The Student Room Group

Rosetta Stone

Hello, currently I am using Rosetta Stone for French in addition to other resources, however, I don't really think it's working that well.

Does anyone else have experience of Rosetta Stone in that it works gradually over time despite it being quite unhelpful in earlier stages?

Please share your experiences of Rosetta Stone.

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Hello, currently I am using Rosetta Stone for French in addition to other resources, however, I don't really think it's working that well.

Does anyone else have experience of Rosetta Stone in that it works gradually over time despite it being quite unhelpful in earlier stages?

Hey. I personally find Rosetta Stone a little ineffective - it doesn't teach grammar rules which I find really annoying. The best tools to use: Duolingo, Memrise and Babbel; all three are very effective, and they offer grammar help as well. I managed to learn Portuguese through Duolingo - it's an awesome tool.

With Rosetta Stone, it might help to fathom some robotic conversations; they only teach you how to say one line, which means you can't explore the language.

Anyway, good luck with your French. With perseverance, you'll be able to learn it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jake4198
Hey. I personally find Rosetta Stone a little ineffective - it doesn't teach grammar rules which I find really annoying. The best tools to use: Duolingo, Memrise and Babbel; all three are very effective, and they offer grammar help as well. I managed to learn Portuguese through Duolingo - it's an awesome tool.

With Rosetta Stone, it might help to fathom some robotic conversations; they only teach you how to say one line, which means you can't explore the language.

Anyway, good luck with your French. With perseverance, you'll be able to learn it :smile:

Thanks for the Duolingo recommendation, I'm trying it now. :smile:

Hi,

I used Rosetta Stone when I started Japanese, Korean, Russian and Swedish, so I have quite a bit of experience with it.

I completely agree that in the earlier stages it is pretty useless, and what I dislike about it is that it doesn't teach grammar properly and that it is so repetitive that you get bored very quickly.

This aside though, I have found it quite useful, though using it in conjunction with other resources (which you've said you're doing) is a must. Rosetta Stone covers A LOT of vocab without you realizing it, and it genuinely does help with language learning.

Later on the lessons are more complicated, and you cover more than just "the boy is eating", so I would recommend sticking with it.

As far as other resources go, I was going to suggest Duolingo, Babbel and Memrise, but that's already been done!! Those three are really good so check them out. Other things like watching subtitled French films, listening to French music etc. would be good at exposing you to spoken French, so is suggest that too.

Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by TheTechN1304
Hi,

I used Rosetta Stone when I started Japanese, Korean, Russian and Swedish, so I have quite a bit of experience with it.

I completely agree that in the earlier stages it is pretty useless, and what I dislike about it is that it doesn't teach grammar properly and that it is so repetitive that you get bored very quickly.

This aside though, I have found it quite useful, though using it in conjunction with other resources (which you've said you're doing) is a must. Rosetta Stone covers A LOT of vocab without you realizing it, and it genuinely does help with language learning.

Later on the lessons are more complicated, and you cover more than just "the boy is eating", so I would recommend sticking with it.

As far as other resources go, I was going to suggest Duolingo, Babbel and Memrise, but that's already been done!! Those three are really good so check them out. Other things like watching subtitled French films, listening to French music etc. would be good at exposing you to spoken French, so is suggest that too.

Good luck :biggrin:

Thank you, that was very helpful. I think I may stick to it in conjunction with the other resources, it was fairly expensive after all and it may be beneficial as long as I stick to it! I currently listen to french radio and try to pick out words with a dictionary to get accustomed to the accents and pronunciation! :biggrin:
Reply 5

Bit of a late response, but I'd hugely recommend the 'coffee break french' podcast on iTunes if you can access it. There's like 400 episodes or something crazy and it starts from the very beginnings of French to fairly advanced :-) I can't comment on seasons 1, 2 or 3 because I only found out about it last month by accident, and season 4 was about my level so that's where I started from, but if they're anything like season 4 they'll be very good. Give it a try if you're bored :tongue: You can pay for additional resources if you want, but for me the free podcast suffices :-)

Oh, and I've heard Rosetta Stone is a bit tedious, but haven't tried it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest