The Student Room Group

Is Law for me?

I bet you get loads of posts like this but I'm freaking out about my university choices which I have to make horribly soon, and I'm still not decided on what or where. I don't particularly mind about the where, as long as it's a good course, but I'm not sure whether to do a Law degree or do something like History and Politics.

I'm about to go into my last year doing A Level History, Government and Politics, Spanish and English Lit, and I particularly like History and Politics, and am interested in current affairs and the like. People have told me that they'd think I'd like law because of how it's similar to history, sort of applying history to a context. I don't think I'd be interested in becoming a solicitor or a barrister, not a corporate or civil one anyway, but I'm interested in finding out what a law degree is like academically. What do you actually study in lectures? What do you write essays on? I know these must seem like really stupid questions but I've just been looking through prospectuses and they're surprisingly vague on that point. I did my work experience with a law service for vulnerable people, where they represented asylum seekers and worked on Social Security law e.g.: benefits and child support cases. If I was to go into law as a career I would be doing something to do with Human Rights law, I think.

Also, in my mind I've been thinking if I did something like a history degree and then a post-grad degree in Law, if I wanted to. However, I read somewhere here that these conversion courses are expensive. Is this true? Do many people do these conversion courses?

I hope I haven't just asked questions that you've all answered a thousand times, but it's just a really important decision that I actually have no idea how to make. And sorry if there's any massive typos or anything, it's after 3am but I can't sleep 'cos I'm worrying about universities. I do need a life...

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
“The law” governs every aspect of our lives. The things you do which may be criminal, your rights as an individual, formal obligations to others, the way in which you own land, how you earn money/pay tax, the way companies operate, the way in which you resolve disputes, how you dispose of property on death etc etc. One could go on for hours.
When you study law as a subject, you take those individual topics and analyse them in detail. Taking my examples above, those would constitute modules in criminal, human rights, contract, property, employment, tax, corporate, litigation, wills/probate respectively. Some of those you’re more likely to cover on the legal practice course than on a law degree.
In each of those modules, you examine different things. In criminal for example, you look at the different criminal offences and investigate the different aspects of those offences. In contract, you look at the way contracts are formed, enforced, broken and terminated. When studying any legal topic, you’ll be examining the relevant legislation and case-law and understanding why the law is what it is today, and how it should be reformed.

As you note, it isn’t necessary to do a law degree to be a lawyer. You could do a degree in history and then, before studying your Legal Practice Course with all the law grads, do a one year course known as the CPE. That route is becoming increasingly popular and many of the big London firms take a 50/50 split of law/non-law grads. The course can be expensive (others can give you a realistic estimate) and will be in addition to the 1 year you spend on the LPC. If you get a job with a big City firm (which doesn’t sound like it would be your thing) then you may get your fees and a living allowance paid for.
Hope that helps.

Chalks
When I was your age, I also was very interested in politics and history, and was told to go for law by my relatives. I am American so we don't do law at the undergraduate level. Thank God for that! I know now that law is quite different from history and politics, although there is occasionally some overlap.

If I were you, I would find out more about what law students actually do in their degree, and see if you really want to do that. You may well enjoy history, politics, or international relations more than law. For your interests, I think you would have more options if you did a non-law degree first. If you really want to be a lawyer, you can go back and do a GDL. Or, you can go into the FCO and work for the government, or get an MSc and/or PhD and do higher up work in human rights and international politics.
With regards to what you normally write essays on it would normally be the policy surrounding the law. There are two types of questions which can be asked in law. Problem question/hypothetical situation: "Dave does X, Jim does Y, Katy dies" ... a very simple exaple, where you decide who is guilty/liable for what, and why, and discuss any controversy as you go. And an essay question which can read like "The Criminal law is in crisis. Discuss" these questions are much more open to your own interpretation of what needs to be analysed, what the answer is. They are some people's cup of tea and some prefer problems.

I tend toward problems but I will answer essays if one I feel I can answer well is on the paper.

Good luck!!
Reply 4
This time last year, I was deciding, like you whether to do either a law, history or politics degree (my A level subjects). I decided that out of my A level subjects I enjoyed doing law the most and that if I did decide to become a lawyer of some sort I didn't have to fork out for the CPE.
i suggest buying an introduction to law book, from ebay or somthing, and reading through that. I was in a similar situation to you, and i found the book helped me make the eventual decision which was that i wanted to study law.
Reply 6
Hurricane_Herd
i suggest buying an introduction to law book, from ebay or somthing, and reading through that. I was in a similar situation to you, and i found the book helped me make the eventual decision which was that i wanted to study law.

Great advice - I like Glanville Williams "Learning the Law", or alternatively, the thing that made me choose law, Reese Witherspoon in "Legally Blonde" !!!! :p: :wink: :cool:
Lol, the first year students here at NUS are all advised to read this massive 600 page book about how to construct legal arguments and that rubbish before they come ... then walk round the school carrying all their textbooks to show how much reading they are doing. Its very worrying how dedicated they are as first years, sad really.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Lol, the first year students here at NUS are all advised to read this massive 600 page book about how to construct legal arguments and that rubbish before they come ... then walk round the school carrying all their textbooks to show how much reading they are doing. Its very worrying how dedicated they are as first years, sad really.

Sad perhaps, but I wish I'd been given some sort of guidance. Sheffield have given none whatsoever. I have Learning Exam Skills, which is okay, but even in my second year I'm thinking of buying some similar books because what I'm doing is pretty much guess work.

Anyway, back to the OP...

The skills you use in Law and History are similar, but the two degrees are fairly different. Read up on Law like the others say, but I think in your situation I'd probably take History whilst doing work experience etc to see if I really wanted to become a solicitor, and then convert afterwards if I were sure. Firms are very keen on History graduates so that shouldn't be detrimental.

On a side note - see if you can keep your Spanish up too. A language is an advantage, and most of the people I know that took it to A level and stopped have really regretted it.
Nottingham gave us a list, I read like 10 pages of one of the books and then realised my 3 weeks was up and returned it to the library.

All they were was like "introduction to the common law system" basically, just explaining precedent and stuff. which they taught us in 1hr in the imaginatively titled "understanding law" in semester 1.
Reply 10
No offence, but we cant tell you if youll enjoy law or not. You have to take the initiative and get some prospectuses for unis you'd like to go to, or look at their websites, and have a look at the courses. You can decide from that if you're interested in anything that's being taught - without a genuine interest in it, i dont think its worth it. Remember that law will be EXTREMELY boring if you dont enjoy it...
Reply 11
I wasn't exactly expecting you to fill out my UCAS form for me, but I'm just hopeless at making decisions so thought I'd ask around as much as possible. I do have prospectuses and all, I'm not that hopeless. My lack of decision-making power is perhaps another sign that law is not for me- I could never decide if X was guilty or Y was innocent! I looked at a few books today and saw a website I will devote proper time to, but your advice has actually helped. At the minute I'm thinking of going down the History & Politics route (perhaps at Trinity, in Dublin, or their European Studies course), but I'm going to do some more reading over the next couple of weeks.

Thank you all!
Reply 12
thursday
I bet you get loads of posts like this but I'm freaking out about my university choices which I have to make horribly soon, and I'm still not decided on what or where. I don't particularly mind about the where, as long as it's a good course, but I'm not sure whether to do a Law degree or do something like History and Politics.

I'm about to go into my last year doing A Level History, Government and Politics, Spanish and English Lit, and I particularly like History and Politics, and am interested in current affairs and the like. People have told me that they'd think I'd like law because of how it's similar to history, sort of applying history to a context. I don't think I'd be interested in becoming a solicitor or a barrister, not a corporate or civil one anyway, but I'm interested in finding out what a law degree is like academically. What do you actually study in lectures? What do you write essays on? I know these must seem like really stupid questions but I've just been looking through prospectuses and they're surprisingly vague on that point. I did my work experience with a law service for vulnerable people, where they represented asylum seekers and worked on Social Security law e.g.: benefits and child support cases. If I was to go into law as a career I would be doing something to do with Human Rights law, I think.

Also, in my mind I've been thinking if I did something like a history degree and then a post-grad degree in Law, if I wanted to. However, I read somewhere here that these conversion courses are expensive. Is this true? Do many people do these conversion courses?

I hope I haven't just asked questions that you've all answered a thousand times, but it's just a really important decision that I actually have no idea how to make. And sorry if there's any massive typos or anything, it's after 3am but I can't sleep 'cos I'm worrying about universities. I do need a life...

Thanks in advance!

Believe it or not I was going to do an English lit degree until I changed my mind and opted for law at the last minute. Why..because I sat down and thought about the things that I liked to do..not in terms of how these related to degree courses but in general.

I liked things such as reading, analysis and construction of arguments to support a view. I also saw law as a way to make a difference and fight for what I believed in. Niave and idealistic? Probably..maybe..time will tell I guess.

What I do know is the following:

That going to university and spending three years on a course is a big commitment, especially now given the situation regarding top up fees etc. As such I would say you need to be sure, and this means doing whats right for you. Nobody else. You.

Don't know what that is..unsure? Thats fine too. The same can be said for thousands of others who actually go and get to uni each year feeling the same as you do now. Thing is, you know about it now, so you have time to take a few steps back and think. Don't rush into things and do things when the time is right. I should say though that its natural to be a bit nervous about things, and this is good to a certain extent as it shows you care. It should not, however, have you up all hours sick with worry..try and relax a bit. Hopefully talking things over with others might also help with this.

I'm fast aware that this is becoming the type of long winded post, kind of like that boring lecturer who would never shut up on a friday afternoon when all you wanted to do was to get to the union, have a pint and welcome in the weekend! For this I apologise and will only say two more things. Firstly, well done for being honest and up front and dealing with the issue now, and second, lots of luck:smile:
Reply 13
ellewoods
Great advice - I like Glanville Williams "Learning the Law", or alternatively, the thing that made me choose law, Reese Witherspoon in "Legally Blonde" !!!! :p: :wink: :cool:

When I read "Learning the Law" before the first year, it put me off!! As for "Legally Blonde"..I thank it for giving my nickname (one of the less abusive ones at any rate (!)) which has stuck to date!:smile:
Reply 14
LucyMP
Sad perhaps, but I wish I'd been given some sort of guidance. Sheffield have given none whatsoever. I have Learning Exam Skills, which is okay, but even in my second year I'm thinking of buying some similar books because what I'm doing is pretty much guess work.

Ello trouble:smile: You just knew i'd read that didn't you!!:smile: On a collective level, we should do something about this. I think its something that isn't done v well in general, or at least wasn't when I was an undergrad.

If you want a chat about this kinda stuff, come and see me in Shef or get in touch:smile: Will do my best to offer what advice I can!
thursday, why don't you see if you can find some work experience? Maybe you know someone who's a solicitor, or maybe your school can help you arrange something... it might be the best way to help you decide what you want to do.

The CPE is a good course, but it is also expensive - the fees for my course were around £3500, but I know that some places charge far more. Once you add living costs onto that, it's certainly a big financial commitment if you don't have sponsorship.
Reply 16
I had a similar decision to make: Politics and French, or Law. It was always my intention to practice law, and would eventually like to work for the UN, practicing international law.

I had to choose between European Social and Political Studies at UCL, International History at LSE, or Law at UCL. Initially I chose the politics course, but have recently transfered to law. I figured that if law is what I'm interested in, then why waste three or four years studying Politics? No doubt, it is still one of my passions, but I intend on studying it at postgrad level. That way, I get to study everything I wanted to, but without having to study for the extra time before practicing.

Don't know if that makes sense to you, but that's what went through my head! Hope its of some help....
chriswhit
When I read "Learning the Law" before the first year, it put me off!! As for "Legally Blonde"..I thank it for giving my nickname (one of the less abusive ones at any rate (!)) which has stuck to date!:smile:

I actually quite enjoyed Learning the Law! :redface:

What nickname would this be then from Legally Blonde?????
Reply 18
ellewoods
I actually quite enjoyed Learning the Law! :redface:

What nickname would this be then from Legally Blonde?????

Hehe:smile:, he did write well, just that particular stuff didn't do it for me I guess. As for the nickname, it was legally blonde, tho now the shorter "blondie" is used by many!
Come into my office and learn exam technique with me undergraduate girls ....

thats what I extracted from your posts above :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending