The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Anyone starting or currently doing the Games Development course at UCLAN?

Hey there, first time posting - going to start at UCLAN in September. Is anyone else starting or is already doing the Games Development course there? - How is it if you're already doing it, I finished a BTEC in Games Design at Newcastle college which was a pretty big letdown in terms of how challenging it was / what we actually learned, so I'm pretty apprehensive about how the course will be since I never had the opportunity to go to any of the open days because of the distance / price to get there. The http://gamesnorthwest.net/games.html seems a bit out-dated so I'm not sure how much has changed since then and if they still use their TL-engine and how good it is, when there's so many free alternatives like Unity and UDK. Sorry for the wall of text haha, really looking forward to going, just a bit worried because of how my college course was. :P Edit: Made another thread pretty much the same while this one was still being approved,.. since it took like 4 days >.>
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi im doing the games development course at UClan too :smile:
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Awesome :biggrin:

Just starting next month or already on it?
Reply 3
im starting next month :tongue:
Sweet :biggrin:

Guess I'll see you there then ^^ anyone else you know joining with you or going in alone? :P
Reply 5
im going in alone dont know who im even sharing a room with haha, none of my friends are even going to university they are all still in college :biggrin: if you fancy adding me on facebook, my name is Charmaine Moss (its the picture of me on the smiler at alton towers)
Heh, good luck with whoever you're moving in with :P

I'm going in alone too, everyone else either stayed in Newcastle / stayed to do foundation degrees at college or doing nothing. >.> - Added btw, I think it was the right one :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
yeah it is i accepted :smile:
Yeah, me too!

I haven't much about this 'TL-Engine', or what it's about. I CAN tell you that during the first few weeks of the course, we all do an icebreaker challenge in where we will design and create a minigame using a game making software (which I suspect is the TL-Engine, as all the actual games design work will be done using C++, so I assume Visual Studio will be the main forte as well as bigger engines such as OpenGL/Unity etc.)

I'm starting next month, the information from above was when I received a call from a Second year student from the University doing that course.

Hope to see you guys there :P
Hey there :biggrin: (again :P) Hope to see you soon too :V when UCAS decides to actually update... Was hoping that it might today but still no changes to it -.-
Finally my UCAS got updated today, confirmed place :biggrin:

How's it going for you two? any luck with it yet?
Hey, I am not going Games Development but I am doing Software Engineering which is really similar!

Where is everyone staying?
A flat in Accrington myself :P

I think for the first year every IT course is doing the same lectures together :redface:
Hey, guys/girls.

I only just realised I've been hogging both of Converex's threads, so I apologise for that xD

I got my place, I've confirmed and I've just uploaded my hideous driving license photo for my student card.

Accrington seems a fair journey everday, how will you manage that? I, myself am staying in private student accommodation a less-than-five minute walk away from the Campus. :biggrin:
Sorry about the two threads ha :P for some reason this one took like 4 days to show up so I made the second one thinking it'd just not worked >.>

And aye, its a bit far but I don't live too far from the train station so I guess I'll just take the train each day xD - No idea how many days a week we're in for though.
We have our timetables now on blackboard, I cant wait to start!
Haven't been emailed the login stuff yet since its a weekend D: (Hopefully tomorrow)

How many days is it we'd be in for?
Original post by Converex
Haven't been emailed the login stuff yet since its a weekend D: (Hopefully tomorrow)

How many days is it we'd be in for?

It changes every week. Some week we are in for 3 days, some weeks we are in for four days so we have to check weekly!
Did you do Alevels or BTEC?
Did a BTEC, D*D*D* :biggrin:
I need to check my Blackboard again :biggrin:

Not long now, either! In case anyone was wondering, I did a double BTEC and an A-Level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending