The Student Room Group

Citalopram Side Effects.

Firstly I'm sorry if this has already been asked/answered but i couldn't find anything. My doctor has finally prescribed me some medication (Citalopram) for my depression and anxiety. I was on Mirtazapine a few months ago but it made me too sleepy during school and i piled on weight. Anyway, I'm on the third day of taking it but i feel odd.

Last night i could not sleep at all and i was incredibly paranoid (like my anxiety had gotten worse) i was suspicious of everything and could not relax, in the end i maybe got 2 hours of light sleep.

Today i have been really fidgety (foot and leg bobbing), having spells of yawning around 10 times in 5 minutes, I've been a bit dizzy and generally been feeling spaced out.

Are these side effects normal and do they go away/get better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They all sound like "normal" side effects for citalopram. They shouldn't last too long, generally the side effects dissipate within a couple of weeks so hang in there. If the side effects are so bad that you can't wait 2 weeks, I'd say to go back to your GP and tell him - he can give you something else with a different side effect profile.

Hope you feel better soon and the antidepressant works for you. :smile:
Original post by Serena20
Firstly I'm sorry if this has already been asked/answered but i couldn't find anything. My doctor has finally prescribed me some medication (Citalopram) for my depression and anxiety. I was on Mirtazapine a few months ago but it made me too sleepy during school and i piled on weight. Anyway, I'm on the third day of taking it but i feel odd.

Last night i could not sleep at all and i was incredibly paranoid (like my anxiety had gotten worse) i was suspicious of everything and could not relax, in the end i maybe got 2 hours of light sleep.

Today i have been really fidgety (foot and leg bobbing), having spells of yawning around 10 times in 5 minutes, I've been a bit dizzy and generally been feeling spaced out.

Are these side effects normal and do they go away/get better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like Saber said they sound normal.

When i was on citalopram i had insomnia but made me sleepy and my yawning was terrible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would wait at least two weeks and see if they've faded away. Changing meds for me always sends me a bit weird. But yeah they sound normal!
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies everyone :smile: I'm starting to feel a bit better now but I've noticed that i have some aches around my chest and neck area, not sure if it's it anyway connected but whenever i yawn (which is a lot) or take a deep breath it really aches all around my chest and neck, gonna see how i do for the next week or so and if it gets any worse i will call my doctor and see if everything is okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Completely normal :smile: if side effects persist then I suggest switching to amitriptyline. Taken before bed it'll increase sleeping hours and it had less side effects for me anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest