The Student Room Group

Doing games programming with c++ and I feel overwhelmed.

Heya, I am doing games programming in bournemouth in September and wanted to see if anyone else had done this course and had some advice.

i finished college doing 3 programming courses , procedural programming event driven and object but only using basic which as you know is a higher level language so it does a lot of the work for you, now I am starting looking at c++ after I found out this is what is majorly used and it's a bit overwhelming .

I see what is going on but actually seeing what is going on and doing it myself is another thing, I am not a good programmer by any means of the imagination, I just thought games programming would have been fun , I'm pretty sure it will be I just wanted to find out by some people on here about how hard it actually is ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
In my college course I got 100 percent, I was good at the written work but the people I sat next to all sort of worked together, so I never really had to try as hard and I should have.

i am currently following the guide on starting a game from scratch c++ following the steps and reading about what each bit does. And also looking at the c++ from scratch but a lot of this is very basic and I feel I understand it all coming from basic and feel it is going to be a good referencing website to find information.
Reply 2
And if I find it to hard how easy is it to change courses I really hate thinking like this but I am a worrier I should just go and try my hardest and I will succeed , but there is always that doubt there , I am not the most confident of people.
Original post by Escavar
And if I find it to hard how easy is it to change courses I really hate thinking like this but I am a worrier I should just go and try my hardest and I will succeed , but there is always that doubt there , I am not the most confident of people.

No need to think like it. If you put your best efforts in during the degree then you'll receive good results.

It's great that you're practice beforehand, but the course will teach you everything necessary you need to become a good games programmer.

Programming by any means is difficult, you can't really go from doing those modules on your course to designing a game, you should probably spend the rest of the summer understanding the language and the structure of it a little more. Perhaps do some basic interactive command-based games using shell scripting?

Creativity really is difficult and it does take a long time to think of a decent game, you can't just do a nights worth of thinking then expect to have a game planned out. It takes a long while, especially to think of a good game

Changing courses varies on the university. Some universities have the first year as a 'taster' year, which will include mixed modules which gives you an opportunity to transfer/change courses.

EDIT: If you live with doubt, then it's only going to limit what you will/can do.

Here's someone that also might give good advice
Jooooshy
X
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply, the website I'm following is a basic pang game, but I will try and use the framework and alter it to do other things and use the c++ from scratch to learn the fundamentals and learn the basics.

yeah actually this course splits into 2 after the first year I think with the option to go into games technology.

i will try my hardest and if it's not enough and the lecturer can see this hopefully they will be able to help.
Original post by Binary Freak
X

Thanks for the quote. You covered most of what I would have said anyway :smile: PRSOM

Original post by Escavar
X

If you're struggling with the language then read this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628

It's C, but you'll overcome the problems you seem to be facing with C++ if you read it. I'd recommend one of Stroustrup's (creator of C++) books, but they're really big (1000+ pages) and can be difficult to read if you're not motivated enough to plough through them!

Wait until you've started the course before you entertain the idea of moving to a different one :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Jooooshy
Thanks for the quote. You covered most of what I would have said anyway :smile: PRSOM

If you're struggling with the language then read this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628

It's C, but you'll overcome the problems you seem to be facing with C++ if you read it. I'd recommend one of Stroustrup's (creator of C++) books, but they're really big (1000+ pages) and can be difficult to read if you're not motivated enough to plough through them!

Wait until you've started the course before you entertain the idea of moving to a different one :smile:

Awesome thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look at the one book and go on from there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending