.

Quick question: Who do you suspect?

I've no idea. All angles seem both possible and impossible. It's been a while since I read the details, but if it's the kind of thing that floats your boat, Perfect Victims by Bill James is a very erudite and scholarly view of murder cases and their place in the media spotlight and it covers the case in quite some detail.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Victims-Slaughter-Sensation-American-ebook/dp/B005ANBNBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407878016&sr=8-1&keywords=perfect+victims+bill+james
(edited 9 years ago)
Well there's a few sinister plot elements to the book - that picture doesn't look like it'd be very appealing to the core audience tho. looks verry pink and girly.

Don't really understand why they couldn't have run the Quentin Blake cartoony covers till doomsday really.
Original post by Joinedup
Well there's a few sinister plot elements to the book - that picture doesn't look like it'd be very appealing to the core audience tho. looks verry pink and girly.

Don't really understand why they couldn't have run the Quentin Blake cartoony covers till doomsday really.

Alas, there are other non-Quentin covers: :frown:

More like 'The Great Gatsby' . . . No way is that sexual though. But it just looks . . . creepy. That book will give me nightmares now.

I think the cover should have been the Golden ticket on a table or something with Willy Wonka's hat beside it. Much more relevant.
The picture's too creepy and unrelated. It confuses those who have actually read the book. :frown:
Reply 57
Isn't that the rich girl who fell down the chute

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Alas, there are other non-Quentin covers: :frown:

#2 doesn't seem to have any serious flaws tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending