The Student Room Group

London- the world's greatest city

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrkl
move to India kid.

What's your point? Go on, educate me with your argument. Seriously, I can't even tell if you're saying move to India to see what poverty really is, or if I should move to India to make money (cos it's an emerging economy/may have many investment opportunities). Literally, I'm confused. Please enlighten me. :confused: Besides, my argument of being concerned only about relative poverty really isn't a weak one. I think you misunderstood: you see, I really am this shallow, if that's what you're on about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by septimius
Why does the bold part matter? I don't get why London's age matters that much.....

That said, people say NYC is the best city in the world, but London has everything that makes it "great" (NYSE/FTSE, Broadway/West End, Times Square/Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus, Statue of Liberty/Tower Bridge and the Houses of Parliament, multiculturalism, world famous sport teams, though Arsenal and Chelsea are, and not Tottenham..lol.)

One of London's biggest draws is its history. Of course, there are other great cities without our lengthy and fascinating history, but it certainly adds to London's charm. Knowing that "this is where King Henry had his wives beheaded", or "this is where the Great Fire started" or "this is where the Romans built their walls" fascinates me.
Samuel Johnson had it right.

"Sir, if you wish to have a just notion of the magnitude of this city, you must not be satisfied with seeing its great streets and squares, but must survey the innumerable little lanes and courts. It is not in the showy evolutions of buildings, but in the multiplicity of human habitations which are crowded together, that the wonderful immensity of London consists."

London is not just the tourist crowds along the West End, nor the millionaire mansions of Kensington. London's wonder is in its hidden places, from the stretch of rusting railyards past Wembley out East along the river to Barking, as the city gives way to its surroundings. It's walking from Greenwich to London Bridge at 4am, following the slow curve around the Isle of Dogs, to get a warm breakfast at Borough Market as the sun rises over the city. It's the pulse and beat of the city that gets into your veins, and the endless teeming life of the place, from tower blocks to tube lines to twenty-four hour stores.

Quick Reply

Latest