The Student Room Group
Reply 1
first of all, the composition of mild steel and alloy steel varies from plant to plant, although mild steel always comprises of iron and carbon (with carbon amounting to about 0.05 to 0.26% [source: wikipedia])

don't know about alloy steel....steel itself is an alloy, isnt it? :confused:

think of raw materials this way;

raw materials are used straight from the earth (iron ore for example)

feedstocks are the processed raw materials (iron extracted from iron ore for example)

hope this helps,

Nathan :smile:
Reply 2
thankyou!

NathanM

don't know about alloy steel....steel itself is an alloy, isnt it? :confused:

yeah its wierd
i can get you some information about different steel alloys..... if thats what you mean.... jus gimme ten minutes so that i can go through my chemistry book
*goes to search for the chemistry book in the huge pile of books in the attic*
yep:
mild steel: 99.75% iron, 0.25% carbon....purpose: stronger & harder than pure iron, easily worked, not brittle, used for car bodies, chains & pylons
Medium steel: 0.25 - 0.45% carbon, rest is iron... purpose: tougher than mild steel, used for car springs, axles and bridges
High carbon steel: 0.45 - 1.5%carbon, rest is iron....purpose: chisels, cutting tools, razor blades
stainless steel: 74% iron, 18% chromium, 8% nickel... purpose: harder than pure iron, does not rust, used for cutlery, surgical instruments, kitchen sinks
Tungsten steel: 95% iron, 5% tungsten...purpose: tough & hard, even at high temparatures..used for edges of high speed cutting tools
Manganese steel: 87% iron, 13%manganese.. purpose: tough & springy, usd for drill bits and springs

Latest