The Student Room Group

Suit colour

Hi all,

I was wondering what the general trend is in the UK for blazer and trouser colour matching or contrasting. If someone were to go for a job interview, where they needed to obviously wear a suit, would they need to match the colour of the blazer and the trousers? Or would it be okay to have different coloured trousers? If so, what would the corresponding colour be?

I am looking at purchasing a navy blue or blue coloured blazer. I have the choice of purchasing a matching pair of trousers also, but I don't know whether I should, because I may not use it? Will be using it for job interviews, internships, work experience, etc.
Want to look as formal as possible.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Grey is always safe; trousers and blazer should always be the same pattern.
Original post by Barry2011
Grey is always safe; trousers and blazer should always be the same pattern.

Great, thanks!
Reply 3
Your blazer and trousers need to match, definitely!!
I love navy suits and red ties on guys haha :P
Reply 4
You should go with a black, navy or grey matching suit, you want to look professional. You could mix and match for something less serious. Also do not wear a red tie

Posted from TSR Mobile,
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ElChapo
You should go with a black or grey matching suit, you want to look professional. You could mix and match for something less serious

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or navy blue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your suit jacket and trousers should always match.

The most comfortable choices for colour would be either grey, navy, or black.

Stick with plain suits for interview, but just remember to have a great fit. The most important part of the suit is the fit - you don't want a baggy suit, you want a fitted suit to show off your physique.
Reply 7
There are very strict rules concerning a gentleman's attire.

If you're pairing a pair of odd trousers with an odd jacket, you must NEVER match the colour! This is a very strict rule, there's absolutely no wiggle room here. If you're wearing a navy blazer, the best colour trousers to pair it with are khakis, cream coloured, ash, stone, light grey, mid grey, dark grey, all the way to charcoal grey. But NEVER navy trousers with a navy jacket, UNLESS it's a full suit. I cannot stress how important this rule is. My personal favourite trouser colours for a navy blazer are stone (a very, very pale shade of cream/light brown) or light grey. It's sharp and classic.

So, just remember the rule - where you decide to wear an odd jacket with odd trousers, you always want as much contrast as possible between the jacket and the trouser. For instance, I love pairing a tan jacket with stone trousers, or a navy jacket with grey trousers, or a charcoal jacket with light grey trousers.

When it comes to suits...it's an entirely different matter. Just remember that all the components of a suit (i.e. trouser, jacket and waistcoat) are made from the same length of cloth so they are completely identical...that's the basic definition of a suit. It's a whole world of options and possibilities. Anything from navy suits, light grey suits, charcoal suits, pinstripes, chalk stripes, tan suits, brown suits, different weights and types of cloth (British new wool, cashmere blend, silk blend, cheap synthetic fabrics, synthetic/wool blends, pure linens, linen/polyester blends)...the possibilities are endless. The rules governing the appropriate way to put together a suit outfit are completely different from the rules related to wearing blazers and odd jackets. I could talk about it extensively but it would only serve to bore you. But it seems like we're not talking about suits in this thread, rather blazers and odd trousers, so lets stick with that.

So, let me just sum up: the navy/blue blazer should be a staple item in every man's wardrobe, for it is a timeless classic. It goes perfectly when paired with light grey, mid grey, cream, stone, ash, or charcoal coloured trousers, or even khakis and chinos if you're looking to go down the casual route. You have a lot of options here, and the colour you pick is entirely dependent upon your taste (there's no right or wrong). But avoid navy or black trousers at all costs! Unless you're pairing them with a light coloured jacket (e.g. tan or light grey), in which case you'd have yourself a sharp, classic outfit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Blazer and trousers are not smart enough for job interviews unless its a very small, relaxed, sort of company outside of the main business area.

PS. the above description of blazer with 'stone coloured' trousers or chinos is a definite fashion faux pas as it marks you out instantly as an ex-public schoolboy. Not clever anywhere outside Kensington and Chelsea.
Original post by Stinkum
There are very strict rules concerning a gentleman's attire.

If you're pairing a pair of odd trousers with an odd jacket, you must NEVER match the colour! This is a very strict rule, there's absolutely no wiggle room here. If you're wearing a navy blazer, the best colour trousers to pair it with are khakis, cream coloured, ash, stone, light grey, mid grey, dark grey, all the way to charcoal grey. But NEVER navy trousers with a navy jacket, UNLESS it's a full suit. I cannot stress how important this rule is. My personal favourite trouser colours for a navy blazer are stone (a very, very pale shade of cream/light brown) or light grey. It's sharp and classic.

So, just remember the rule - where you decide to wear an odd jacket with odd trousers, you always want as much contrast as possible between the jacket and the trouser. For instance, I love pairing a tan jacket with stone trousers, or a navy jacket with grey trousers, or a charcoal jacket with light grey trousers.

When it comes to suits...it's an entirely different matter. Just remember that all the components of a suit (i.e. trouser, jacket and waistcoat) are made from the same length of cloth so they are completely identical...that's the basic definition of a suit. It's a whole world of options and possibilities. Anything from navy suits, light grey suits, charcoal suits, pinstripes, chalk stripes, tan suits, brown suits, different weights and types of cloth (British new wool, cashmere blend, silk blend, cheap synthetic fabrics, synthetic/wool blends, pure linens, linen/polyester blends)...the possibilities are endless. The rules governing the appropriate way to put together a suit outfit are completely different from the rules related to wearing blazers and odd jackets. I could talk about it extensively but it would only serve to bore you. But it seems like we're not talking about suits in this thread, rather blazers and odd trousers, so lets stick with that.

So, let me just sum up: the navy/blue blazer should be a staple item in every man's wardrobe, for it is a timeless classic. It goes perfectly when paired with light grey, mid grey, cream, stone, ash, or charcoal coloured trousers, or even khakis and chinos if you're looking to go down the casual route. You have a lot of options here, and the colour you pick is entirely dependent upon your taste (there's no right or wrong). But avoid navy or black trousers at all costs! Unless you're pairing them with a light coloured jacket (e.g. tan or light grey), in which case you'd have yourself a sharp, classic outfit.

Stick to the suit...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
You should go with a black or grey matching suit, you want to look professional. You could mix and match for something less serious

Posted from TSR Mobile

For future reference, don't wear a black suit in an office environment, these should be reserved for weddings, funerals and dinner parties.

For the office environment, a navy, charcoal or pinstripe suit is what you should be looking at.
Thanks for all of the replies, I have managed to make a decision on what to buy.

Many thanks once again!
Navy Blue or Dark Grey, plain.

Quick Reply

Latest