The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Thoughts and advice about Sheff Hallam please

I'm in such a dilemma! I'm a mature disabled student (35) who has just finished the first year of a BSc Biology at the University of Hull. When I first applied to uni after college, I applied to the closest universities to my home city (Hull). Leeds, Hull, Lincoln, Liverpool and York. All of them except Manchester gave me offers, and I did better than I expected at college gaining AAB. I chose to stay in Hull as my teenage son was still living at home at the time, and I was worried about commuting , if it would become to much for me with my disability (remitting and relapsing MS). Anywho, I hate the uni, its really unorganised, poor quality of teaching for the fees (just 8 hours a week contact time and this consists of a 1/2 hour lecture with tutor reading word for word a power-point that's uploaded to the uni's blackboard Ebridge the previous day, may as well stay home with a coffee and read it myself), No hands on or interactive methods. I have decided to change direction and would really like to do nutrition or a food health related degree.
I have contacted Sheffield Hallam, Huddersfield and Leeds Met who have all offered me a place for September on nutrition courses. DSA are going to pay for my train fare, so commuting wont be a big issue anymore, and my son has also moved out into his own place. I really don't know which to choose for the best, and it needs to right as I wont get another shot at it. Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions or advice about Sheff Hallam, especially what the disability services are like?
Original post by tallica79
I'm in such a dilemma! I'm a mature disabled student (35) who has just finished the first year of a BSc Biology at the University of Hull. When I first applied to uni after college, I applied to the closest universities to my home city (Hull). Leeds, Hull, Lincoln, Liverpool and York. All of them except Manchester gave me offers, and I did better than I expected at college gaining AAB. I chose to stay in Hull as my teenage son was still living at home at the time, and I was worried about commuting , if it would become to much for me with my disability (remitting and relapsing MS). Anywho, I hate the uni, its really unorganised, poor quality of teaching for the fees (just 8 hours a week contact time and this consists of a 1/2 hour lecture with tutor reading word for word a power-point that's uploaded to the uni's blackboard Ebridge the previous day, may as well stay home with a coffee and read it myself), No hands on or interactive methods. I have decided to change direction and would really like to do nutrition or a food health related degree.
I have contacted Sheffield Hallam, Huddersfield and Leeds Met who have all offered me a place for September on nutrition courses. DSA are going to pay for my train fare, so commuting wont be a big issue anymore, and my son has also moved out into his own place. I really don't know which to choose for the best, and it needs to right as I wont get another shot at it. Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions or advice about Sheff Hallam, especially what the disability services are like?

Hey, just giving this a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply! :smile:

)
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Hey I have also been looking at going to sheffield hallam to study food and nutrition next year, I am still in sixth form now and somebody who is doing this course came into tell us about it. She said that it is a really good university to go to and by what she told us it really convinced me that I would really like to go there myself:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lilyjfisher
Hey I have also been looking at going to sheffield hallam to study food and nutrition next year, I am still in sixth form now and somebody who is doing this course came into tell us about it. She said that it is a really good university to go to and by what she told us it really convinced me that I would really like to go there myself:smile:

Hi Lily!

I have decided to go to Huddersfield! I went to a clearing open day and met the tutors and just fell in love with the place, the uni is right in the middle of the town its a lovely place. Cant wait to start!
Hi Lily!

I have decided to go to Huddersfield! I went to a clearing open day and met the tutors and just fell in love with the place, the uni is right in the middle of the town its a lovely place. Cant wait to start!

Thats great! How are you finding the course?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending