The Student Room Group

out of sheer curiosity..

just thinking of backup choices if i dont get into medicine this year.
is doing a degree in physiology a good thing to do.ideally if i didnt get in i would like to transfer over to medicine at the end.
i remember hearing someone saying physiology grads are sort after...firstly why is that, and secondly what other jobs does physiology lead into?
thanks
Reply 1
I have no idea why physiology graduates are sought-after, but this is what King's College London's site has to say about career prospects after the degree:
"In the last few years about a quarter of our students have entered medicine or dentistry as graduates, and a quarter of the students have undertaken postgraduate degrees in the biomedical sciences. We do not expect, however, that everyone with a physiology degree will embark on a scientific career. Those who choose not to continue in science follow a wide variety of career paths; in the past some of these have included law, journalism, accountancy, the film industry and banking, as well as bioengineering, fish farming, forensic science, ophthalmology and radiography."

I'm not particularly advertising King's, that was just the first programme I came across!
Reply 2
ah ok.
its just that i heard for some people it is a good step into medicine, but if that fails you are left with a dead-end job...
what is the down-low on this?
Reply 3
Physiology will stand you in excellent stead to apply to med as a graduate... BUT... For your first attempt at entry, my humble advice would be to concentrate on geting into med school. If you don't get an offer, apply again post A2 grades, taking a gap. Apply to 4 x med and 2 x another course at this point. If you do not secure a place then, contemplate going down the graduate route... The graduate route is infinitely more competative - for both GEP and 5 year medicine...

Latest

Trending

Trending