The Student Room Group

Russia and China arent involved in the middle east/iraq, so why is the US?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CorruptWorld
Why?

Are you saying they shouldn't after being asked to by the Iraqi government, and the Iraqi people are being slaughtered by ISIS scum bags?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by saayagain
A naval base doesn't mean anything. Does Russia bomb any middle eastern countries? No. Does America? Yes.

Russia are involved in one country and you want to make it sound like it is equal to the extent of which America is involved.

Trying to say Russia are there because of a naval base which pales in comparison to US's presence there.

Russia arms Assad's military with all sorts of advanced technology. The same can be said about Iran.
Original post by CEKTOP
Russia arms Assad's military with all sorts of advanced technology. The same can be said about Iran.

What kind of advanced technology do you mean, if I may ask?
Original post by saayagain
Russia supports countries that want to lessen their ties with America. This is because Russia benefits from America having less influence in the world.

Russia interferes for its own self interest as you say. Putin is supporting Assad as he gets more out of it than if Assad falls, regardless to the war crimes and loss of life.
Reply 24
Original post by YulianaRus
What kind of advanced technology do you mean, if I may ask?

Weapon systems, including the advanced S 300, which was a key factor behind NATO's decision not to impose a no-fly zone.
Reply 25
Russia are, although less directly, and China will be as their reliance on Middle Eastern resources grows. So, yeah.
Reply 26
Original post by CorruptWorld
Why?

Because of the Strategic location of Iraq.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think China is changing and might eventually join the US, or at least take an external role in stopping violence.

It was originally allied with Russia and NK, but they've proved to be poor trading partners and disruptive on an international scale.

Events like the Kunming attack has shocked China and they are starting to take an offensive rather than neutral role to terrorism. So they could potentially get involved in Iraq and the ME (which is pretty much a never-ending conflict).

I think China could officially gain superpower status when it ends the conflict the US is failing to stop. Plus I'm pretty sure they could do it if they try hard enough.

Russia however is sadly just spiralling downwards due to its shoddy organisation, leadership and disruption in international affairs.
Reply 28
Simple...because USA wanted to get involved...Russia cares about e.europe whilst China only cares about south east asia...
Original post by merrill
Because China and Russia arent exactly bastions of freedom, liberty, democracy and defenders of human rights are they?

and im saying that as somebody who does not even like the USA that much. But I'd much rather the USA be involved than the other two.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't drink the bull**** soup. Do you really think America is a defender of "freedom, liberty, democracy and human rights?" They are defenders of their own self interest, their own power, their own dominance and their resources. No other country is better or different, but we need to stop pretending that the US is somehow "better or more noble in their intentions" than other countries.

They will gladly ignore freedom, liberty, democracy and human rights if you are a authoritarian who can give them what they need at that moment read: Saudi Arabia and a stable and flexible supply of oil.

If you prove useless, they throw you out read: Saddam Hussein, Gadhafi.

Its a carrot and stick approach. If you are a dictator you can either submit and become a US tributary state aka "provide us your oil and we won't wipe you out militarily" or you can be a "enemy of america and the free peoples" and suffer the consequences.

I'm not against it, but I want people to see it for what it is. Its real life, not some candy coated bull****. Human rights are not and have never been on the mind of any real leader. They are just a means to an end.

Quick Reply