The Student Room Group

just had a go at a driver for using his phone

Was turning into a junction and this van came and he was on the phone talking, we was at a meeting position and i told him to get off his phone then hr mouthed off saying what am i gonna do, and i said you are the sort if people who are going to cause accidents!! He was getting very rude at this Point so i just closed my window and went. Was i being a bit over the top about this? I see so many of them it really does get on my bloody nerves!!

Scroll to see replies

He doesn't give a ****. It's that simple.

Good on you for giving him mouth.
Good! :smile:
give him the finger when you drive off next time.
Reply 4
You should have said nothing. Don't get involved in confrontations or arguments with uncivilised scum, it's not worth it because you may find yourself forced to stoop to their low level. Scum are best avoided. It's almost impossible that he will modify his behaviour based on whatever you say, it's a futile exercise. Just mind your own business on the roads and let the police deal with this sort of thing, it is their job.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, you weren't being over the top - it drives me mad- no pun intended, and I'm not even a driver. I think it's a fixed penalty notice - 3 points & a £100 fine, but do the police ever enforce it?
A car/ any vehicle is effectively a weapon, how can someone in charge of it possibly give driving their full attention if on a mobile.
That's my rant over. Oh, the other thing that annoys me is when I'm crossing on a zebra crossing and the driver hurriedly waves at me to cross.
People were here before cars.....and mobile phones!
Original post by Butterfly92
Was turning into a junction and this van came and he was on the phone talking, we was at a meeting position and i told him to get off his phone then hr mouthed off saying what am i gonna do, and i said you are the sort if people who are going to cause accidents!! He was getting very rude at this Point so i just closed my window and went. Was i being a bit over the top about this? I see so many of them it really does get on my bloody nerves!!

Mind your own business, missy.

(And no, I don't drive a van)
Good on you for telling him.
Unfortunately though, i dont think he will modify his behaviour because of what you said. If the police dealt with him however, it would most likely be a different story.
Original post by Shelly8hulahoops
No, you weren't being over the top - it drives me mad- no pun intended, and I'm not even a driver. I think it's a fixed penalty notice - 3 points & a £100 fine, but do the police ever enforce it?
A car/ any vehicle is effectively a weapon, how can someone in charge of it possibly give driving their full attention if on a mobile.
That's my rant over. Oh, the other thing that annoys me is when I'm crossing on a zebra crossing and the driver hurriedly waves at me to cross.
People were here before cars.....and mobile phones!

The police do enforce it whenever they see it happening. But i suppose it varies by area as some areas have more police out on the roads trying to catch this sort of thing than others.
I don't really know why you'd feel the need to comment and it's not very clever to confront people in that way because he might have followed you or something. You never know how crazy people are.

Original post by Stinkum
You should have said nothing. Don't get involved in confrontations or arguments with uncivilised scum, it's not worth it because you may find yourself forced to stoop to their low level. Scum are best avoided. It's almost impossible that he will modify his behaviour based on whatever you say, it's a futile exercise. Just mind your own business on the roads and let the police deal with this sort of thing, it is their job.

How was the man uncivilised scum just because he was on the phone?
Drivers should start photographing these people and their car numbers then sending them into the police.
I don't think you needed to get involved really, especially if you shouted at him rudely.
More power to you.
Original post by joker12345
I don't think you needed to get involved really, especially if you shouted at him rudely.

Causing a traffic accident is even ruder.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Causing a traffic accident is even ruder.

We don't know him, whether he routinely uses his phone or whether he picked it up as a one off to take an emergency phone call, and the fact is that comparison is irrelevant as he hadn't caused a traffic accident. I jus don't think it was necessary for OP to get involved - she's not the police and can hardly enforce the law.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's something that hacks me off, but there's no way to stop it it seems. Sit in a high vehicle (in my case, the tractor) and you see people on phones all the time. Texting too. If I confronted or reported them all I'd do nothing else. I've come very close to big accidents 4 or 5 times I can remember because of others on the phone.
Original post by Old_Simon
Drivers should start photographing these people and their car numbers then sending them into the police.

should they use their phone to take the picture with?
Original post by Butterfly92

Would you have said the same thing if you knew he had a gun in his pocket? Sometimes its best not go get involved (unless the police are near and can see him on his phone) as you may only up getting hurt... On the other hand if no one ever said anything the amount of accidents on the road would probably increase...
Original post by louieee

No, they should use their 360 degrees all round camera system and hold up a red card like this guy XD

Original post by louieee

Wish I could rep this haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending