The Student Room Group

Please, why aren't we moving the African population out of Africa?

There's so much unused land in Russia and I'm sure a portion of it could be used to house the starving Africans. All the aid we send to them isn't enough because their environment is unsuitable for growing crops due to prolonged droughts.

I would love to see Russia do something 'humane' for once by allowing the immigration of African people into newly created villages in areas suitable for land cultivation. It makes sense doesn't it? Russia get a chance to apologize for the atrocities like the Cold War and communism by saving these people from death.

I'd also love to see the African population immigrate to other EU countries as well as America. Anywhere where they can live a normal life like us. Diversity is to be encouraged especially when it means saving lives and ending poverty.

Once the population is disseminated to Russia and other countries, Africa would be a deserted country as Russia is now.

Africa would have a population of 0 but be home to wild life conservation areas.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by D.Wright
Russia get a chance to apologize for the atrocities like the Cold War...

I'm not sure how the cold war, which never became a "hot war", can sensibly be thought an atrocity. Nor yet how Russia should have to apologise for having been involved in what was very much a folie a deux.
Original post by D.Wright
There's so much unused land in Russia and I'm sure a portion of it could be used to house the starving Africans. All the aid we send to them isn't enough because their environment is unsuitable for growing crops due to prolonged droughts.

I would love to see Russia do something 'humane' for once by allowing the immigration of African people into newly created villages in areas suitable for land cultivation. It makes sense doesn't it? Russia get a chance to apologize for the atrocities like the Cold War and communism by saving these people from death.

I'd also love to see the African population immigrate to other EU countries as well as America. Anywhere where they can live a normal life like us. Diversity is to be encouraged especially when it means saving lives and ending poverty.

Once the population is disseminated to Russia and other countries, Africa would be a deserted country as Russia is now.

Africa would have a population of 0 but be home to wild life conservation areas.

Errrr, why can't we fix up Africa instead of shipping em somewhere cold and prone to racial tension and backlash.

Diversity cool tho
But who would pay for the move??
Africa produces enough food to feed it's population, but a lot of it is exported to the west. So moving them is pointless when they already produce enough food and they have the means to produce it. However the horn of Africa is largely infertile, not to mention corruption preventing crop growth.

So it's our fault for buying their food for so cheap.

Source: BBC world business report
Well, yes there is lots of land in Russia - it's called Siberia and is an arctic tundra. Not really any more ideal for human habitation than the deserts of Africa. But I understand the point you're making. In a perfect world this would happen. Unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world.

It would take colossal amounts of money, time, effort and resources to relocate the billions of African inhabitants. Unprecedented levels of organisation, cooperation and coordination - just one look at the state of global politics will immediately reveal humans are not very good at these things. Who is willing to commit to such a monumental task with no obvious benefits for themselves? Where would the people be relocated to and who decides how much each nation should contribute? A nation's government is there to look after it's own people above all others. That's how our human society has evolved. It is selfish by it's very nature. Our countries and nations are no different to how ancient tribal communities used to operate - who we like to view as so uncivilised - and yet we really are no different; today we just do it on a much larger scale. This is before we even factor in major problems such as the ongoing wars, ethnic/racial/religious tensions, diseases and the fact that many people simply just wouldn't want to leave their homes, communities and all they've ever known behind.

It is hard to answer such a complex question in such a short answer but I believe the above reasoning is why we will never see anything like this happen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Dead to the bed with this one. I'm sure your heart's in the right place but that makes no sense at all.
It's pretty cold in Russia... It's not the best place to start a farm with millions of workers... A lot of it is Tundra or forest which is actually worse to cultivate than many parts of Africa as the growing season is so short. Also habitation of the tundra would ultimately lead to melting of the permafrost and global warming (ultimately causing Africa to become even more arid)

Quick Reply

Latest