The Student Room Group

Are universities flexible with GCSEs?

Hi guys, I've just got a quick question that I'm a bit concerned about when I begin applying for university this year. I'm ashamed to say that I only gained 4 actual GCSEs from school, which do include English and maths. The course I've been looking at says the requirements are 5 GCSEs (obviously with A-levels or a BTEC L3). Are universities usually flexible about this? Or are they mainly interested in higher level qualifications such as what you gain in college? I've been a bit worried because if feel that my embarrassing GCSE grades may drastically limit my choice of universities.

Thanks,

Harry :smile:
Original post by Haz Baz
Hi guys, I've just got a quick question that I'm a bit concerned about when I begin applying for university this year. I'm ashamed to say that I only gained 4 actual GCSEs from school, which do include English and maths. The course I've been looking at says the requirements are 5 GCSEs (obviously with A-levels or a BTEC L3). Are universities usually flexible about this? Or are they mainly interested in higher level qualifications such as what you gain in college? I've been a bit worried because if feel that my embarrassing GCSE grades may drastically limit my choice of universities.

Thanks,

Hi Harry,

They're flexible, yes but you would be aiming pretty low in your university list and I would say that you'd struggle with competition. However, if your A-Levels are better or whatever it is you took, they MIGHT take priority. However, I do believe 5 GCSEs are the minimum for many universities.

Look at Anglia Ruskin, I believe they only ask for between 1 and 5 A*-C's at GCSE (course-dependent).

Good luck,

Jay

EDIT: Where are you considering? What did you get AFTER GCSE?
I haven't got any GCSE's, and I got in just fine, it wasn't through laziness, I dropped out of school due to health issues when I was 14, but my University weren't informed of that. I have two equivalents for English and Maths that my University accepted! I study History/Sociology at Uni, so I didn't need any science GCSE's, I did do an access course however, but those are essentially the same as A levels, if you are concerned, try apply somewhere for a GCSE course that will let you do one GCSE (perhaps open uni) as you know what to expect now, the pressure shouldn't be too much, I do think that ultimately though, higher education qualifications take priority!
Original post by Stephanie_12
I haven't got any GCSE's, and I got in just fine, it wasn't through laziness, I dropped out of school due to health issues when I was 14, but my University weren't informed of that. I have two equivalents for English and Maths that my University accepted! I study History/Sociology at Uni, so I didn't need any science GCSE's, I did do an access course however, but those are essentially the same as A levels, if you are concerned, try apply somewhere for a GCSE course that will let you do one GCSE (perhaps open uni) as you know what to expect now, the pressure shouldn't be too much, I do think that ultimately though, higher education qualifications take priority!

I agree with this person. English and Maths are basically the mains and as long as you have them you should be okay.
Reply 4
Thanks for all the quick replies! I'm looking at Media Production at Bournemouth, in which the requirements are DDM for a L3 BTEC. I'm currently studying a BTEC L3 course in Media Production, in which I'm expecting around at least DDD (AAA in A-level). The tables have turned quite drastically since school haha.

Harry
Original post by Haz Baz
Thanks for all the quick replies! I'm looking at Media Production at Bournemouth, in which the requirements are DDM for a L3 BTEC. I'm currently studying a BTEC L3 course in Media Production, in which I'm expecting around at least DDD (AAA in A-level). The tables have turned quite drastically since school haha.

Harry

Invest in a phone call. Ask them (but not in the next fortnight).
Reply 6
Original post by Haz Baz

Harry

In all honesty, I think you should give yourself a lot of credit. There can be myriad reasons why peoples goals, particularly educational, can go array.

The tables have indeed turned for you and as long as you can not just tell, but show universities the desire and passion you have towards your goal, you will be fine. Just keep focused on what you want to do and how you can get there, one step at a time. If they need extra GCSE's - do them, if they need the BTEC - do it. Do whatever it takes and they will see it, regardless of whether you feel you lack in some areas.

:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Haz Baz

Thanks,

Yeah, you don't need good GCSE's to get in to uni. You might do for certain courses. But in general it's not a big deal. At least from my own experience and other friends :smile:
Notwithstanding all the optimism expressed here, you really need to check with Bournemouth. Ring after the A-level results day rush dies down in a couple of weeks and, assuming the answer is favourable, get them to put it in an email so you have something to fall back on if they give you an automatic rejection based on only having 4 GCSE's.
if the course is oversubscribed then you may be weeded out by an automatic sift, so the best bet is to get in touch direct. I agree that this should not be at one of their busiest times. As long as an actual person looks at your application you have a good chance and they can do this if they know about you.

As you have improved since school have you considered picking up another GCSE? I saw a GSCE computing paper that I think any computer literate person could have passed quite easily. Or pick a subject where you narrowly missed at school and do some independent study with internet resources.
Reply 10
Thanks for all the responses, it's really helped a lot. I'll give them a call some time in September, and see what they say.

Thanks again!

Harry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending