The Student Room Group

St Andrews Medicine Applicants 2015 entry A100

Hi is anyone thinking of applying to St Andrews? :smile:

And does anyone know the selection process for 2015?

Is it still 50% academic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by solarplexus

Hey, just giving this a little bump in the hopes someone will se it and reply! :smile:

Have you found Connect yet? It's really useful for finding other people on your course/University! :smile: :smile:

I do hope so. I've looked at the university page this evening, and it says,

"COMPETITIVE ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS ARE UNDER REVIEW FOR 2015 ENTRY
To be called for interview, we require evidence of sustained academic performance over a number of years of study. Therefore we look at all academic qualifications or predictions from GCSEs and Standard Grades through to A Levels, Highers and Advanced Highers (or other equivalent qualifications).
From experience of applications in previous years it would appear that to be competitive, applicants with A Levels require a minimum of 8 A grades at GCSE (to include Mathematics and Sciences) to be taken at one sitting and predictions of A*AA at A level."

Thus since it is 'under review' it could change. I think I'll send admissions an email on the weekend about their process. Since I'll be applying with A*AA achieved, according to their previous admissions technique, i.e. the 50% academic, I hopefully stand a fairly good chance of an interview.

I'll post up a response, if any.
By the look of things, it's pretty much the same as my year of entry was. The minimum requirement is the same, it is possible that the addition of an A* to the competitive requirements is new, but I can't remember!

If it helps, I got in last year with A*A*A*A (bio, chem, psych, eng lit) at A-level and GCSEs 4A* and 6A. However, I am aware that in my year there are people who got in with AAA, and I think that multiple A*s are less the norm than at oxbridge & london.
St Andrews place a lot of emphasis on your personal statement and work experience - they were very interested in talking to me about these at interview - and slightly less on the UKCAT, although I get the impression that a high UKCAT can help mitigate a lack of A*s at A-level.
Do the best personal statement that you can - I spent 2 months drafting and amending and completely re-writing mine.

If you have already achieved your A-levels, they really do like that I think. I applied with 3 A-levels already completed and doing another in a year, and they based my unconditional offer on those already achieved (A*A*A).

They do interview the majority of applicants I think, as I have gathered from talking to people in my year that there were a lot of interview days. I think that they do rely a lot on your interview for decision making. To say academics is about 50% is completely right I think, the process seems to be very balanced.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm thinking about applying to St Andrews with my achieved grades of A*A*AA. However my GCSE's are below the 'competitive requirement', does anyone know if this matters? I've emailed them but obviously they're busy dealing with many students who have just got in so I feel they might take a while to reply.
Original post by Doodle00
I'm thinking about applying to St Andrews with my achieved grades of A*A*AA. However my GCSE's are below the 'competitive requirement', does anyone know if this matters? I've emailed them but obviously they're busy dealing with many students who have just got in so I feel they might take a while to reply.

The competitive requirement for gcse is 8As, what did you get?
your a levels are excellent, so if all other parts of your application are strong you may be ok. I think St Andrews are good about looking at individual applications instead of just chucking out the ones that don't meet a certain requirement in a single area.

I think its worth applying. I once looked at the real numbers for students admitted and there were students who had very low scores in some areas that were admitted. So just because one area is lacking doesn't mean you well definitely be rejected.
say if I had full points for everything except the interview (which I was mediocre on) is they any chance of me getting an offer?

I am a gap year applicant with 3A* A2, 10A* GCSE, 5As As and A in FSMQ. Lets assume my ps is strong.
Reply 8
Original post by theresheglows
The competitive requirement for gcse is 8As, what did you get?
your a levels are excellent, so if all other parts of your application are strong you may be ok. I think St Andrews are good about looking at individual applications instead of just chucking out the ones that don't meet a certain requirement in a single area.

I got 2 A*'s, 4 A's and 4 B's which are admittedly mediocre GCSE's in terms of medical applications. I've yet to sit my UKCAT however last year achieved 702.5 average and hopefully I will be able to improve this year.
say if I had full points for everything except the interview (which I was mediocre on) is they any chance of me getting an offer?

I am a gap year applicant with 3A* A2, 10A* GCSE, 5As As and A in FSMQ. Lets assume my ps is strong.

You look strong academically, I'd say you have a chance especially as you have already achieved your A-levels, I get the impression StA likes that.

They do like to see strong work experience. I am not sure how much emphasis they put on the interview, but I think they interview a lot of applicants which may mean that they consider it quite important, but this year they are changing the interview process and how it is ranked afterwards, so my experience may no longer be so relevant.
I got 2 A*'s, 4 A's and 4 B's which are admittedly mediocre GCSE's in terms of medical applications. I've yet to sit my UKCAT however last year achieved 702.5 average and hopefully I will be able to improve this year.

Although you GCSEs may be below those of the average med applicant, I don't think that they are bad enough for you to be rejected out of hand. It is certainly worth applying, your A-levels make up for them a bit academically. My GCSEs were 4A*, 6A and 1B which also aren't the top end of applicants, but I got in! ... I think because my a-levels helped make up for it (A*A*A*A).

StA are very balanced and fair in how they consider your application, my impression is that they consider each on it's own merits, so if you are strong in other areas that will make up for it.

702 is good for UKCAT, I got in with 670 (I thought I had no chance because I'd just got off a 4 hour train and had 3 hours sleep!), so if you can get even better than that - brilliant!

Definitely go for it, it's a fantastic place to study anything, but the medicine course is brilliant compared to the other syllabuses I looked at - even oxford (this is just my personal opinion as the course suits me and my interests very well).
Original post by theresheglows
You look strong academically, I'd say you have a chance especially as you have already achieved your A-levels, I get the impression StA likes that.

They do like to see strong work experience. I am not sure how much emphasis they put on the interview, but I think they interview a lot of applicants which may mean that they consider it quite important, but this year they are changing the interview process and how it is ranked afterwards, so my experience may no longer be so relevant.

Ok do you know how they are changing the process? Do you think MMis? I hate MMIs?
Ok do you know how they are changing the process? Do you think MMis? I hate MMIs?

I'm not sure, they haven't yet released any info on it - keep an eye on their website though (they have a section about the interview process) as that may change, knowing StA it will be at the last minute!
Probably not MMIs, it's not really their style (although I can't say for certain sure).
My interview was a single long interview with 2 interviewers. The first part was based on an article I was given to read just beforehand, then more general questions, then discussion of my personal statement and work experience. Overall it was a nice interview, much nicer than other unis, and I know lots of others who agree on that, hopefully that won't change!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1788514/pdf/brmedj02211-0050.pdf

An interesting article on the history of medicine at St Andrews. For the more history minded medics and anyone else thats interested.
Reply 14

Wow you should really apply to St Andrews! Also look at Oxford and Leicester with those stats :smile:
Reply 15

Hi, my friends went to an event last year called PotMed at Imperial. It is held this Sunday in London. I think it could help you a lot. Especially with final changes to your personal statement and entry exams like the UKCAT and stuff. Why don't you give PotMed2014 a search in google. It will give you more information. I hope that helps. Good Luck with your application!!
Guys I need help!! I got 630 b1 in my ukcat and was so upset cause all the work I put in didn't pay off. Anyway, is it safe to apply to st Andrews or would it put me at a disadvantage? Do they look at ur PS? I've got above required highers, strong PS and references etc
Hi,

Any Scottish students get a place last year with AAAAB? And if so, what was your conditions and UKCAT score?

Thanks!
Reply 18
Original post by aspiring_dr
Guys I need help!! I got 630 b1 in my ukcat and was so upset cause all the work I put in didn't pay off. Anyway, is it safe to apply to st Andrews or would it put me at a disadvantage? Do they look at ur PS? I've got above required highers, strong PS and references etc

You should be okay. As mentioned, strong academics can compensate for an average UKCAT-good luck!
Original post by aspiring_dr

Unless the average for ukcat comes down quite a bit, I wouldn't apply. I know of several people last year with great int 2s, highers and advanced higher predictions, strong PS and references with ukcat >650 who got rejected pre-interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending