The Student Room Group

What is your uni gym like? (srs)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RollerBall
I've only ever had trouble on the weekend when I sometimes wake up hella late. Is the 24h any good? When I had a look for alternative gyms about a year ago they were either all crap (no racks, one bar + bench etc) or about £15 a month more expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a good gym, has all the facilities, but yeah it is quite a bit more expensive. Just useful for me because I can use both branches and also 24/7
Original post by dasitmanedasit
lol no thanks. Brb working out next to students, much rather go to the gym that looks battered from the outside and has huge jacked guys. Thats what i learnt from my first year of sixth form.

People like to pedal this myth cos it makes them feel more hardcore, it's this romantic notion, but it's just wrong.

The best gym is the one with the best equipment. I've worked out in both types and the uni gym was much better. Proper bars, plates, racks and platforms, and instructors with masters/phds in strength & conditioning >>>> dirty basement with bashed up bent old bars and big guys who are juiced up to their eyeballs and can bench 220 but can only quarter squat 3 plates.
Original post by bertstare
It's a good gym, has all the facilities, but yeah it is quite a bit more expensive. Just useful for me because I can use both branches and also 24/7

Fair. I'm gonna stick with qmo and my home stuff then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hanhar
Lol brah no one is mirin, heard Loughborough has 90% men or something lol strong phaggot
Brb all I need is all the equipment in the gym, not a single phhhu is given if gym looks good.

i'm notsherriffsrs, do you go to the gym to train or to look at women? Learn your priorities, there's night clubs and then there's gym. Pretty sure you're the creeper that just stares at women at the gym all day and then is too afraid to approach them

Regardless, did I say this gym was great because it looked good? Contemplating whether or not you even lift or not atm lmao
Reply 44
Original post by Tinglay
i'm notsherriffsrs, do you go to the gym to train or to look at women? Learn your priorities, there's night clubs and then there's gym. Pretty sure you're the creeper that just stares at women at the gym all day and then is too afraid to approach them

Regardless, did I say this gym was great because it looked good? Contemplating whether or not you even lift or not atm lmao

I do lift
(edited 9 years ago)
in

it's small, but all the equipment is pretty good.
Reply 46
This thread is getting me super excited for uni and I'm not even going for two years :lol: /goingat22whynot

Does anyone know what UCL/KCL/LSE's gyms are like? I want to go to uni in London (if I can't make Oxbridge) and join a uni gym if possible. But if they're **** I might just stick to a non-uni one.
Original post by Swirll
This thread is getting me super excited for uni and I'm not even going for two years :lol: /goingat22whynot

Does anyone know what UCL/KCL/LSE's gyms are like? I want to go to uni in London (if I can't make Oxbridge) and join a uni gym if possible. But if they're **** I might just stick to a non-uni one.

UCL is ****, a mate of mine was studying at LSHTM and got told off for using liquid chalk and taking his shoes off. Facilities are average.

Don't know about LSE (it may be the same as UCL) bit I know of a couple of LSE guys who travel to Qmotion (QM's gym) to train because you get a reduced 'associate' membership for being part of ULU which is halfway between QM/BL prices and Joe Blogs price.

MichaelXYZ

X

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCL is ****, a mate of mine was studying at LSHTM and got told off for using liquid chalk and taking his shoes off. Facilities are average.

Don't know about LSE (it may be the same as UCL) bit I know of a couple of LSE guys who travel to Qmotion (QM's gym) to train because you get a reduced 'associate' membership for being part of ULU which is halfway between QM/BL prices and Joe Blogs price.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh taking your shoes off is worth a telling off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Wonder if all/most uni gyms have full sized climbing walls/caves?

And yea, the US kicks our asses! http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/features/the-25-most-amazing-campus-student-recreation-centers/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ElChapo
Tbh taking your shoes off is worth a telling off

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if srs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Not sure if srs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if srs about not being sure if srs.

Honestly it's a pretty standard rule at most gyms.
Sussex uni gym good. 4 racks and I never wait to use one. There's a few very serious powerlifters(national level) that train there and a few oly lifters.

They're getting in a CrossFit style frame atm which should be lols.
Original post by Tinglay

u mirin Loughborough uni gym?

brb the only uni gym in the UK to feature a GHR machine, also has some strongman equipment & Eleiko plates

If it's the only uni gym in the UK to feature a GHR machine, then you might guess that many of us wouldn't have heard of a GHR machine. Googled it and ended up with Grampian Hospital Radio. Care to explain?
Original post by Architecture-er
Can't get a full photo because the gym is so long with walkways going overhead, but this is the floorplan, at the far end (left on the bottom-most image) is the athlete training suite

What this photo doesn't show, amusingly, is the fishbowl-like nature of the gym. Enough windows and open walkways to dissuade anyone who isn't keen on others seeing them in their gym gear from going, I think - kind of looks like they squidged it into dead space. Another consequence of all those windows... saw a girl on my course in the gym at about midday after I'd been swimming... saw her in a lecture at 4pm wearing the same yoga pants. ewewewewew.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
If it's the only uni gym in the UK to feature a GHR machine, then you might guess that many of us wouldn't have heard of a GHR machine. Googled it and ended up with Grampian Hospital Radio. Care to explain?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ghr+gym+machine

What this photo doesn't show, amusingly, is the fishbowl-like nature of the gym. Enough windows and open walkways to dissuade anyone who isn't keen on others seeing them in their gym gear from going, I think - kind of looks like they squidged it into dead space. Another consequence of all those windows... saw a girl on my course in the gym at about midday after I'd been swimming... saw her in a lecture at 4pm wearing the same yoga pants. ewewewewew.

Who cares if people see you working out? I'm sure nobody pays attention anyway.

A glute ham raise. I'm actually wrong, since it turns out some gyms do have them. But it's a minority, I've been to 6 or 7 gyms, none really have it.

I was half halfheartedly kidding when I said that though, everyone seemed to get upset when I said it was the only uk gym to feature it lmao.
Original post by samba
Wonder if all/most uni gyms have full sized climbing walls/caves?

And yea, the US kicks our asses! http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/features/the-25-most-amazing-campus-student-recreation-centers/

Lancaster has full sized climbing walls. I don't do climbing so I don't know if it's up to your standards, but check it out if you're applying to unis.
Original post by Sex God
Not sure if srs about not being sure if srs.

Honestly it's a pretty standard rule at most gyms.

At bad commercial gyms, maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At bad commercial gyms, maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you need to take your shoes off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply