The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2015 Applications FAQ + Chat Thread + Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy_El
Hi! I don't know much about the IB or law, but I'd say it depends on your other 4 choices. If all of your other choices are the same as your grades or lower, then I think having 1 above is a good idea :smile: hope this helps

Hey thanks for replying :smile:

I'm an International applicant so I don't have any idea as to how this system works but that being said, have you heard of anyone who has been made a conditional offer despite missing the criteria by a slight grade ?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 41
Original post by superduperweirdo
Hey thanks for replying :smile:

I'm an International applicant so I don't have any idea as to how this system works but that being said, have you heard of anyone who has been made a conditional offer despite missing the criteria by a slight grade ?

Ah ok! Where do you come from? I have heard of many people getting in even though they have just missed the grade, Universities especially like international students, so I think its worth a try! How many Unis can you apply to in the UK or is it limitless? Its probably best to ask the uni too :smile:
Hey, does anyone know much about medicine interviews at the university of Birmingham? As in the sort of MMI stations they have?
Original post by Lucy_El
I always try to think of a question to ask to make an impression on the admission tutors and to show my interest, but I'm just really bad at thinking of them! I'm glad this has helped you! I only live about an hour away from Birmingham so I know quite a lot about the city, so if you're not local and have any questions just ask! I really hope I get an offer too :smile:

That's really convenient. I live about an hour and a half away but I've only been to Birmingham once and I love the city. Hoping the uni is as awesome. How do you think student life is in Birmingham. I know it's cheaper than London but I don't know how expensive it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by emilyy303
I want to urge anyone who receives an unconditional from Birmingham to PLEASE think through thoroughly whether this university is really right for you. I received my unconditional last year and was struggling with my studies and didn't think i had any hope of getting AAB (which was my offer from everywhere else) so I though hey, Birmingham's a decent uni, I'll go there and I can relax about everything and it'll all be great. I'm 3 weeks into my time here and I absolutely hate it, I'm miserable here for several reasons and I just know that this uni isn't for me, I walk around with a gut instinct that this isn't where I belong or where I can ever feel happy...the more frustrating thing is that I did in fact get AAA in the end, so I could have got in anywhere else. :frown:

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people love it here and Birmingham is a well-respected university. But please, don't fall into the unconditional security trap like I did and put it as your firm unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure Bham would've been your first choice anyway.

Remember, universities are businesses; they're not giving you an unconditional because they're being nice or caring to you, they're doing it because they want to trap you into going there and giving them your money.

I'm seriously considering dropping out of university this year to take a gap year and reapply for a different uni next year, probably Manchester as it's much closer to home for me and I feel I'd be a lot happier there, but I'm not sure whether dropping out is really an option because of money :\ PLEASE don't get yourself into the same situation I did, I ignored everyone who questioned whether Bham was really the best choice because I was too scared to consider the alternative. :frown:

edit: also something I forgot to mention, in my time here the vast majority of people I've met also received unconditional offers. So it feels like...does anyone here really want to be here because they liked the uni? Or just for the same reasons I came here?

I see where you are coming from. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for me? :smile: ), my course was not part of the Unconditional Scheme, so I received a conditional offer and worked hard to meet the grades. None of the people I know received an unconditional offer either...
I'm so sorry to hear that you are not enjoying Birmingham. :s-smilie: I would have never applied to a university if I didn't like it in the first place, so I can kind of understand what you are feeling right now. One of my friends doesn't seem to like this place either. She changed courses but this has not improved anything at all. She is still feeling pretty homesick and has to catch up on all the lectures she missed. Do you like your course enough to stay here for 2/3 more years? I think you need to ask yourself this question.

As most things in life, the University of Birmingham has its good and bad parts. You need to focus on the good ones.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fatsherry
That's really convenient. I live about an hour and a half away but I've only been to Birmingham once and I love the city. Hoping the uni is as awesome. How do you think student life is in Birmingham. I know it's cheaper than London but I don't know how expensive it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really depends on what accommodation you get. I'm in the cheapest one, but it's a lot cheaper per week than the next one. Some of the accommodation is very overpriced, however mine was the cheapest I saw out of all the unis I looked at. The train to the city centre is also very cheap, and costs just £1.50 for a return with a railcard. As for food, I walk to Aldi in Selly Oak, so don't end up paying a lot, but it's a bit of a walk if you're carrying things. There aren't really any large supermarkets that are close to where I am, however tesco is close to the vale, and a taxi apparent costs £1 per person each way if the taxi is full. You can also get shopping delivered there, which is a good idea if you want heavy things. The food on campus is rather expensive for what it is, as is meal plan. It's a lot cheaper to cook for yourself, even if you buy quite expensive food. My friends on meal plan find that even though they pay far more per week than I spend on food, it isn't enough to last them a week due to how expensive the food is. If you have any other questions, feel free to quote this post/PM me :smile:
Original post by lizz-ie
It really depends on what accommodation you get. I'm in the cheapest one, but it's a lot cheaper per week than the next one. Some of the accommodation is very overpriced, however mine was the cheapest I saw out of all the unis I looked at. The train to the city centre is also very cheap, and costs just £1.50 for a return with a railcard. As for food, I walk to Aldi in Selly Oak, so don't end up paying a lot, but it's a bit of a walk if you're carrying things. There aren't really any large supermarkets that are close to where I am, however tesco is close to the vale, and a taxi apparent costs £1 per person each way if the taxi is full. You can also get shopping delivered there, which is a good idea if you want heavy things. The food on campus is rather expensive for what it is, as is meal plan. It's a lot cheaper to cook for yourself, even if you buy quite expensive food. My friends on meal plan find that even though they pay far more per week than I spend on food, it isn't enough to last them a week due to how expensive the food is. If you have any other questions, feel free to quote this post/PM me :smile:

Went to the open day today and I loved the campus. The accommodation is quite nice (saw Shackleton, mason, maple). Mason was my favourite but the cost made my heart drop. It's so expensive. I really want an ensuite as well. Yeah I didn't really like the meal plan system as well, that's why I didn't really like Shackelton that much. But overall I liked the university in general

Posted from TSR Mobile
Went to the open day today and I loved the campus. The accommodation is quite nice (saw Shackleton, mason, maple). Mason was my favourite but the cost made my heart drop. It's so expensive. I really want an ensuite as well. Yeah I didn't really like the meal plan system as well, that's why I didn't really like Shackelton that much. But overall I liked the university in general

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suggest you looking at Oakley Court which is at a Pritchatts. You can get duplex rooms, where you share a bathroom and toilet with one other person. It's cheaper than Mason, and is self-catered!

However, I'm in Ashcroft, which is one of the cheapest and it's still fine. I've had no problems sharing a bathroom either :smile: and all of the blocks will have been refurbished by the time you start!

Good luck applying to Birmingham!
Hi everyone! Whats the actual city like, in terms of student life? I've heard a lot of negative stereotypes, so I would really like to know if is a good city culturally, if there are asthaetically pleasing old buildings, if the prices of student nights/food/drink are student friendly and whether there is part time job availability for students. From what I have seen from the internet, Birmingham really does not look like a bad place, so I would really appreciate the opinion of someone that has actually lived there.
Is anyone else applying for English Lit?
Reply 50
anyone applying for history ?
Anyone applying for psychology?:smile:
I am applying for Political Science and Sociology.. My school hasn't sent my application off even though it is finished. Hopefully they will send it as soon as half term is over.

I am predicted ABB but I think I can achieve AAB - I think the typical offer/requirements are much lower than most undergraduate courses because I have loads of friends applying who need AAA/AAB - anyone else applying who is predicted ABB?
:colondollar:
Original post by swoods2308
Anyone applying for psychology?:smile:

I am. Just sent off my application, Birmingham is my top choice.
Original post by harrietmcg
I am applying for Political Science and Sociology.. My school hasn't sent my application off even though it is finished. Hopefully they will send it as soon as half term is over.

I am predicted ABB but I think I can achieve AAB - I think the typical offer/requirements are much lower than most undergraduate courses because I have loads of friends applying who need AAA/AAB - anyone else applying who is predicted ABB?
:colondollar:

I am
- I think I can achieve AAB too :smile:
Original post by Crystalz
I am. Just sent off my application, Birmingham is my top choice.

Ah cool! Where else have you applied?:smile:
Original post by swoods2308
Ah cool! Where else have you applied?:smile:

Edinburgh, Reading, Manchester and KCL (i live in London therefore my parents forced me to apply to atleast one in london)
what about you?
Original post by Crystalz
Edinburgh, Reading, Manchester and KCL (i live in London therefore my parents forced me to apply to atleast one in london)
what about you?

I'm applying to Manchester, Leeds and Northumbria and Kingston are my backup choices
I'm applying for BA History. hopefully will get an offer with carrying over BBB from last year
Reply 59
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! Sorry I did't reply earlier, I hope you enjoyed the open day! Birmingham is my nearest big city and I think that the city centre is a great place to go for shopping, clubs and bars (especially on Broad Street) and also music venues with the NIA, LG Arena, The Institute and O2 Academy. Therefore I think great for student life! Also its so easy to get to these places from the train station at the uni to the city centre which has 3 stations. I think that its also nice that the uni isn't in the centre and in Edgbaston which is such a lovely part, hope this helps! And I would definitely say that its very cheap for such a main city :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending