The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Do you have any questions about Keele uni? Ask away

Hey - If you have any questions about life at Keele / stoke on trent / keele facilities / freshers / nights out e.c.t. I'm your girl :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cinnie
I'm a third year student. If you have any questions about life at Keele / stoke on trent / keele facilities / freshers / nights out e.c.t. I'm your girl :smile:

Hi! You answered my thread earlier but I thought I'd ask away on here. Are the best nights out on or off campus? Are good places to shop for food and clothes etc nearby? Most accommodation seems to be self-catered but do you know if anyone went for catered accommodation?

Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
I'll be living at home if I go to Keele as it's only about 15 mins drive from my house. Therefore do you think it will be difficult to make friends?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by MayaFly7
Hi! You answered my thread earlier but I thought I'd ask away on here. Are the best nights out on or off campus? Are good places to shop for food and clothes etc nearby? Most accommodation seems to be self-catered but do you know if anyone went for catered accommodation?

The best nights are definitely ON campus (or house parties off campus).. There is not much nightlife in newcastle-U-Lyme at all.

Newcastle (a 15 minute bus ride on the number 25) has a few basic shops and resturants - basically all you'll need unless you want a big shopping spree. For that you'd stay on the number 3 and go into the potteries, which is a big shopping center with everything you'll need.

Sorry I have no idea about catered accommodation.

:smile: :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Sumi Prakash
I'll be living at home if I go to Keele as it's only about 15 mins drive from my house. Therefore do you think it will be difficult to make friends?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all. Lots of people I know live at home and they've made lots of friends on their course or by going to society socials (and freshers week). You just need to put the effort in. Ask people on your course during freshers if they are going out, and ask if you can crash at their place, and go to the societies fare and sign up for a few. You'll be fine :smile:
Reply 5
How many people end up sharing rooms each year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I just wondered, is it hard to get a job on campus? I'm starting a foundation course in September and wondered when jobs are available to apply? Thanks x
Original post by Cinnie
I'm a third year student. If you have any questions about life at Keele / stoke on trent / keele facilities / freshers / nights out e.c.t. I'm your girl :smile:

Is Freshers week just alcohol-fuelled partying or is there actually interesting stuff going on as well? Bit worried...

Very few, and those who do have to share are moved as a priority into their own rooms as soon as possible.

Original post by EmmaStudent95
x

Not that difficult, there's the SU and University who employ students alongside companies on-campus like Costa, Select & Save etc.

The SU operates a rolling employment policy so put an application in and whenever they have vacancies they'll contact applicants who they like.
Reply 9
Original post by cah846
Is Freshers week just alcohol-fuelled partying or is there actually interesting stuff going on as well? Bit worried...

Freshers week is mostly partying by it's very nature i'm afraid, but during the day you'll be hanging out with your new friends and shopping for fancy dress costumes and other stuff. During the day there are freshers fairs where you can get free stuff and sign up for societies, but that's about it. If you don't like that sort of thing then you do things during the year by signing up for societies or a sport.
Hi,
I have a mac and I think I read somewhere that Keele only has dial up in campus accommodation so I was wondering if that's true. I can't use my laptop because there's no ethernet cable slot on it if not :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by tom_oggy
Hi,
I have a mac and I think I read somewhere that Keele only has dial up in campus accommodation so I was wondering if that's true. I can't use my laptop because there's no ethernet cable slot on it if not :frown:

I found this which says that it is wireless for all around campus including halls
http://www.keele.ac.uk/wireless/

I remember reading that it's a 2GB data limit for a day, however it doesn't stop just slowdown when you reach this limit. (can't remember where thou)
Reply 12
Hi,

Nope! We have wifi all over campus including in halls! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey! :smile: I'm gonna be studying Media, Culture and Communications. I just wanted to know how good the facilities and faculty are with regards to the course?
Original post by Cinnie
The best nights are definitely ON campus (or house parties off campus).. There is not much nightlife in newcastle-U-Lyme at all.

Newcastle (a 15 minute bus ride on the number 25) has a few basic shops and resturants - basically all you'll need unless you want a big shopping spree. For that you'd stay on the number 25 and go into the potteries, which is a big shopping center with everything you'll need.

Sorry I have no idea about catered accommodation.

:smile: :wink:

Do most second and third year students live off campus? Is it relatively easy to find good accommodation and do those who live off campus still go to the SU for nights out? Thanks x
Reply 15
Original post by MayaFly7
Do most second and third year students live off campus? Is it relatively easy to find good accommodation and do those who live off campus still go to the SU for nights out? Thanks x

Pretty much all second and third year students live off-campus unless they have a disability. There is always available accommodation so you can be really picky in terms of location, house style, and housemates - make sure to research well and go for a viewing. Don't be intimidated by landlords who say that you need to make a deposit right now because someone else is due to view that day - stay away from them. Stay away from houses that run on a meter too - I learned that one the hard way. When your housemates start arguing about the fact that they go home every other week and therefore shouldn't have to pay for as much electricity you end up either paying for it all yourself or just not having electricity because you're too pissed off to pay for it all the time.

Try and get a house on the Keele-side of Newcastle town center - the other side is a bit rough and depressing.

Yep taxi's are so cheap and we have the safety bus so it's crazily easy to go for nights out if you live off-campus. Don't worry about that at all.
Hello,

It's really nice of you to volunteer your time to answer our questions. I'm definitely considering Keele as a university option. it looks amazing :biggrin: I'm mostly considering medicine and hopefully intercalculating in history of medicine or MEDICINE ETHICS! Wooop woop.

1. How is the library? Is it easy to find? Is it easy to find books and other resources? Is there a shortage of key texts from your subjects?

2. Are there specification type things for medicine so you can use them for revision or keeping track of progress?

3. How is the nightlife in terms of are there quite a lot of 'house parties' type things? I personally prefer doing house type parties as you can get to know people rather than clubbing? Or is it clubbing and then other society type things where you can get to know people for example coffee mornings?

Many thanks,

Mel :biggrin:
Hi, I have another question. On results day (tomorrow :frown:) how quick are they to update UCAS? Also, do they email you straight away at 8am?? I am stressing!!!
Original post by Mel1312
x

The library is awesome, it's one of the largest buildings on-campus and is centrally placed - you walk past the library everytime you pass the Students' Union for example so it's easy to find. There's plenty of books and resources (such as journals) available and wherever a shortage is identified you can flag this to library staff who will then use a budget to acquire more copies of specific texts.

There are tools based in eVision and Blackboard (the e-learning portal at Keele) which you can use to track revision provided your school utilises them, which most now do.

Some blocks in the halls of residences are known for their parties although the primary night out for the majority of students will be the union or Newcastle-under-Lyme (the union is best - by far). There are societies which offer something different, like the Come Dine With Me society where you make each other food etc. There's also the Tea Appreciation Society so there's plenty of variety!

x

My UCAS updated first thing in the morning so I knew before getting my results that I had got in, however, this isn't the case for everyone. If you don't make your offer exactly, then the admissions tutor will look at your application again, and that obviously takes time.
Original post by HarryMWilliams
The library is awesome, it's one of the largest buildings on-campus and is centrally placed - you walk past the library everytime you pass the Students' Union for example so it's easy to find. There's plenty of books and resources (such as journals) available and wherever a shortage is identified you can flag this to library staff who will then use a budget to acquire more copies of specific texts.

There are tools based in eVision and Blackboard (the e-learning portal at Keele) which you can use to track revision provided your school utilises them, which most now do.

Some blocks in the halls of residences are known for their parties although the primary night out for the majority of students will be the union or Newcastle-under-Lyme (the union is best - by far). There are societies which offer something different, like the Come Dine With Me society where you make each other food etc. There's also the Tea Appreciation Society so there's plenty of variety!

Wow :biggrin: Thank you so much for the really indepth answer. It was incredibly useful.

I actually swooned in happiness over such awesomeness. That is the most heavenly combination. I am a crazy fan of come dine with me and I love a good cup of tea when brewed right.

1. Sorry for all the questions but I wanted to know, in your opinion, what's the biggest disadvantage of studying at Keele?

2. Also, is the library a good place to work in or do you have to generally work in your room for space?

Thank you so much.

Quick Reply

Latest