The Student Room Group

International student applying for Maths courses. Help please!!

Hell0 :smile:
I'm a prosective undergraduate student applying for BSc Mathematics to Keele, Swansea, Dundee, Kent, Aberystwyth for 2015 entry.I wanted to know how difficult is it to get offers from these universities? Meeting them is a different thing, I want to get some offers first. I'm really afraid of 5 rejections from all of the above :frown: How difficult is it? When do I expect to hear from them if I apply by 20-25 September? (my PS is ready).
P.S - I'm a non-EU student if that helps :smile:
bump!! :frown:
Original post by halamadrid777
Hell0 :smile:
I'm a prosective undergraduate student applying for BSc Mathematics to Keele, Swansea, Dundee, Kent, Aberystwyth for 2015 entry.I wanted to know how difficult is it to get offers from these universities? Meeting them is a different thing, I want to get some offers first. I'm really afraid of 5 rejections from all of the above :frown: How difficult is it? When do I expect to hear from them if I apply by 20-25 September? (my PS is ready).
P.S - I'm a non-EU student if that helps :smile:

I doubt you would get 5 rejections! They aren't the most competitive UK universities for maths, as long as you have fairly respectable grades so far and you can show you're interested in maths in your personal statement then you'll be fine with at least one.

I don't know your grades or circumstances however I think it would be VERY unlikely to get 5 rejections from them as long as you do have some grades. :smile:

In terms of when you hear, it could vary a lot. I applied at the beginning of October, 3 got back to me before December including one just a week after I applied, 1 in January and 1 in March, so if you don't hear straight away that's not a bad thing. You haven't been rejected until you have actually been rejected. So don't get demoralised if you don't hear within a couple of months - a lot of universities don't start considering until applications close in January for "fairness". So you may well not hear a thing until after then.

I must add here that I don't know how it would change for a non-EU international student. I am a UK student so it may be different regarding the number of offers handed out to non-EU. But I would still maintain that I think you will get at least 1 offer if you are near their entry requirements in grades
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheIrrational
I doubt you would get 5 rejections! They aren't the most competitive UK universities for maths, as long as you have fairly respectable grades so far and you can show you're interested in maths in your personal statement then you'll be fine with at least one.
I don't know your grades or circumstances however I think it would be VERY unlikely to get 5 rejections from them as long as you do have some grades. :smile:

In terms of when you hear, it could vary a lot. I applied at the beginning of October, 3 got back to me before December including one just a week after I applied, 1 in January and 1 in March, so if you don't hear straight away that's not a bad thing. You haven't been rejected until you have actually been rejected. So don't get demoralised if you don't hear within a couple of months - a lot of universities don't start considering until applications close in January for "fairness". So you may well not hear a thing until after then.

I must add here that I don't know how it would change for a non-EU international student. I am a UK student so it may be different regarding the number of offers handed out to non-EU. But I would still maintain that I think you will get at least 1 offer if you are near their entry requirements in grades

Thank you for your honest response :smile:
Grades are definitely not an issue. My grades are top-notch. The thing is - I was supposed to give my finals this year i.e - in march '14 but due to some medical issues I couldn't appear for any exams and I'll give exams in 2015. I'll provide them with a doctor's note, but still I think I'll be at a disadvantage :frown: Other than that, my grades are not an issue.
I'd like to know how important are predicted grades? :smile:
Thank you again.
Reply 4
Grades are definitely not an issue. My grades are top-notch. The thing is - I was supposed to give my finals this year i.e - in march '14 but due to some medical issues I couldn't appear for any exams and I'll give exams in 2015. I'll provide them with a doctor's note, but still I think I'll be at a disadvantage :frown: Other than that, my grades are not an issue.
Thank you again.

It'll depend on which qualifications you are giving exams for in 2015, and whether there are other exam results you could provide to show evidence of your ability. If your grades are really top-notch, then I would consider other universities which offer more demanding courses. There's no point in aiming low and then not being pushed to your true potential at university.
Original post by shamika
It'll depend on which qualifications you are giving exams for in 2015, and whether there are other exam results you could provide to show evidence of your ability. If your grades are really top-notch, then I would consider other universities which offer more demanding courses. There's no point in aiming low and then not being pushed to your true potential at university.

Thank you for your kind response :smile:
Yeah!! I contacted Uni. of Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, York, Liverpool, Cardiff, Sussex, and King's college London as well. All of them said that if I were to apply I'd definitely not be at any disadvantage because of a drop year due to medical issues. But I don't believe them, for what reason I don't know. May be just got out of depression after taking a million of anti-depressant pills. As I said, grades not an issue, I wish I could trust them. :s-smilie::confused::frown:
Thank you again.

Trust me, if it was for a medical condition and you have evidence (eg your doctors note) it will not put you at any disadvantage.

Also, if your grades are very good/top-notch then since you have 5 options maybe consider looking at some of Bath, Bristol, Durham, UCL, Warwick, Imperial, Oxford or Cambridge on top of the ones your previously mentioned. As you have 5 choices you can apply to some other the ones you previously mentioned and then some 'better' ones :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you for your kind response :smile:
Yeah!! I contacted Uni. of Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, York, Liverpool, Cardiff, Sussex, and King's college London as well. All of them said that if I were to apply I'd definitely not be at any disadvantage because of a drop year due to medical issues. But I don't believe them, for what reason I don't know. May be just got out of depression after taking a million of anti-depressant pills. As I said, grades not an issue, I wish I could trust them. :s-smilie::confused::frown:

Trust me, if it was for a medical condition and you have evidence (eg your doctors note) it will not put you at any disadvantage.

Also, if your grades are very good/top-notch then since you have 5 options maybe consider looking at some of Bath, Bristol, Durham, UCL, Warwick, Imperial, Oxford or Cambridge on top of the ones your previously mentioned. As you have 5 choices you can apply to some other the ones you previously mentioned and then some 'better' ones :smile:

I would listen to this advice. You have to trust that the system will work; you have nothing to lose by applying to at least a few of these top universities, assuming you meet their requirements. Because these universities will be more used to international applicants, they should be able to advise you properly.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you very much. :smile: Yeah, I think I should trust them. Just edited my list- will apply to Manchester(or Bristol), Sheffield, QMUL(or QUB), Liverpool, and Glasgow(OR Cardiff). :smile: Thank you very much again :smile:
Original post by shamika
I would listen to this advice. You have to trust that the system will work; you have nothing to lose by applying to at least a few of these top universities, assuming you meet their requirements. Because these universities will be more used to international applicants, they should be able to advise you properly.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much @shamika :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest