The Student Room Group

UKIP MEP's Hitler comments- is he actually correct in what he said

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by namename
Cause not. Getting on a platform in a widely publicized meeting and talking about a wonderful guy Hitler would not get him any publicity, hardly any at all.

I think you've missed the point I was trying to make.
He is correct

Hitler was a great man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CryptoidAlien
If I say John Terry is a great defender does that mean I support adultery?

Adultery and racism.
Original post by ESPORTIVA
He is correct

Hitler was a great man

Posted from TSR Mobile

No he wasn't.
Hitler wanted to be a painter, was a vegetarian and non-smoker and was concerned about over-population.

Maybe the Green Party should talk about him too.
Reply 45
Original post by thesabbath
Hitler wanted to be a painter, was a vegetarian and non-smoker and was concerned about over-population.

Maybe the Green Party should talk about him too.

Over-population wasn't an issue during Hitler's era (the global population was only 2.5 billion in 1950).
Reply 46
Hitler was a good public speaker, he knew how to connect with the people. Hence, the power he posessed was incredible, he misused his power though. Still I cant help but admire him.
So yes he was correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Captain Haddock
It's obviously incredibly distasteful for an elected official to tell candidates to take inspiration from Hitler, even if he is just referring to his oratory skills. How can anyone not see that?

So what you actually want is free speech and truth to be stifled and for us to stop talking about even the most horrid of individuals throughout history in any way. Ridiculous. Many serial killers have been charismatic and have used that charm to lure women into vulnerable positions. Without understanding that about certain people you wouldn't even get the full truth. What this guy said was in my history GCSE. It is the truth.

Hitler was a great orator. That is a fact. There is no comment to his other qualities of lack of there. Only a sensationalist would assume such. I have no problem with him saying this about Hitler. Nowhere did he condone any of his evil actions.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Hitler, according to Etheridge, 'achieved a great deal'.

That's because he did. He went from school dropout to leader of Germany. He was a great orator who helped Germans buy into his vision. This was an Austrian man who came into Germany and got German people to buy into Nazism, essentially. He did achieve a lot. To suggest he did not is just pure ignorance and quite unequivocally idiocy.

Under Hitlers leadership the German economy got much stronger after the depression, unemployment fell, the army got stronger for obvious reasons, infrastructure flourished including the development of many motorways, etc.

Ironically, loads of people who claim Hitler did nothing worthy of note are quite happy to drive Volkswagen's too. Hitler achieved a hell of a lot however he tarnished all of that with evil actions that far outweighed the positives.

If you're suggesting that Hitler achieved nothing because of all the wrongs he did then you're deluded. If Nick Griffin rose to power in the UK (thank God he didn't) and committed atrocities he'd have still achieved academically at Oxbridge. Its not hard to fathom.

Original post by namename
Why didn't your little friend pick up some other great man/woman to show an example of a great public speaker? Charles de Gaulle, Churchill, Nixon, you name it. Why choose Hitler?

He mentioned several as examples. Hitler was one example and a fine one at that. This guy was clearly a great orator and only people with their heads in the sand would suggest otherwise.
Original post by Sanctimonious
So what you actually want is free speech and truth to be stifled

Oh for ****s sake.
Reply 49
Oh for ****s sake.

He's not wrong mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's because he did. He went from school dropout to leader of Germany. He was a great orator who helped Germans buy into his vision. This was an Austrian man who came into Germany and got German people to buy into Nazism, essentially. He did achieve a lot. To suggest he did not is just pure ignorance and quite unequivocally idiocy.

He mentioned several as examples. Hitler was one example and a fine one at that. This guy was clearly a great orator and only people with their heads in the sand would suggest otherwise.

Most people consider him stupid but he was certainly quite a cultured man in many respects (architecture, attending the opera in his youth, painting). One cannot help feel he was completely out of sync with modernity (abstract art, warfare etc) and lost the plot. And although he was a mass murdering lunatic who enslaved the population to his ideals, he became one of the most powerful and well of men in the world and supported a few good causes (animal rights).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by No Man
I think you've missed the point I was trying to make.

Maybe thinking is just an unusual activity for you, that is all.
Reply 52
So what you actually want is free speech and truth to be stifled.
Nar, thats you, that is. Why should it be politically incorrect talk about how retarded UKIPers are?!!?11 Ridonculous!!! 11111 1My grandfather didn't die for that!!111 1!
(edited 9 years ago)
It's a well known fact that Hitler was really good at public speaking, he was able to persuade so many people into believing in him and his foreign policies. Just because we don't necessarily agree with what he said, doesn't mean his ways of speaking were bad.
Original post by CryptoidAlien
That's like saying I support pedophillia because I think Rolf Harris was a great artist.

Typical left wing nonsense, defemation, propaganda, inept enthusiasm to create racism which isn't there and create guilt complexes in society.

I wouldn't say this is necessarily left-wing nonsense. The Daily Mail, for example, did a pretty stupid article about how ''outrageous'' this was.

I agree with most on this. He isn't wrong for saying that Hitler was a good speaker, although it is rather insensitive to use Hitler as an example (even among others).
Original post by arfah
He's not wrong mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes he is. The purpose of free speech isn't to grant you immunity from being called out on the stupid **** you say. Nobody is calling for this man to be thrown in jail for what his words, we're just saying he was an idiot... Or are we not allowed to do that.. ?

And would everybody please stop all this 'Hitler was a great man'/Hitler was a great orator' rubbish? Great men do not murder millions of people and then end their careers by killing themselves in a ****ing basement while their country gets bombed to oblivion.

Was he a great orator? When people say this they seem to be referring purely to the delivery of his speeches and nothing else. Yeah, he shouted a lot and waved his arms around. Awesome. Newsflash: it takes a lot more than that to convince a nation that an entire race of people needs to be eliminated. If you want to talk about Hitler as an orator, you cannot separate the delivery of his speeches from the content. Hitler was convincing because he lied a lot, dehumanised the Jews, and manipulated people's fears and prejudices when his country was at it's most vulnerable. Convincing? Yes. Great? No. Colossal ****ing douchebag? Yes.

And would everybody please stop all this 'Hitler was a great man'/

Nobody said that. More bull**** from captain jump the gun.

Hitler was a great orator

Yes he was.

Great men do not murder millions of people and then end their careers by killing themselves in a ****ing basement while their country gets bombed to oblivion.

Yep agreed. Nobody said he was a great man. Great orator does not equate to great man.

Was he a great orator? When people say this they seem to be referring purely to the delivery of his speeches and nothing else. Yeah, he shouted a lot and waved his arms around. Awesome. Newsflash: it takes a lot more than that to convince a nation that an entire race of people needs to be eliminated. If you want to talk about Hitler as an orator, you cannot separate the delivery of his speeches from the content. Hitler was convincing because he lied a lot, dehumanised the Jews, and manipulated people's fears and prejudices when his country was at it's most vulnerable. Convincing? Yes. Great? No. Colossal ****ing douchebag? Yes.

Yes he was a great orator and most in the field who know what they're on about, unlike you captain eccentric, recognise this. Yes he was an evil man but he was still a great orator. The fact you cant logically separate the two shows you for the obvious overly emotional person you are.
Reply 57
Yes he is. The purpose of free speech isn't to grant you immunity from being called out on the stupid **** you say. Nobody is calling for this man to be thrown in jail for what his words, we're just saying he was an idiot... Or are we not allowed to do that.. ?

And would everybody please stop all this 'Hitler was a great man'/Hitler was a great orator' rubbish? Great men do not murder millions of people and then end their careers by killing themselves in a ****ing basement while their country gets bombed to oblivion.

He's clearly had a massive effect on people. I mean why would you bother typing a whole speech regarding Hitler? Because he had an influence. Hence, his impact in History is applausible. That then makes him worthy of admiration, regardless of his actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arfah
He's clearly had a massive effect on people. I mean why would you bother typing a whole speech regarding Hitler? Because he had an influence. Hence, his impact in History is applausible. That then makes him worthy of admiration, regardless of his actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think it's appropriate to endorse a pedophile's raping skills or a murders knife skills ? Considering this is a speech we have to look at the context it was set in , feeding a child with chocolates is much easier compared to vegetables, but in the end both are considered "feeding". Post first world war Germany was in perils; A speech is not just about waving your hands or shouting , Hitler sold a lie which the people wanted to believe, hence all the followers. Do you believe this is endorsable ?

If he wanted to just endorse good oration there were so many other people which he could have referenced without the terrible connotation, he chose not to . Then we have justification to question it.
Reply 59
Original post by dkdeath
Do you think it's appropriate to endorse a pedophile's raping skills or a murders knife skills ? Considering this is a speech we have to look at the context it was set in , feeding a child with chocolates is much easier compared to vegetables, but in the end both are considered "feeding". Post first world war Germany was in perils; A speech is not just about waving your hands or shouting , Hitler sold a lie which the people wanted to believe, hence all the followers. Do you believe this is endorsable ?

If he wanted to just endorse good oration there were so many other people which he could have referenced without the terrible connotation, he chose not to . Then we have justification to question it.

You can't sell a lie if you're not a good orator, regardless of how wicked the lie is.
It doesn't matter if you're Hitler or the person that came up with the 'American dream' idea or Mao Zedong or Martin Luther King Jr.

The UKIP guy simply said that Hitler was a good orator (nothing else), which he was.
But if he said Martin Luther King Jr (for example) was a good orator he wouldn't have gotten any publicity (and all publicity is good publicity).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending