The Student Room Group

University's won't accept me because of conviction

Hello guys, I have quite a big issue to deal with here.

I was convicted of gbh in 2012. I was sentenced to 18 months (9 in custody and came out late last year. I have now finished my sentence about 2 weeks ago.

Since I came out I have been applying to several universities and attending interviews. I managed to gain an unconditional place at the university of Hertfordshire so I accepted that, which automatically revoked all other applications.

Not too long ago, Hertfordshire sent me an email that they need to do checks on me regarding my conviction. After doing all of their checks they basically changed their mind and have now declined my application.

What do I do now? Because I have a conviction does this mean I can't get into a university? I believe I made a big mistake but I also feel I should be given a second chance.

I'm really trying to get into uni for September. If you guys have any advice please feel free to chip in.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What course are you applying for? Some courses such as law, medicine, nursing and Social work are professional courses so adher to their professions entry criteria and a conviction for Gbh would not meet this. The uni has a duty to protect the public. This is not to say that you are a risk but the professional standards set means that they are unwilling to accept you.

Some uni,s will accept you if the conviction is old or spent and they will look at the circumdtances and your age st the time however for health related courses the acid test is whether an employer will employ you when you qualify and the likelihood of an healthcare employer giving you a job with a Gbh conviction is not good.
Reply 2
Original post by Jonnymcg
What course are you applying for? Some courses such as law, medicine, nursing and Social work are professional courses so adher to their professions entry criteria and a conviction for Gbh would not meet this. The uni has a duty to protect the public. This is not to say that you are a risk but the professional standards set means that they are unwilling to accept you.

Some uni,s will accept you if the conviction is old or spent and they will look at the circumdtances and your age st the time however for health related courses the acid test is whether an employer will employ you when you qualify and the likelihood of an healthcare employer giving you a job with a Gbh conviction is not good.

The course is graphic design and I committed that offence when I was 17 (which was when I was a minor).
Reply 3
Try other unis, don't give up!
Reply 4
In that case I am sure you have a good chance at getting in to a uni. Have you spoken to the admissions team/tutor at Herts as they will be able to give you a fuller explanation and let you know what your chances sre st ither uni's?
Reply 5
Original post by Jonnymcg
In that case I am sure you have a good chance at getting in to a uni. Have you spoken to the admissions team/tutor at Herts as they will be able to give you a fuller explanation and let you know what your chances sre st ither uni's?

I haven't contacted the admissions team yet but will do next week. I feel they made the wrong decision. Do you think it would be wise going through a lawyer to get them to reconsider there decision? Regarding applying to other unis I can't for this year. Because herts rejected my place it automatically closed my ucas application. So basically everything was on the university of Hertfordshire
Original post by Wazza069
Hello guys, I have quite a big issue to deal with here.

I was convicted of gbh in 2012. I was sentenced to 18 months (9 in custody and came out late last year. I have now finished my sentence about 2 weeks ago.

Since I came out I have been applying to several universities and attending interviews. I managed to gain an unconditional place at the university of Hertfordshire so I accepted that, which automatically revoked all other applications.

Not too long ago, Hertfordshire sent me an email that they need to do checks on me regarding my conviction. After doing all of their checks they basically changed their mind and have now declined my application.

What do I do now? Because I have a conviction does this mean I can't get into a university? I believe I made a big mistake but I also feel I should be given a second chance.

I'm really trying to get into uni for September. If you guys have any advice please feel free to chip in.

Did you apply through UCAS? If so you have to put whether you have a conviction or not so they should have known beforehand?

Keep trying, there will be universities that will accept you :smile:
What have you done to show you have changed your path in life? Have you been volunteering? Mentoring? That would be the next step if you are unsuccessful this year.
Reply 8
Original post by Wazza069
The course is graphic design and I committed that offence when I was 17 (which was when I was a minor).

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. In my opinion when your time is served you should be given a fresh start and the opportunity to move on with your life. Obviously some doors will be closed to you but for a graphic design course you should be given every chance at making a fresh start. I assume that you applied for the course while you where still on licence? Have you explained to the university that you finished your sentence two weeks ago?

Unfortunalty alot of prisoners face blatant discrimination like this. Please don't give up. Universities often publish policies on how they deal with ex offenders on their website.

Because of the nature of your offence many universities will probably want to wait until your conviction has been spent but there may still be some univeristies who will hopefully be more reasonable in their approach.

Keep your chin up. Get a list of clearing numbers together and keep calling and calling and calling. You are an innocent man now. You are no longer a criminal so keep your head up high. Get in contact with ex- offender charities and see if you can get someone to speak on your behalf.

This is an all to common situation. You are expected to be rehabilitated but still have not been given the chance to be.

Good luck and please let us know how you have got on.
Original post by Meat is Murder
What have you done to show you have changed your path in life? Have you been volunteering? Mentoring? That would be the next step if you are unsuccessful this year.

TBF, if you nothing changes with the uni and they still reject you, this might not actually be a bad idea for the next time you apply.
Reply 10
Try to speak to Herts first and find out their rationale. This will then give you a better understanding as to whether other universitys will think the same. Dont worry about Herts being your only offer. There is still clearing and as the government cap has been lifted many uni's will have plsces available. Dont give up hope.
They were probably afraid that you would smack the cr*p out of one of there lecturers if they gave you a poor grade, lol. :smile:

Honestly though you getting out like two weeks beforehand isn't going to look good, they have to look after the welfare of there other students and staff after all and their reputation. You could try clearing but sane might happen again, its their perogative, but you don't know unless you try.

If no joy you could leave it a bit if time say apply the following year or so. A bit of a time gap may help so its not like you just came out yesterday which is bound to worry some admissions tutors. Other than that perhaps see if you can get on an further/adult education course for a year. They will need to know of conviction also but may be less stringent particularly if you try to speak to the subject tutor directly. If a uni sees another inistitution has accepted you since the conviction and you got on ok they nay be more inclined to. Also, could speak to uni's admissions tutors applied through clearing directly to try and ease the way otherwise all they see is the paper and it may get turned down as a matter of process. End of the day though why no one is really entitled to a second chance its whether people choose to do it so important to avoid messing up in the first place is key.
Gbh at 17 dang

Well clearing is open next week
Reply 13
I have hsd a look at Herts Web dite and application proces and have aldomlooked at a number of other Universitys policied and they all say they will not automstically rrfuse you. Thry ssy thst thry will look at unspent convictions and then mske a decision. To me thst means thst the decision is dubjective and depends on who mskes the decision. Therefore you msy gind thst another university will accept you. Do try clearing, be upfront from the begining and hopfully you will get a readonable person. GOOD LUCK.

also all the policies I looked st ssy tgst you do not need to declare spent convictions so when yourrd is dpent you will not hsve any hassle getting in
Reply 14
Original post by Stewie2011
They were probably afraid that you would smack the cr*p out of one of there lecturers if they gave you a poor grade, lol. :smile:

Honestly though you getting out like two weeks beforehand isn't going to look good, they have to look after the welfare of there other students and staff after all and their reputation. You could try clearing but sane might happen again, its their perogative, but you don't know unless you try.

If no joy you could leave it a bit if time say apply the following year or so. A bit of a time gap may help so its not like you just came out yesterday which is bound to worry some admissions tutors. Other than that perhaps see if you can get on an further/adult education course for a year. They will need to know of conviction also but may be less stringent particularly if you try to speak to the subject tutor directly. If a uni sees another inistitution has accepted you since the conviction and you got on ok they nay be more inclined to. Also, could speak to uni's admissions tutors applied through clearing directly to try and ease the way otherwise all they see is the paper and it may get turned down as a matter of process. End of the day though why no one is really entitled to a second chance its whether people choose to do it so important to avoid messing up in the first place is key.

He didnt get out two weeks ago. He got out 9/10 months ago. He has spent that time on the outside abiding by all conditions given to him and has demonstrated the ability to behave himself.
Original post by alapa
He didnt get out two weeks ago. He got out 9/10 months ago. He has spent that time on the outside abiding by all conditions given to him and has demonstrated the ability to behave himself.

Arguing this would be just spitting straws. The crux of it is he hasn't been out long enough for them to not be worried about it or turn a blind eye to how bad it looks on an application to be accepted. Also, part of his sentence is probation so its hardly a glory lap whichever way you look at it. Fact remains that the above advice is I think the most reasoned way of dealing with the problem in order to possibly make progress.
Did you declare your conviction on your original UCAS application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Following on from Origami Bullets was this a conviction for GBH or GBH with intent. 18 months seems a hard sentence for a juvenile first offender for simple GBH after a guilty plea.

Was information sought from probation (I think either you or your parents would have to give consent for this) or did the university enquiries simply amount to get a criminal records check and whatever googling of the offence that enabled them to do.

Were you planning to live at home or in halls? Universities are often much more worried about their responsibilities as landlords than as educators in these circumstances, The risk of you getting in a fight after a hall party is much greater than that of you thumping a fellow student because he used your pencil in a life drawing class.

If the conviction was disclosed and the university enquiries amounted to no more than getting confirmation of that; then yes (if your parents' pocket is deep enough) I would instruct a solicitor who handles public law matters. If the university looked into all the circumstances and made a considered judgment, then I think you will not get anywhere.
Reply 18
Original post by nulli tertius
Following on from Origami Bullets was this a conviction for GBH or GBH with intent. 18 months seems a hard sentence for a juvenile first offender for simple GBH after a guilty plea.

Was information sought from probation (I think either you or your parents would have to give consent for this) or did the university enquiries simply amount to get a criminal records check and whatever googling of the offence that enabled them to do.

Were you planning to live at home or in halls? Universities are often much more worried about their responsibilities as landlords than as educators in these circumstances, The risk of you getting in a fight after a hall party is much greater than that of you thumping a fellow student because he used your pencil in a life drawing class.

If the conviction was disclosed and the university enquiries amounted to no more than getting confirmation of that; then yes (if your parents' pocket is deep enough) I would instruct a solicitor who handles public law matters. If the university looked into all the circumstances and made a considered judgment, then I think you will not get anywhere.

I was planning on living in halls. Its a shame that they would stereotype ex-offenders like this. I feel that if the admissions team got to meet me, they would realise Im not the person as my offence makes me out to be. Its a real shame that communication was only via letters etc. I feel since I have come out, my whole life has changed around etc. Even before i went in I had goals I was working towards, my offence was just out of character and I was a minor then (17 yrs).

I can guarantee im more focused than the average uni student who is only at university to party and get pissed.
Reply 19
Original post by Origami Bullets
Did you declare your conviction on your original UCAS application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I Did. This matter only came up as soon as I had started the accommodation process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending