The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official Ask Aston Thread

Hey guys and gals, the purpose of this thread is obviously if you wish to ask the university any questions in particular, I myself have just graduated with my combined honours degree in Psychology and Sociology and have been employed by the university itself to work in the social media department. Thus I should be able to give you insight on a number of things such as courses, accommodation, student life, night-life, societies and any general pointers for those of you whom are about to become Aston students for the next four years.

FYI - If you have questions about accommodation you should forward an email to [email protected]

Don't be shy. :smile:
Josh
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!
I'm an exchange student from Denmark studying at Aston University from September 2014 to January 2015. I havn't been allocated accommodation on campus and I have a hard time finding accommodation elsewhere. What do I do? Where is a good place to search? And is it totally impossible to get accommocation on campus afterall?

Regards Lushka
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Lushka
Hi!
I'm an exchange student from Denmark studying at Aston University from September 2014 to January 2015. I havn't been allocated accommodation on campus and I have a hard time finding accommodation elsewhere. What do I do? Where is a good place to search? And is it totally impossible to get accommocation on campus afterall?

Regards Lushka

Accommodation on campus is guaranteed for all international students, have you applied through this link previously? http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/accommodation/applications/

I would consider sending an email to [email protected] and [email protected] either-way as the deadline was the 8th of August, i wouldn't worry, one of the towers was only half full this year so there should be plenty of space.

A number of students also live off campus in either unite accommodation or in shared houses in Erdington, Edgebaston, Handsworth and Selly Oak.

Hope everything works out for you Lushka

Josh :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you so much Josh!

And yes, I have applied and was told that only a small number of rooms was available for exchange student coming for one teaching period only and that I was not one of the lucky ones. But I will try emailing them and keep on searching! These areas you mention, are they close to the university?
Original post by Lushka
Thank you so much Josh!

And yes, I have applied and was told that only a small number of rooms was available for exchange student coming for one teaching period only and that I was not one of the lucky ones. But I will try emailing them and keep on searching! These areas you mention, are they close to the university?

Most of the areas I mention do require you to take a bus to reach the university, around 10-40 minutes travel time depending on which you choose, however it may be a cheaper option than private accommodation in the city, I personally commuted during my whole three years at Aston and it never held me back.

Josh
Hello, just a quick question for my friend-
She held an offer for Applied Chemistry but got rejected today. However, they did give her on offer for a Foundation Year science programme, after which you can progress onto the Applied Chemistry course.

Is the transfer from the Foundation Year to Applied Chemistry certain? Or will she need to submit a separate internal application via the university in order to transfer?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MissJayySee
Hello, just a quick question for my friend-
She held an offer for Applied Chemistry but got rejected today. However, they did give her on offer for a Foundation Year science programme, after which you can progress onto the Applied Chemistry course.

Is the transfer from the Foundation Year to Applied Chemistry certain? Or will she need to submit a separate internal application via the university in order to transfer?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The transition doesn't have to be applied for as long as she manages to pass her foundation year, congratulations. :smile:

Also apologies for the slow reply, i didn't get a notification about your post.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aston University
The transition doesn't have to be applied for as long as she manages to pass her foundation year, congratulations. :smile:

Also apologies for the slow reply, i didn't get a notification about your post.

Thank you!

No worries about the late reply, can't say mine was very prompt either haha. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Lushka
Hi!

Regards Lushka

Hi Lushka! I'm also an international research student who will be at Aston University from September 2014 to January 2015, and also still waiting for accommodation. But, as Aston University's username says "Accommodation on campus is guaranteed for all international students" and "i wouldn't worry, one of the towers was only half full this year so there should be plenty of space". So, maybe by the next week we'll have news.
Reply 9
Original post by Aston University
Accommodation on campus is guaranteed for all international students, have you applied through this link previously? http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/accommodation/applications/

I would consider sending an email to [email protected] and [email protected] either-way as the deadline was the 8th of August, i wouldn't worry, one of the towers was only half full this year so there should be plenty of space.

A number of students also live off campus in either unite accommodation or in shared houses in Erdington, Edgebaston, Handsworth and Selly Oak.

Hope everything works out for you Lushka

Thanks for the reply, Josh. I'm in the same situation as Lushka, waiting for the resolution accommodation offer, and your reply relief me. :smile:
is biomedical engineering a good degree?
Original post by chukster97
is biomedical engineering a good degree?

Our Biomedical engineering degree is a fantastic opportunity, it's a very hands on course which will provide you a tonne of knowledge in engineering in the medical field. Our course also comes in two forms a regular degree (BEng) or one with a fast track masters. (MEng) So you'll leave with both a degree and a masters degree. All our degrees also have a built in placement year which will allow you to work with a number of internationally respected companies and gain practical experience in the job market. Finally we are in the top 20 for student employment and satisfaction. Also if you have any further questions about the university do not hesitate to ask, i'm an Aston graduate who now works for them so i'm well versed in everything Aston.

I just got my offer for accommodation for 5 bed...I was just wondering how much do I have to pay for the deposit? It's not written on the email or on my accommodation account. Just haven't got a clue! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by awesomearps
I just got my offer for accommodation for 5 bed...I was just wondering how much do I have to pay for the deposit? It's not written on the email or on my accommodation account. Just haven't got a clue! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately i don't know as i'm part of the social media team rather than the accomdation team. You will most likely hear from accommodation shortly, but fire them an email at [email protected] if you're getting jittery. Congrats on your place. :smile:
Reply 14
Hi, my friend was accepted by Aston and it was his firm choice , however it being his firm choice and him applying for accommodation, he is still awaiting confirmation after 2 days although other students at Aston have received their confirmation. Why would this be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AN12
Hi, my friend was accepted by Aston and it was his firm choice , however it being his firm choice and him applying for accommodation, he is still awaiting confirmation after 2 days although other students at Aston have received their confirmation. Why would this be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's most likely just due to the backlog of new students who need to receive accommodation, i would worry though, it's guaranteed for all students who selected Aston as their firm choice. Tell your friend to forward an email to [email protected] if your friend don't have anything mid next week.
The new buildings have extremely funky, bright block coloured walls (red, orange, yellow or lime green), is there any way to find out which colour you got?
Original post by awesomearps

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's £200 I think, that's what I paid for a 5 bed but I also read someone else paying that in a 7 bed :smile:
Original post by Angelika96
It's £200 I think, that's what I paid for a 5 bed but I also read someone else paying that in a 7 bed :smile:

Okay thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I have recently been accepted by Aston uni to study Business and International Relations. I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a reading list (or any books that are relevant)? I have tried Google but nothing comes up for Business and International relations unfortunately.

I understand that books mentioned might not be what the lecturers decide to use; but I want to get a bit of a head start on the reading material.

Quick Reply

Latest