The Student Room Group

What Are Sixth-Form Necessities?

So I'm currently shopping for clothes and school supplies for when I start 6th form in September but I realise that I don't really know what I need.

I'm most likely going to be studying Geography, Biology, Maths and Psychology (if that changes what I'll need). CSLA is my current enrichment choice.

Clothes wise I'm just wondering how much people are bothered about their appearance when doing A-levels, because at the moment I wear the same 5 outfits on a rotation but is that socially acceptable to do once I start back at school? Also what items are most practical? eg. should I lots of t-shirts and a coat, or a few jumpers or what? and what clothes/ footwear might I need for CSLA?

My blazer has been a lifesaver for the last 5 years with its 6 easily accessible pockets, each serving a different purpose (phone and iPod, period stuff, make-up, lunch-card etc.). So for sixth-form what is the best way to store all this stuff? I was thinking of getting a make-up bag to put inside my school bag to just fill with everything I used to keep in my blazer, but is there a better way of organising it all?

I'm assuming I'll need similar things in my pencil case to previous years (possibly excluding colouring pencils, though I might get some use out of them in geography) but I don't know if teachers are as lenient about giving out scissors and glue once we are in 6th form, or if we will even need glue and scissors.

If anyone who's in 6th at the moment, preferably someone who took similar subjects to me, could tell me how much stuff they had to carry on a day-to-day basis (notebooks, ring-binders, textbooks etc.) so that I know how big my bag has to be that would be greatly appreciated. Also what are the best ways to organise your notes in class and at home?

If you have any other useful tips or information that I haven't asked about I would love to hear it! e.g. revision guides/websites, how to make/keep friends and how friendship groups change, how to cope with the workload, or anything really.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 1
The best thing I've found as far as organising notes go is to get little folder/wallet-y things like this: http://www.ryman.co.uk/carry-folder-a4 for each subject then have big folders to empty stuff into when you get home/ at the end of the week. I started year 12 carrying everything and it was not fun.

And at my school anyway, 5 outfits on rotation if perfectly fine :biggrin:
Reply 2
Start getting revision guides early especially for geography, as they are really useful when it comes to doing homework and revising. You'll need quite a lot of paper for geography.

My advice would be don't rely on your teacher too much and plan ahead. Also read this:

http://facebook.com/notes/mehran-university-of-engineering-and-technology-jamshoro/revision-tips-cambridge-university-tip-for-students/304825639593582
Thought I'd provide you with a little help from my science help threads (if you're studying AQA). =)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2157602

Link to Bio Unit 1 thread, I have units 1, 2, 4 and 5. =)
Reply 4
Sleep enough, stay organised (I used ring binders for each subject), get a planner if your college don't provide you with one.

Also, CGP sell some 'Head start to...' guides, and for you, Maths and Biology, I think, are available. It'll be really helpful so have a look!
Reply 5
You will definitely need folders lol, I needed one about 2 months into starting college :smile:
Reply 6
I didnt take notes therefore had no folders, twas great.
Never underestimate the amount of paper you will generate doing maths (at least if you do it properly). You need masses of cheap paper, a hole punch and cheap binders for maths exercises alone.
Original post by Mav455
You will definitely need folders lol, I needed one about 2 months into starting college :smile:

You obviously planned ahead.
Reply 9
See if you can get a bag with pockets. For me, because I'd be so disorganised, I used a notebook for each teacher. (2 teachers per subject and they would normally teach the different topics in a unit at my 6th) and one lever arch for all my subjects as my teachers gave us quite a lot of resources, so I ended up needing two over the whole year. I had separate bag for my folder as it got too big to carry in my arms, and I didn't have a rucsac, so it would have messed up my shoulders more!

Clothes wise there are always a few girls who'll put a lot of effort in for the first few weeks. So yeah t-shirts/jeans are good, with changes depending on the time of year of course!!

For textbooks check to see if you have to bring them to leadings or if they're for reference when at home, because biology wanted to bring our text books to lessons, but chemistry and French didn't, it depends on the department, they'll tell you when they give them out at the start of the year!

My tip is if you have a teacher that will just talk for the whole lesson, make notes!! Lots of us didn't in bio, then we're have to make notes from the textbook, which isn't always as easy to understand!
Original post by Old_Simon
Never underestimate the amount of paper you will generate doing maths (at least if you do it properly). You need masses of cheap paper, a hole punch and cheap binders for maths exercises alone.

Maths generates the most notes! Just for C1 alone i had one of the big folders filled up! Not so much for C2 and S1 but still a substantial amount more than my chemistry physics or computing! To stay organised all revise ahead of the teacher in class, so when you go into class you already briefly understand the stuff! So get your revision guides as soon as!

I've put up a blog post on what you'll need for starting Sixth Form, with a few product recommendations as well as just general items to get hold of. It might be useful - http://imnotcatherine.blogspot.co.uk...oull-need.html

I'm also looking to do a few posts on things like work layouts, organising yourself, those sort of study advice things if that sounds interesting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending