Scroll to see replies

I was told by my College to structure the personal statement as follows:

Introduction
Why you want to study the subject
Academic experience
Work experience/Extracurricular activities
Conclusion
Original post by Alex Doran
Jesus that just sounds like *******s. Congrats on getting offers, do most people write what is evidently made up crap on the spot and barely sounds like English? I thought it was not about making every effort to use big words and show how clever you are because your results should do that anyway.

was intended to sound like that, try and get the admission officer to read it again because they wouldn't have got it first time around but read it again and you'll smile for understanding it . took a risk and it obviously worked 4/4 interviews at some very ps high unis. The rest of the statement is standard and personalised. they can't reject your personal statement for being the same as everyone else'
I would strongly recommend :colone: using

From a young age I have always been interested in

Two years ago 309 people started their personal statements off that way.

If you wish to be radical you could put

From an early age I have always been interested in

used by 292 people

A really daring 196 applicants preferred

For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with

whilst 166 chose

For as long as I can remember I have been interested in
(edited 9 years ago)
When I was writing mine, I encountered this problem too. So I ended up writing and structuring the rest of the statement and then went back to the opening sentence, as it is ultimately the hardest thing to write.

But as people have suggested, it's a nice idea to convey why you want to study medicine within the first paragraph, so your first line will have to lead into that. In my case, I talked about how my family's ill health lead me to think about studying medicine - but there's plenty of ways to do it. :biggrin:
Original post by nulli tertius
I would strongly recommend :colone: using

Two years ago 309 people started their personal statements off that way.

If you wish to be radical you could put

used by 292 people

A really daring 196 applicants preferred

whilst 166 chose

Is this data for the whole group of applicants? What's the sample size? Because those numbers don't seem so high considering a couple hundred thousand 18 year olds apply each year.
Original post by Kool_Panda
Is this data for the whole group of applicants? What's the sample size? Because those numbers don't seem so high considering a couple hundred thousand 18 year olds apply each year.

They are the whole group of applicants but but they are for literally identical openings. There will be many others with the same sentiments but a marginal change in the text. This list was put out by UCAS as part of a "how not to make a personal statement" press release
Unis must be fed up of people's "passion" as well.
Original post by Old_Simon
Unis must be fed up of people's "passion" as well.

whats wrong with word passion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im proper stuggling with writing my PS aswell, like iknow what i want to include but i struggle with wording it well and saying what iv learnt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XXSimmyXX

Posted from TSR Mobile

(a) it is a cliche

(b) it is rarely true

Someone with a passion is someone like the chap who was killed flying to New Zealand to watch his football team in a friendly and who had missed one home game in 40 years.
Original post by XXSimmyXX

Just don't use 'passion' it's the one rule our sixth form tutors drilled into us from our first talk about personal statements.
It was way too over used a few years ago and now the admission tutors who spoke to us detest the word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are the whole group of applicants but but they are for literally identical openings. There will be many others with the same sentiments but a marginal change in the text. This list was put out by UCAS as part of a "how not to make a personal statement" press release

I don't really think there's much wrong with those openings. Though obviously if UCAS says not to use them, then one probably shouldn't...
I like to start by explaining how I came to have an interest for the subject.
Could also begin by saying how the subject shapes the world today.
Kept mine really simple, received two offers so it must work.

Spoiler

(a) it is a cliche

(b) it is rarely true

Someone with a passion is someone like the chap who was killed flying to New Zealand to watch his football team in a friendly and who had missed one home game in 40 years.

if they can't tolerate cliches, having a job that requires reading thousands of 18 year olds university applications must be a living hell for the poor dears.
For those who claim to be passionate, David Mitchell has the answer...

[video="youtube;Bz2-49q6DOI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz2-49q6DOI[/video]
Reply 37
Original post by 06shawm
Kept mine really simple, received two offers so it must work.

Spoiler

Hmmm, yes. That is my cup of tea. It's always good to tone down the complexity and vocabulary by at least a notch from what you instinctively have an urge to use.
Original post by Ronove
Hmmm, yes. That is my cup of tea. It's always good to tone down the complexity and vocabulary by at least a notch from what you instinctively have an urge to use.

Exactly. I understand instinctively your more inclined to follow that trend. I personally felt it would actually distort and confuse my reasoning for pursuing a career in medicine.
Original post by Jatyization
Thank you so much for your help. I must say, thats a fantastic opening statement. Do you mind if i message you a draft so you can critique it? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

if it's not against tsr rules then sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending