The Student Room Group

Never really had close friends.

This has been troubling me for some while now.

I'm quite a popular person, always had loads of friends and not many enemies. However, I've never had "a best friend", or someone very close. I love the friends I have now, but I wouldn't class them as close friends, just friends. I also find it hard to stay in touch with old friends form school now that I'm at uni. I just kind of move from one friends stage to another without an in-between (does that even make sense??:rolleyes: ). I do like my own company, and prefer to sit in lectures with no one near (usually so there's no distraction), also cos all the girls giggle too much. Maybe thats another thing - I find other girls in my year a bit immature. Am I normal? Anyone else like this. Anyone want to psychoanalyse this?

Thanks
Reply 1
Anonymous

I'm quite a popular person, always had loads of friends and not many enemies. However, I've never had "a best friend", or someone very close. I love the friends I have now, but I wouldn't class them as close friends, just friends. I also find it hard to stay in touch with old friends form school now that I'm at uni. I just kind of move from one friends stage to another without an in-between (does that even make sense??:rolleyes: ). I do like my own company, and prefer to sit in lectures with no one near (usually so there's no distraction), also cos all the girls giggle too much. Maybe thats another thing - I find other girls in my year a bit immature. Am I normal? Anyone else like this. Anyone want to psychoanalyse this?

Thanks

Well i shall have a go!

In relation to your question you are not weird and there is nothing with you.

There are many people who do not have a close or best friend and have loads of mates like yourself. But then there are those who have one close friend and no one else.

Don't worry its cool and there is nothing wrong with you! If i was to be a little picky i would think that you feel lonely but you say you lke your own company so i guess i am wrong. :confused:

Also there are loads of immature people especially some girls!

Dont worry, Chill. :smile:
Well closeness comes from knowing someone intimately. Try revealing something intimate about yourself (not too intimate, just slightly more than you might normally), then wait for them to match that level with something they tell you, then you can reveal something more intimate etc.

That probably doesnt make sense. I hope you get what I mean.
Anonymous

Thanks

you sound completely normal. it is not your fault you find people immature. i think it shows you are a very conscientious student, if you sit away from people without distractions. its a very good thing!

as for the best friend thing: Be thankful! best friends are only there to stab you in the back when you least expect it. yes, i had a bad experiance, and yes, it happened today.
at uni, i dont have a "best" friend either, just lots of people i am friends with. after this experiance with someone i thought was my best friend from school, i think its better not to have one. no point in getting too attached to one person...
Weird and Wonderful
Well i shall have a go!

In relation to your question you are not weird and there is nothing with you.

There are many people who do not have a close or best friend and have loads of mates like yourself. But then there are those who have one close friend and no one else.

Don't worry its cool and there is nothing wrong with you! If i was to be a little picky i would think that you feel lonely but you say you lke your own company so i guess i am wrong. :confused:

Also there are loads of immature people especially some girls!

Dont worry, Chill. :smile:

Anonymous

Thanks

you sound completely normal. it is not your fault you find people immature. i think it shows you are a very conscientious student, if you sit away from people without distractions. its a very good thing!

as for the best friend thing: Be thankful! best friends are only there to stab you in the back when you least expect it. yes, i had a bad experiance, and yes, it happened today.
at uni, i dont have a "best" friend either, just lots of people i am friends with. after this experiance with someone i thought was my best friend from school, i think its better not to have one. no point in getting too attached to one person...
im in the very same situation...not to be vein, but i was really quite popular in college, had loads of friends and not really any enemies....but then there wasnt a group which i was alway with, so again i didnt have a CLOSE set of friends etc....im moving to uni this year, and i know i wont keep regular contact with half my friends from college, but hey people have told me that you can make new friend easily. its quite a weird situation to be in...
Reply 6
Good, it means you're self-reliant and strong.
Reply 7
Well I've had the same problem because I move so much.

I usually make some friends but don't get to be with them long enough to call them my best before I move again :'(

Although where I live now, I know this one guy who I knew for literally a week and we were practically inseperable after that, like we knew each other for 100 years. It's by far the best friend I've ever had. Although i must say that most of my really good friends are people I know vio online games etc. on the internet, they don't judge me on my looks, race, religion etc and they're constant since I'll always have internet. :biggrin:
You should not worry too much about it not everyone has close friends. I have had like 'best friends' but we kinda dwift apart it that makes sense. Although saying that when growing up i was real close friends with someone and they moved away:frown: we have started to keep in contact again but were not as close as before.
You just sound like a person who doesn't connect with people on a deep level. You're more comfortable keeping things on an appearance, social basis.
Reply 10
Cheer up!

Refreshing to know if I have any problems this forum is obviously the best place to come. Solutions to all of lifes problems.

Latest

Trending

Trending