The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Any questions about soas?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxblue
So they will accept with A* BC????

They will accept the application for consideration - it doesn't necessarily mean acceptance. They would still look at GCSE grades, personal statement, references etc
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by besarlalluvia
Hey I found this http://www.soas.ac.uk/timetable/current/ if you go to Course and find your subjects. Under each course there is a number indicating estimate number of students (you'll see when you look) however idk if this is accurate

Yup - I believe that gives an approximate number.
As with any university, the number varies from year to year and from course to course.

Some popular courses such as Economics and Politics begin with about 100-150 in the first year core modules. The classes get smaller as the years go on and there are more varieties of modules to choose. My smallest was in first year History 'Chinggis Khan', there were about 15 of us.
Could I take a language floater in the first year, given that I have two A-levels in Euro languages and I've taught myself a bit of the language already?
I read somewhere on the site that it's not recommended in the first year..
Reply 83
Could I take a language floater in the first year, given that I have two A-levels in Euro languages and I've taught myself a bit of the language already?
I read somewhere on the site that it's not recommended in the first year..

iirc it's not recommended if you're in the first year of an ab initio language degree but you can probably still try?
Original post by laridum
iirc it's not recommended if you're in the first year of an ab initio language degree but you can probably still try?

yeah i guess that's the ultimate option really. it's not one of the busy languages (chinese/arabic/japanese) so it should be ok i guess?
Reply 85
yeah i guess that's the ultimate option really. it's not one of the busy languages (chinese/arabic/japanese) so it should be ok i guess?

Should be okay, and you have done languages at A-level, which helps.
Can someone please explain how the "open option" work? I'll be doing BA History and plan to do 2 introductory modules with the open option, but how much choice will I have?
For example, can I study Japanese Cinema which is a year 2 course from BA Japanese Studies or will it have to be a year 1 course?

Reply 87
Does anyone know what the enrollment process is like? I know that some of my friends from different unis were allowed to take their own photos to use as ID's, is this the case at soas?
Reply 88
Hey!
I basically have my conditional offer from SOAS to study entry level 2 llb, they said they want a 2:1 overall however I'm scared I may get just below. Does anyone know if they're strict on the entry requirements ? I really want to go and love the modules. I'm currently a Nottingham Trent student but hate it there.
If anyone could get back to me please 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxblue
Thank you for your quick responses Sumaiya, may allah reward you for answering our questions with honesty and kindness.

I will transfer inshallah second year and contact the univeristy to get more information as to how this transfer works. But one quick question will I be put down because I have the ABC grade for a-levels or will the admissions look at my first year results first? Also, do you know when we find out if we have have been successful in our application? And what if the modules for the first year at birkbeck are not the same as the modules completed at SOAS ???

Will I be put at a disadvantage??

Thanks again for your help Sumaiya :smile:

This response is a little late, but I've just transferred to SOAS this year for a course with AAA requirements, and I achieved ABU at A Level (mainly down to mitigating circumstances). But I went to another uni and got a firsts and transferred. They will ask about your modules and depending on them, will decide whether they can offer you a place in 1st year or allow you to go straight into 2nd year. I know you weren't asking me, but I was in a similar position and now I'm going to SOAS :smile:
Hey Sumaiya,
I was just wondering if it is hard to make friends at SOAS if you don't live on halls? In my last uni, I found it difficult to make friends because I wasn't living on halls and I'm staying at home this year, but yeah, would this put me at a disadvantage?
Thanks in advance!
Original post by moneyhoney
Hey Sumaiya,
I was just wondering if it is hard to make friends at SOAS if you don't live on halls? In my last uni, I found it difficult to make friends because I wasn't living on halls and I'm staying at home this year, but yeah, would this put me at a disadvantage?
Thanks in advance!

By home do you mean London? If so, you'll have no problem. Of course, it depends on your social life and other extraneous factors, but because SOAS is in London and is quite small, it doesn't really have the vibe of a campus uni at all.
Original post by xssami
Hey!
I basically have my conditional offer from SOAS to study entry level 2 llb, they said they want a 2:1 overall however I'm scared I may get just below. Does anyone know if they're strict on the entry requirements ? I really want to go and love the modules. I'm currently a Nottingham Trent student but hate it there.
If anyone could get back to me please 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

SOAS are big on personal statements, so if yours makes you sound interesting and (most importantly) genuinely interested in what you're studying, they'll certainly consider you. Basically, they don't want drop outs, so if you demonstrate a passion for the subject and a will to work hard, that should be good enough.
Original post by Envee
Does anyone know what the enrollment process is like? I know that some of my friends from different unis were allowed to take their own photos to use as ID's, is this the case at soas?

You might be able to submit your own photo, but afaik they just take the photo there and then when you enroll. My photo is atrocious for this reason.
Original post by Envee

http://www.soas.ac.uk/welcome/undergraduate-and-postgraduate-taught-masters-students/enrolment-onto-your-degree/

According to the website, you can upload a photo and have it approved before welcome week so your card will be ready when you show up to enroll.
Reply 95
Original post by moneyhoney
This response is a little late, but I've just transferred to SOAS this year for a course with AAA requirements, and I achieved ABU at A Level (mainly down to mitigating circumstances). But I went to another uni and got a firsts and transferred. They will ask about your modules and depending on them, will decide whether they can offer you a place in 1st year or allow you to go straight into 2nd year. I know you weren't asking me, but I was in a similar position and now I'm going to SOAS :smile:

THANK THANK THANK THANK YOU SOO MUCH

Thank you for taking out your time and reading this and responding to my problem, thank you, you don't understand how happy you have made me feel.

Can I PM you with further questions if you don't mind?
Reply 96
I've got a question - is no-one embarrassed to not give money to those Hare Krishna guys? Or to get food handouts whilst clutching a Mulberry bag and an iPhone?
Reply 97
Original post by xssami
Hey!
If anyone could get back to me please ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Sami,

I am in the same position as you and was wondering how this whole transfer process worked out for you?

Do you mind if I PM you to speak to you about this further

Thanks
Original post by xxblue
THANK THANK THANK THANK YOU SOO MUCH

Thank you for taking out your time and reading this and responding to my problem, thank you, you don't understand how happy you have made me feel.

Can I PM you with further questions if you don't mind?

No problem dear! Glad I reassured you, and yeah sure you can PM me any questions you have!
Original post by grass mud horse
By home do you mean London? If so, you'll have no problem. Of course, it depends on your social life and other extraneous factors, but because SOAS is in London and is quite small, it doesn't really have the vibe of a campus uni at all.

Thanks so much for the advance. Home is London, yeahhhh, I'm excited :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending