The Student Room Group

University of Sussex or an American liberal arts college. HELP PLEASE

Okay, so I just got done with my freshman year at DePauw University which is a liberal arts college in the US. I was doing fine academically but at the end of the year I was kind of discriminated(not explicitly) and the university suspended me for a semester. The punishment I got was very harsh for a freshman an international student. In the light of their harsh decision, I decided to apply to the UK and got in for Computer Science and Artificial intelligence(year one) at Sussex. Now I am debating whether to go back to the US in January or start my studies at Sussex in September. Personally, I was not VERY happy in America since I was in the mid-west and my campus was in a village/small town with a population of less than 10,000. There weren't any clubs or societies I could involve myself in because everything was controlled by the local white students there. Other than that, there was nothing to do in the town itself. That being said, they had a good faculty and the class sizes were small so there was a lot of focus on academics. How does Sussex compete with a school that is ranked 55th amongst all the liberal arts colleges in the country. There's a rankings list which has both liberal arts colleges and national universities in it and DePauw is ranked 98th in that. I know that rankings don't matter a lot but I am someone who is very repute conscious. Not that time matters A LOT to me, but If go back to the US I will be graduating in May 2018 and if I go to Sussex I will graduate a year earlier. Also, I love playing sports especially Squash. Sports keep me fit, relaxed and focused and in the US I didn't get the opportunity to play. As long as my future prospects are concerned, I am planning on doing my masters from either Australia or an Ivy League university or Oxbridge and then work wherever I get a job(preferably Australia). My main concern is that an American degree I have been told has more value than a British degree but shouldn't a degree from Sussex be of more value and better recognized internationally than a degree from DePauw. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Help me out. Thanks.
I think go with moving to Sussex, you will enjoy that more as you can get involved with all the societies and a degree from sussex will still get you where you need to be!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending