The Student Room Group

Not doing a dissertation

Hello everyone. My brother is of to the UK to do a Postgrad Diploma this September. He opted to apply for a PGDip instead of a Masters Degree because he thought he couldn't cope with doing the dissertation. He studies International Relations. So, my first question would be if his fears are understandable, and how difficult is a dissertation for a foreigner who's first language is not English? Second question, would he be able to find a job in the area with the PGDip, or would he be in a big disadvantage compared to the people who did the Masters programmes?
In what area of work - International Relations? An MA doesn't actually qualify anyone to work in that area. And a PgDip in any subject won't be worth very much in terms of employment - without a dissertation, it's really not worth doing. If your brother's English is good enough to do taught courses in English, and write essays in English, then he should be able to do the dissertation element.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I agree. Universities have fairly high standards for the level of English they require. If he's good enough to be accepted on the course and do the taught element he should be able to do a dissertation. The dissertation in the largest assignment but the quality required for all written elements is the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest