The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Got any questions about Cardiff uni? I can try answer them for you.

hey guys!

I am currently going to my second year at cardiff university and i'm studying biomedical science (anatomy). So if any of you have any questions regarding the uni, area, nightlife, student union, freshers, or accommodation etc... i'd be happy to try and help

look forward to hearing from you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What's the nightlife like and how expensive is it? I'm from Swansea so I am used to having quite a nightlife.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Heey,

I have few questions. :smile:) If I'm going to Fresher's fair, do I have to register ?
What are the best clubs for students ?
When do you think student union will be advertising fresher's week ?
Are people here in CArdif friendly? 7

Reply 3
Original post by cnova
What's the nightlife like and how expensive is it? I'm from Swansea so I am used to having quite a nightlife.

Hey, I've been out in Swansea before, and the prices are pretty similar. It all depends on how much you drink really, and which clubs you go to. I find that there is no real specific "good" club, but all of them are decent if you go to the right nights. Take a £20 and you will be good to go (this is includes taxi for me too).
Do you know what you are doing for freshers yet?
Reply 4
Original post by Munchkinme
Heey,

I have few questions. :smile:) If I'm going to Fresher's fair, do I have to register ?
What are the best clubs for students ?
When do you think student union will be advertising fresher's week ?
Are people here in CArdif friendly? 7

Hey, you dont have to register for freshers fair, you just show up, and get a crap load of free stuff hehe. I would recommend you show up around 11-ish, because around lunch time it get sooo packed.
And best clubs... depends on what you like listening to, but the normal clubs are are Glam, revolution, tiger tiger, oceana, walkabout, DC, and live lounge. Night's out here are amazing and prices aren't too bad for drinks/entry (if you get a ticket early).
Oky, from my experience last year they started advertising it a couple of day AFTER results day, so I would expect them to do the same this year, so just look out for it from next week.
Last year I got a wristband, but only ended up going to like 2 events, the rest of my nights where spent in town. It all depends on how you find it I guess, but this year I'm not getting a wristband, and will buy tickets on that day if I like the themed night. The rest I'm thinking on getting a Icebreaker wristband since most of my friends bought some.

Sorry, for the ridiculously long message
I've seen loads of things all over facebook about the Icebreaker thing, and the video on youtube looked amazing, I think I might be going to that since there's not a lot of info about the SU yet...
Anyone else?
Original post by nessi
hey guys!

I am currently going to my second year at cardiff university and i'm studying biomedical science (anatomy). So if any of you have any questions regarding the uni, area, nightlife, student union, freshers, or accommodation etc... i'd be happy to try and help

look forward to hearing from you! :smile:

Hi!
I'm currently looking into Biomedical sciences at Cardiff, can you tell me abit about the teaching and how are you examined?

Also, in regards to applying to Grad Medicine in year two, have people been given that option as it says on the site?

Which campus are you based at?
Reply 7
You do a common first year, where all bioscience first year will be doing the same modules- biochem, ecology, genetics, Anatomy/physiology, Cell dynmics, and skills for science. everything is here http://www.caerdydd.ac.uk/for/resource/6441.32251.file.eng.pdf

You'll be accessed in exam and coursework format, and depending on which module, determines how heavily the coursework/ exam ratio will way. Coursework is basically lab reports, some dissections, and poster/presentation work.

If you want to apply for grad entry you can do this by showing your interest during the induction during freshers' week. But I think only 2 students from each course are chosen i.e 2 students from biomed, 2 from biochem etc... so It's very competitive, so it all depends on how high your grads are, and any relevant experience.
Hey there,

I just wanted to ask if is it ok not going to the freshers event? Will it effect my capability of making new friends? (I know its a silly question) I think I won't be going because I don't want to go alone , its weird going alone :s-smilie:. Also, can you please tell me anything you know about Aberdare Hall? :smile:

Thank you.
Reply 9
What's your opinion on university hall specifically Tower :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lycia Goh
Hey there,

I just wanted to ask if is it ok not going to the freshers event? Will it effect my capability of making new friends? (I know its a silly question) I think I won't be going because I don't want to go alone , its weird going alone :s-smilie:. Also, can you please tell me anything you know about Aberdare Hall? :smile:

Thank you.

Which freshers event?
Original post by Miracle Day
Which freshers event?

The Ice Breaker event or any similar events. I was hoping to check out who is going when i get there and just buy the tickets there. :biggrin:
The Ice Breaker event or any similar events. I was hoping to check out who is going when i get there and just buy the tickets there. :biggrin:

From experience last year, 90% of my housemates had icebreaker tickets too
From experience last year, 90% of my housemates had icebreaker tickets too

Thats a lot of people. Then is it possible to buy the tickets at the door?
Hi, what accommodation were you in? Do you know anything about Cartwright Court - specifically how many are in each flat, good places to go around that area and whether the rooms in flats have sinks in them haha?
Also for the bio common first year are there any books you'd recommend getting/borrowing? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats a lot of people. Then is it possible to buy the tickets at the door?

Sold out last year.
Sold out last year.

I see. Thanks for the help. I think I will buy it now then :smile:
Reply 17
I see. Thanks for the help. I think I will buy it now then :smile:

Hey :-) I am going to study law as well and as far as I could see, you're going too, right?
I don't think you should worry about not going to all freshers' events. I don't plan to do it either haha. Just thinking .. if you're alone we could meet up and attend together the 'Enrollment Week's events? :-) If you'd be interested, you can find me on Facebook with the name Simona Vaipan

xxxxxxx
Original post by simonav1
Hey :-) I am going to study law as well and as far as I could see, you're going too, right?
I don't think you should worry about not going to all freshers' events. I don't plan to do it either haha. Just thinking .. if you're alone we could meet up and attend together the 'Enrollment Week's events? :-) If you'd be interested, you can find me on Facebook with the name Simona Vaipan

xxxxxxx

Enrollment week event? Is it the events posted on the SU website? :confused:

Sure I'd love to meet up and we can go together. Im going to the University alone so it will be nice having a friend to go with. :biggrin:
Reply 19
Hey guys
I saw that some of you are still thinking about the icebreaker event, and I just saw on Facebook that there were 30 tickets left yesterday, and 10 left today. I'm not sure about the whole getting them at the door last minute, but if anyone's interested in getting them here's the link I used to get mine:
https://next.fatsoma.com/events/5p6lhkqd?r=f189e115-3fed-4419-b0f0-297bef9fd3ab
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending