The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because iMessage
Because it plays music, texts, lets me check facebook, and gives me things to read and watch if I have a few minutes to kill and no laptop. That's all I need. I don't care how much technically better other phones are, personally. I'm used to this one, and it works.

I can also answer imessages on my mac, and apparently, soon, general calls and texts, which is pretty cool.
Original post by TheKian
I seriously don't get it, why would anyone buy an iPhone.
They are overpriced, limited spec, limited ui that can't be changed. It literally doesn't scratch android ui but people still buy them.

Below is a link comparing S3 specs with an iPhone and it is ridiculous. I don't even like the S3 but it's just one low level example that people know about.

http://goo.gl/rSDJ6y

Imagine the difference in an lg g3 or HTC one or even a Nexus 5.

I don't know why you would struggle with this question. It's pretty clear why people buy apple. First reason is because it's pretty, simple and stylish. The design and default programs are all nicely designed. All the apps are also beautifully designed compared to quite a few Google play store apps for androids.

Secondly they're easy to use. Especially for people getting started on smartphones. This also implies that they are simple to use.

Thirdly (only an issue for people who download random stuff off the web) the software is safer.

The apple brand itself is a reason. It has a lot of awareness and people new to the market assume they should get that.

Erm that's about it tbh.

Android hardware is usually much better than the equivalent apple phone that comes out at the same time. Compare Galaxy s5 with iphone 5s. Galaxy 3 with iphone 4. Galaxy s4 with iphone 5 and 5c. Battery life, processor number and speed, expandable memory, better resolution, more megapixels, I think ram would also be better, waterproof and scratch resistant screen. Software wise you are able to download music for free onto the default music app on android, you can torrent files onto your android device and you can pass code lock apps.

Many people don't know this but the android market is bigger than the iOS market internationally. IPhone is mainly targeted at Western nations.

IPhone does ask a higher price but what you are getting is their software and brand.

But some people are saying that iOS's popularity is due to a conspiracy by the entertainment industry to stamp out illegal downloading. Because it's not possible to get songs into your iTunes (you can but it's a pain in the back) and you cannot use torrent software on it. Again, people who are new to the market will just buy all their media if they want something. But if they knew they can get any book, any program, any movie or music or tv show downloaded for free on their Android device, then the media industry will see a small black hole cast into their profits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Because it plays music, texts, lets me check facebook, and gives me things to read and watch if I have a few minutes to kill and no laptop. That's all I need. I don't care how much technically better other phones are, personally. I'm used to this one, and it works.

I can also answer imessages on my mac, and apparently, soon, general calls and texts, which is pretty cool.

Agree with the iMessages, never realised how much more convenient it is after I bought a mac, I use it essentially all the time. And can't wait for the new OSX to be released with the integration of phone and laptop it's going to be great.
I find iPhones easier to use! Android phones have better specifications but they're so complicated... Well to me anyways!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't like massive phones with massive screens! Plus my iPhone is light as hell; it doesn't feel like I have a brick in my pocket.
Original post by TheKian

Because it's Apple, I bought my last iPhone because I was part of the Apple ecosystem but now aside from my Apple TV (for US TV), iMac (for AutoCAD, runs W8 as CAD on OS X is dreadful) and MacBook Pro, I'm not really that fussed about Apple and much prefer the Sony Xperia Z2 in terms of phone :h:

Apple used to be ahead but now they're behind and it's just sad :sad:
Reply 87
So many other better phones than i phones bugs me as my friends all have i phones
Reply 88

If that's all you need, then you are being ripped off. You can do that on any smartphone.
Original post by RVNmax
If that's all you need, then you are being ripped off. You can do that on any smartphone.

I was using a cheaper windows phone for a long while, which I settled with basically for the reasons you just gave, and missed the iPhone (3GS) I used to have because of how user-friendly and nice to use it was. So I got another iPhone. And I'm happy with it. I don't care too much if I paid slightly over the odds. (I only got a 4S, anyway; I couldn't justify the 5S, given what I use it for.)

Also, I need my phone to be integrated with my mac, when they make that happen.
Also, I need my phone to be integrated with my mac, when they make that happen.

No you don't, I bet you didn't know about the features in Yosmite before you got the 4S so why the hell do you need your phone integrated with OS X? You want not need.
Original post by tehFrance
You want not need.

Something of a sterile distinction, given I can have it either way.
Original post by TheKian
They are overpriced, limited spec, limited ui that can't be changed. It literally doesn't scratch android ui but people still buy them.

Below is a link comparing S3 specs with an iPhone and it is ridiculous. I don't even like the S3 but it's just one low level example that people know about.

http://goo.gl/rSDJ6y

Imagine the difference in an lg g3 or HTC one or even a Nexus 5.

- Branding
- Functionality

Apple is overpriced because it has a sexy image. That's been lost IMO since Jobs died, and they need to do as Samsung (make phones for all market segments).
To be more professional and get in the loop with the rest of the world if you know what I mean . Ya know itunes ? The easier way to all things .

I guess people judge you by phone , such as a person with class would have an iPhone blah blah ..

And to show off too , saying " I'm so rich I gotta iphone "

I believe iphone is great and I want one . I have an ipad but a lousy phone .

Posted from TSR iPad
Reply 94
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
This. Android phones look like 80s throwbacks lol

They look disgusting
My friend keeps trying to defend the s5 looks but knows it looks crap
Reply 95
Original post by septimius
- Branding
- Functionality

Apple is overpriced because it has a sexy image. That's been lost IMO since Jobs died, and they need to do as Samsung (make phones for all market segments).

They should keep it a phone that's high priced and not for all segments.
That is the value of iPhone and makes it desirable.
And the sexy image is why people buy it :biggrin:
It's like choosing between a model or a economical woman (eg good in kitchen).
Most people would choose a model who isn't as economical.

So, if the only things you need it for are things pretty much any smartphone will do, why go for one of the more expensive ones on the market rather than a cheaper one that does the job at least as well?

I also find it amusing how people still buy them to pose with
iPhone user: "Look at me, I have an i phone" (with particualry emphasis on the "i")
Everybody else: "Along with all the other tens [or is it hundreds these days] of millions of others"

Original post by barneystin
this.

Android is for poor people. this is fact.

http://www.businessinsider.com/android-is-for-poor-people-maps-2014-4

Can anybody even take that seriously? A weak correlation between type of phone owned and average wealth in the area, not to mention that in the "iPhone" areas there are also a hell of a lot of Android users (to the extent that it's not exactly clear which is larger, or if the iphone majority is at all significant). And since when did being able to spend an extra £100-200 p/a on a phone make you rich?
And I wonder, has the person writing that article has ever been into a school? I must say, in my experience almost as many poor kids have iPhones as rich kids.
There is also a very clear bias in the written part. It says "only on phones do Android users spend more", but an equally true statement, given the data given, would be "only on tablets to iOS users spend more", but they don't say that.
They then go on to show the distribution of spending on iPad, iPhone and Android devices, but they fail to take into account market share, surely the data given before should make you question the validity of the statements being made. They then go on and try to make excuses as to why Apple do worse in Asia, why don't they extend the same courtesy to Android?
Additionally, on that map, they put in iPad app sales. What portion of tablets use Android? if 90% of android devices are phones and only 10% are tablets then the conclusion to draw is that "Android phone users spend about the same in the west as iPhone users on apps" rather thatn the "hur hur hur, I'm a crap journalist, Apple fur teh winz"
Also, the correct conclusion is "Poor people buy android", not "Android is for poor people" which are distinctly different.
Not to mention that there is something wrong with you if you measure wealth by phone.
The article also fails to consider varying prices on Android, poor people buy cheap androids, similarly, richer people buy expensive androids (costing as much as or more than iPhones)

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the biggest factors is that people think along the lines of "Apple used to make good stuff. Apple must still make good stuff" without actually looking at other stuff and informing themselves.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ETRC
There was another heat map for the rich areas of London and the poor areas which shows similar results.
Android is not prestige

well you know what they say about poor people...
Original post by Jammy Duel
So, if the only things you need it for are things pretty much any smartphone will do, why go for one of the more expensive ones on the market rather than a cheaper one that does the job at least as well?

I also find it amusing how people still buy them to pose with
iPhone user: "Look at me, I have an i phone" (with particualry emphasis on the "i")
Everybody else: "Along with all the other tens [or is it hundreds these days] of millions of others"

Why, in your mind, does everyone always have to settle for what will do? Are you this miserable irl? I like the iphone layout and I like that it's a nice thing with a responsive screen. I don't particularly care what randoms think of my phone, nor do I see why I'd want to pose with something that loads of people have... If I were looking for something to pose with I'd look for something that's actually exclusive.
Why, in your mind, does everyone always have to settle for what will do? Are you this miserable irl? I like the iphone layout and I like that it's a nice thing with a responsive screen. I don't particularly care what randoms think of my phone, nor do I see why I'd want to pose with something that loads of people have... If I were looking for something to pose with I'd look for something that's actually exclusive.

You answered the question "Why would you buy an iPhone when you can get something worse that does just as well for less?" rather than "Why would you buy an iPhone when you can get something at least as good for less?"

Latest

Trending

Trending