The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Do you have any questions about Keele uni? Ask away

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cinnie
I'm a third year student. If you have any questions about life at Keele / stoke on trent / keele facilities / freshers / nights out e.c.t. I'm your girl :smile:

Hi, just wanted to know if it better to live on campus for the first year or at home? How much is the accommodation on average? Another thing I wanted to know is what are the Law facilities like as I've been looking at some combined law courses?

Thank you :smile:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by Sean Pilsbury
Hi, just wanted to know if it better to live on campus for the first year or at home? How much is the accommodation on average? Another thing I wanted to know is what are the Law facilities like as I've been looking at some combined law courses?

Thank you :smile:

Hi Sean,

My name's Illana and I work at Keele University as a Graduate Assistant in the Residence Support office. I've been named an official University rep to engage with students on The Student Room in order to answer any questions you may have...

Are you planning on commuting to Keele from home? Ultimately the choice is yours, though living on campus can have a real positive impact on the student experience! If you go to http://www.keele.ac.uk/studyatkeele/accommodation/newstudents/feesroomtypes/ you will see that On-Campus accommodation at the University is grouped in Bands, according to facilities in your room as well as the length of stay.

Whilst I can't comment much on the facilities in the Law School (I studied Psychology), I trust that you may be able to find out the information you're looking for on the University's Law page on the website!

http://www.keele.ac.uk/law/studylaw/

Do you have any other questions at all? Feel free to ask!
Thanks a lot :biggrin: just one more thing :P why is their two prices ie band A and band B for the same room type? What's the difference?

Another thing which would be great is if you could tell me if i could come and have a look at the university with a member of my family on the 15th November after 4pm or wouldnt this be able to go ahead.
:biggrin: thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sean Pilsbury
Thanks a lot :biggrin: just one more thing :P why is their two prices ie band A and band B for the same room type? What's the difference?

Another thing which would be great is if you could tell me if i could come and have a look at the university with a member of my family on the 15th November after 4pm or wouldnt this be able to go ahead.
:biggrin: thanks

Hi Sean,

There's a bit of text below the table with some smallprint - the difference between Band A & Band B room types is that Band B students are in an accommodation block which has a higher ratio of students sharing kitchens and bathrooms, which is why it is slightly cheaper.

I encourage you to come up to the University on an Open or Visit Day - have you booked yourself on to one at all? You'll have an opportunity to see some halls accommodation, as well as attend talks and visit stalls to get all the information you need. After 4pm on the weekend is a bit of a tricky time to visit, I can't imagine there will be much open to see for yourself. However, if you do find some time, it may be possible to arrange an independent visit. :smile:
All the information you need to arrange one can be found here: http://www.keele.ac.uk/visiting/independentvisits/

Let me know if you have anything else to ask!
Illana (Residence Support Graduate Assistant)
Thank you very much Illana, I'll let you know if I have any more questions :biggrin:
Sean
Reply 165
Hey,
I'm looking to apply to Keele for next years Business Management + Marketing double honours. The entry requirements are ABC. I'm predicted these grades for next year but my current AS grades currently stand at BCC. Do you think my AS grades will cost me an offer?? Many thanks for any help!!
Matt
Original post by mattjc
Hey,

I'm looking to apply to Keele for next years Business Management + Marketing double honours. The entry requirements are ABC. I'm predicted these grades for next year but my current AS grades currently stand at BCC. Do you think my AS grades will cost me an offer?? Many thanks for any help!!
Matt

Hi Matt,

Whilst I cannot guarantee that you will receive an offer, if your predicted grades do stand at ABC, I'm sure when coupled with a strong personal statement, you would stand a good chance of being made an offer.

If you would like some further clarification, it may be worthwhile ringing the admissions team to see their stance on the matter. They can be contacted via the following:

Undergraduate - (01782) 734005
Email: [email protected]

I hope that this has helped, but don't hesitate to ask if there is anything else!

Ian
Reply 167
Many thanks Ian that's great! I've emailed admissions out of curiosity, hopefully my personal statement will suffice after a few more drafts :smile:
Hello,

I have a few things to ask. I'm applying to Keele for the second time and I thought I might as well look into it more (Although I attended an open day early this year)

How is the social life at Keele? Is the SU very active?
How are new students who came this year finding Keele?
How is Keele for Joint Honours? Do you feel properly supported by lectures?
Are people finding the support and faculties for Biology at Keele good?

Thanks
Anyone applying to do Social Work BA? Or can give me any feedback about the course? :smile:
Original post by Youni-chan
Hello,

I have a few things to ask. I'm applying to Keele for the second time and I thought I might as well look into it more (Although I attended an open day early this year)

How is the social life at Keele? Is the SU very active?
How are new students who came this year finding Keele?
How is Keele for Joint Honours? Do you feel properly supported by lectures?
Are people finding the support and faculties for Biology at Keele good?

Thanks

Hi I'm a first year, and the SU is pretty good and they host good events fairly frequently - it seems quite active to me (I like it)
I'm new to Keele this year, and I am enjoying myself so far, most people seem friendly and I was amazed at how easy it is to settle in after the first week or so.
I can't really answer your last two questions, as I'm a single honours psychology student, but my lecturers seem good :smile:
Overall, I'm enjoying Keele and can't think of anything bad to say about it, and I'm glad that I chose to come here. Good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by Keele University
x

Hi I wanted to know what the pass mark is for the Computer Science with a Science foundation year to progress onto the first year of the degree. I can find the % pass marks for the other subjects in the science foundation year but cant find anything on computer science.
Original post by Cinnie
Hey - If you have any questions about life at Keele / stoke on trent / keele facilities / freshers / nights out e.c.t. I'm your girl :smile:

Hi! I'm coming to Keele in September and I'm really excited. From looking at its history, there is a lot of left-wing activism (like the rise of the Free Republic of Keele) and I was wondering if there's still a strong political feeling? I won't be studying politics but I really do love it and I want to know if there's possibilities of continuing my activism at Keele, I was wondering if it's more or less politically active than other universities and if so, does it lean in a certain way?
Hi! If results day goes well, I will be attending Keele in September however I was just wondering how a student would go about getting a parking permit at Keele? I know that it's quite hard and students aren't allowed to bring cars in general (along with locals getting quite angry in recent years) but my parents want me to take it as they want me to have the freedom of coming home whenever I want without the hassle of train timetables/prices. A car is cheaper in the long run.
Is this possible? As I know there's student parking at many of the accommodation buildings. How would I go about getting one, if at all? I'm not fussy as I'll just make do in the first year & bring the car in the second year when I'm off student accommodation but a car would be convenient as I live quite far & already know I'll get majorly home sick often :P

Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
Hi! If results day goes well, I will be attending Keele in September however I was just wondering how a student would go about getting a parking permit at Keele? I know that it's quite hard and students aren't allowed to bring cars in general (along with locals getting quite angry in recent years) but my parents want me to take it as they want me to have the freedom of coming home whenever I want without the hassle of train timetables/prices. A car is cheaper in the long run.
Is this possible? As I know there's student parking at many of the accommodation buildings. How would I go about getting one, if at all? I'm not fussy as I'll just make do in the first year & bring the car in the second year when I'm off student accommodation but a car would be convenient as I live quite far & already know I'll get majorly home sick often :P

Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Unfortunately, students are not permitted to bring cars if they're living on campus unless they are disabled or need to commute to placements on their course (e.g. medicine, nursing). See our webpages on guidelines for parking: http://www.keele.ac.uk/parking/

If you are residing off campus, you are permitted to purchase a parking permit for the student parking zones.

Hope this helps!

Illana, Residence Support
Original post by elvenkings
Hi! I'm coming to Keele in September and I'm really excited. From looking at its history, there is a lot of left-wing activism (like the rise of the Free Republic of Keele) and I was wondering if there's still a strong political feeling? I won't be studying politics but I really do love it and I want to know if there's possibilities of continuing my activism at Keele, I was wondering if it's more or less politically active than other universities and if so, does it lean in a certain way?

I know it was the general election this year, so hardly representative, but politics is all over the place at Keele. It's not something I got involved in, but a few friends were very heavily involved (as Freshers too).

All the political societies (Labour Students especially) make sure they have a huge presence on campus and also with the local MP etc.

As of May there are also now a few students on the Parish Council, and a friend from the block next door to me even stood as the Green Party candidate in the general election.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cinnie
Hey - If you have any questions about life at Keele / stoke on trent / keele facilities / freshers / nights out e.c.t. I'm your girl :smile:

Hi, My target to get into Keele is D* BC. What if I narrowly miss this by say getting D* CC. Would I still be considered for the course which I chose??

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Audiology-Med
Hi I wanted to know what the pass mark is for the Computer Science with a Science foundation year to progress onto the first year of the degree. I can find the % pass marks for the other subjects in the science foundation year but cant find anything on computer science.

Hi there,

Sorry for the delayed response. In regards to your question about the entry requirements for Computer Science, you are able to find the information on the following link.
http://www.keele.ac.uk/studyatkeele/undergraduatestudy/entryrequirements/entryrequirementstable-2015entry/

The table details the entry requirements for both dual and single honours in Computer Science.

I hope this helps.
Davina
(Digital Ambassador - Marketing)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by elvenkings

The political societies are very active at all. Also remember that Keele had one of the largest Conservative student associations in the country. There is a new European group being formed, in the run up to the European referendum. If you are pro-European, you might join this. Naturally a debate society exists - this is something I would definitely recommend (even if Labour students dominant its committee). There is a Feminist Society and an Environmental society also.
Reply 179
I'm deciding between Lindsay Hall and Horwood Hall, more likely Horwood. What kitchen items should I bring? I've got cutlery, plates, bowls, cutting knives and boards, cups, pots and pans. Is there a rice cooker and toaster?

Quick Reply

Latest