The Student Room Group

A-Levels for PPE at Oxford

Scroll to see replies

I DEFINITELY concur.
My assumption was based not on the fact that I think MI is cooler, but on the fact that most people consider MI cooler.
Reply 21
Original post by Oneness_Charmer
1. I know it's an element. But villians are cooler than elements, so I assumed....

2. When I compare it to astronomy, I mean tectonic plate movements, earth structure, etc. which are a pert of astronomy as well as geography (physical). We do have to study how natural process works on planets in Astronomy and we do the same thing in Geography (except that the planet is Earth)

3. That even sadder.

I think you mean geology and not astronomy.
And I took my name from element and not whoever the hell that guy is :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by PythianLegume

Nah, Chemistry is way cooler than Mission Impossible. :cool:

Agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha ha, why route for an American villain when you can do the same for a Bond villain!
I'm, starting to think that TSR is full of intellectuals.
Ha ha, why route for an American villain when you can do the same for a Bond villain!

That joke took me a while to get. So cheesy. :tongue:

Nah, just full of nerds. :colone:
Yes it's cheesy. Posted in the moment!
Anyway, I've finalized my subjects and they are:

Maths, History, Economics, and Physics or Literature (AS only) - will ponder over this for a while. No F.Maths because I'll have to take it up to full A-Level as it's not available at AS level only at CIE.

Thanks a lot everyone for their input.
Reply 27

Who is Bond Villain tho? I get the joke but I don't know who that is lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by PythianLegume
That joke took me a while to get. So cheesy. :tongue:

Nah, just full of nerds. :colone:

How dare you call me a nerd!

....oh wait I'm a nerd :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK, I used a pun with cheesy
Bond Villain = Villains in James Bonds movies like Octopussy or Goldfinger, and
Bond Villain = something that destroys bonds (Electrovalent or Covalent)

It was a stupid joke and I learned my lesson, Can we please let it go now?
Nerds and intellectuals are the same things. Just take a nerd, groom him properly, teach him some social sciences like Economics and he's become an intellectual.
Nerd just means: intelligence in sciences, mathematics and engineering + social awkwardness
Intellectual means: well read on variety of topics esp. Philosophy, Psychology and Economics + socially not awkward
Hi everyone,
I'm a year 11 student and confused what a-levels to take for a competitive application to Oxford University for Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) course. Although Oxford doesn't require any specific subjects at the a-level, I wanna know what option would be most competitive for admissions (assuming I'm equally passionate about all subjects and will score a A*A*A*A).

Option #01
Maths, F.Maths, Economics and Physics (AS only)

Option #02
Maths, Economics, History and Physics (AS only)

Option #03
Literature, Economics, History and Maths (AS only)

OR any other combination that you see fit.

- Thanks

I did PPE, 06-09.

Take the subjects you enjoy the most. If you're a strong enough candidate, you'll get in.

(I did Government & Politics, Philosophy, History, Economics. Though this was years ago)
(edited 9 years ago)
Option 2 definitely sounds best, although I'm not sure how relevant Physics is for a PPE course (that being said most top uni' like you to do a science so I guess it evens out).

What would your other 4 options be other than Oxford? Would you be applying for PPE at all your universities, even though the one's at UCL and LSE etc. are only new this year or would you go for Economics or a joint degree?
Original post by leinad2012
Option 2 definitely sounds best, although I'm not sure how relevant Physics is for a PPE course (that being said most top uni' like you to do a science so I guess it evens out).

What would your other 4 options be other than Oxford? Would you be applying for PPE at all your universities, even though the one's at UCL and LSE etc. are only new this year or would you go for Economics or a joint degree?

PPE at Oxford or joint degree in Econ + Stat/Math at LSE. That's it. I should be able to gain acceptance at one place, right?
Reply 34
OK, I used a pun with cheesy
Bond Villain = Villains in James Bonds movies like Octopussy or Goldfinger, and
Bond Villain = something that destroys bonds (Electrovalent or Covalent)

It was a stupid joke and I learned my lesson, Can we please let it go now?

I didn't know the movies hehe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I didn't know the movies hehe

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get it. You're from France. It's a cheesy joke in England.:smile:
Reply 36
I get it. You're from France. It's a cheesy joke in England.:smile:

I'm from Japan but I live in France :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I'm from Japan but I live in France :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? You're from Japan? Well, that's intriguing! I draw manga and kawai.
Reply 38
Really? You're from Japan? Well, that's intriguing! I draw manga and kawai.

Yeah I am. Been living in France for almost 3 years though (but I do British edu system lol)

Oh really! Kawaii you mean? It's an adjective though so doesn't make much sense hehehehe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Hi mate,

I did History, Maths & Economics. It really doesn't matter too much though. Maths is really handy but you could manage without it if you worked hard and are naturally astute. History helps with the analysis side. Try doing at least one of Maths & History and then 2 others of your choice. Food Tech etc may not be a great idea though hehe!

Quick Reply

Latest