The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Any questions about soas?

Scroll to see replies

Exactly how lenient are SOAS with A-level grades? I'm thinking of going through clearing to get onto either Chinese or Chinese and Korean, possibly even Korean. Are the courses oversubscribed and would they consider me if I dropped 2 grades, for example?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by jongdaeophile
Exactly how lenient are SOAS with A-level grades? I'm thinking of going through clearing to get onto either Chinese or Chinese and Korean, possibly even Korean. Are the courses oversubscribed and would they consider me if I dropped 2 grades, for example?

dude i just called them now and got a place even though my GCSE is 1 lower.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by serenaax
Hey guys, I was wondering wether I'd still stand a chance of getting a room in Dinwiddy if I apply now? Also, what other student hall like places are used by a lot of SOAS students?
Thanks so much!

Hi!

Unfortunately due to the high number of applicants Dinwiddy is generally over-subscribed especially at this time in the year. Still have a go, but it would also be helpful if you lived outside of London.

You can call the Sanctuary Management Services on 020 7841 0480 or visit www.smsstudent.co.uk if you have already applied for housing.

If you haven't applied for housing yet, the options are outlined on http://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/ug/accommodation/ .

All the best on your results!:smile:
Original post by itsamirbitches
dude i just called them now and got a place even though my GCSE is 1 lower and my qualification is non-standard (BTEC). BE AS ENTHUSIASTIC AS YOU CAN AND TALK ALOT.

Hi,

Its definitely possible but also dependent on the course - however if you go through clearing and have got less than ABB or its equivalent (ie. A* B C) unfortunately SOAS wont be able to offer a place. :frown:
Is it true that SOAS has way more women than men and also way more mature students? Also, what's the accomodation and food like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just a quick update, Soas is taking students, across the board with AAB grades during clearing.

Just a quick update Everyone - Soas are looking for students with ABB grades across the board today during Clearing.
Reply 47
Original post by sumaiya Fatine
Hi,

Its definitely possible but also dependent on the course - however if you go through clearing and have got less than ABB or its equivalent (ie. A* B C) unfortunately SOAS wont be able to offer a place. :frown:

Hi, what if you were less than 5 marks off the desired grade? Will you not be accepted??
Hi,

Unfortunately, as non-ki-san has confirmed, only those results of ABB or above can be considered for clearing - they are actually incapable of receiving anything under than that (expect for mitigating circumstances) as they have already fulfilled the quote for grades below this and will be fined otherwise.
Reply 49
Hey, do you know wether it's likely to still be offered a spot in Dinwiddy House if I only apply now? And if not, what are some other good accomodation halls where SOAS students usually go to?
Thanks so much
Reply 50
Hi,

Unfortunately, as non-ki-san has confirmed, only those results of ABB or above can be considered for clearing - they are actually incapable of receiving anything under than that (expect for mitigating circumstances) as they have already fulfilled the quote for grades below this and will be fined otherwise.

Hi again one of my family members died during the exam season. Will that be a mitigating factor which can help me get a place or not?

Please let me know
Original post by YulianaRus
Hey, Sumaiya, I have a question for you. How many languages can one study in SOAS simultaneously? I am going to do postgrad but I assume ruled do not differ so much? For example, if I take Cantonese as a part of my degree, can I also study Mandarin, even if it will not count towards my degree? Is it free of charge?

Hi there, As far as l am aware, even if you study a language as part of your degree, you will also be able to study a second language, which may not form part of your degree programme or even contribute to your overall grade, through the 'Language Entitlement scheme' that Soas runs. This means that every student who studies at soas, regardless of their degree discipline, is entitled to study a language, even if it doesn't contribute to their degree. This being said, if you were to have additional language classes on top of your degree timetable, you will need to be organised to keep up with the additional studying required for the language classes.

Overall, it is a great scheme and a great way to learn a language you would have otherwise passed by.
Hope that answers your question?
Reply 52

I'm not sure how it works with the new ABB rules, and slight loosening of the cap on students, but I know that Korean is not usually oversubscribed. However the year below me has at least 10+ more students on the BA Korean programme than my year. Worth a try in any case. Chinese is more popular than Korean as far as I'm aware.
Reply 53
Got BBB, so I gave SOAS a call..
I know I'm one off ABB, but c'mon, all they said was ' Sorry we can't help you there, the minimum grades are ABB.' Like not many people are as enthusiastic about learning Chinese than me!!!!!!! lol.
But I wasn't too fussed, got into a great course elsewhere :biggrin:
Original post by xxblue
Hi again one of my family members died during the exam season. Will that be a mitigating factor which can help me get a place or not?

Please let me know

Hi there,

Its definitely worth telling SOAS about it and they should reconsider your application - the place to email is [email protected]
Original post by Edminzodo
Is it true that SOAS has way more women than men and also way more mature students? Also, what's the accomodation and food like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I wouldnt say way more women than men, I think its more or less 10% more women but there is a relatively large mature student body (mature being students over like 21). Accommodation I couldn't give you a personal answer although Ive heard socially its great, but in terms of hygiene and general maintenance I haven't heard the best reviews. If by food you mean in the canteen - its decent, they have an array of food to accommodate different dietary requirements but in honesty it is rather pricey.
Original post by non-ki-san
Hi there, As far as l am aware, even if you study a language as part of your degree, you will also be able to study a second language, which may not form part of your degree programme or even contribute to your overall grade, through the 'Language Entitlement scheme' that Soas runs. This means that every student who studies at soas, regardless of their degree discipline, is entitled to study a language, even if it doesn't contribute to their degree. This being said, if you were to have additional language classes on top of your degree timetable, you will need to be organised to keep up with the additional studying required for the language classes.

Overall, it is a great scheme and a great way to learn a language you would have otherwise passed by.
Hope that answers your question?

Hey, thank you very much, it surely helps! Do you mind answering a couple of more questions regarding the scheme?
What are the possible time slots for the additional classes usually? I mean, is it possible to avoid clashes? And just to make things clear, the scheme applies to postgrads, right? And one more, does the workload for the additional language equals that of the regular degree language courses?
Hi!

Unfortunately due to the high number of applicants Dinwiddy is generally over-subscribed especially at this time in the year. Still have a go, but it would also be helpful if you lived outside of London.

You can call the Sanctuary Management Services on 020 7841 0480 or visit www.smsstudent.co.uk if you have already applied for housing.

If you haven't applied for housing yet, the options are outlined on http://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/ug/accommodation/ .

All the best on your results!:smile:

During my time at Soas, l've mainly used this website

www.spareroom.co.uk

l've always managed to find a room. You can specify your budget and your location and the website does the rest for you.
A word of advice though, don't think by living further out in zone 3/4 you'll be saving yourself money. The difference in rent is not that much, and you will always have the hassle of commuting, and even if that's just an hour each way, that's 2 hours a day you are wasting, and in a month that's a lot of time wasting. l've also pasted the accommodation page on the Soas website for your too. Also, l know a few students who've joined this Guardian Scheme, and they get to live in central, very central London for pittance.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/ug/accommodation/

https://www.soas.ac.uk/students/accommodation/
Reply 58
Hi there,

Its definitely worth telling SOAS about it and they should reconsider your application - the place to email is [email protected]

Hi again,

I know alot of people say this but I've always wanted to go SOAS. Everytime I call them they keep saying I won't be accepted because I got ABC and the requirement was ABB I was sooo close to get an A* and even a B but unfortunately they still wouldn't consider it. I don't want to get it remarked because I'm scared my grade will go even lower because they are alot harsher when it gets remarked. I will call again and again but I doubt I will be given a place. I called another university (Birkbeck) and they accepted me so is there any chance for me to transfer to SOAS second year ug? Please help
Reply 59
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey so I want to study history at soas my as results were ACCD. I got an A in English literature however I got a C for history and politics and a D in sociology would this hurt my chances of getting on a history course at soas...need help I really want to go there tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest