The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
I love sailing, I used to go to sailing with my primary school friends at a local lake near me when I was younger and then I unfortunately had to stop. However I was in the Sea Cadet Corps for 6 years and went sailing on TS Royalist, a 32m Brig twice.

Last year I also did the first Tall Ships race from St Malo to Lisbon on an 18m Clipper Yacht which was fantastic fun!!
Reply 401
I haven't been on the water since the summer, when I took my gf's family sailing in Greece :frown: I'm currently daydreaming about getting a Corribee, but it will be a while until it is more than daydreaming...
Hi everyone :smile: I sail laser radial, and have my RYA level one and two. I'm doing the snowflake series at Chichester at the moment. Anyone have any advice on doing DI/AI? It would be interesting to hear people's experiences doing it while studying!
Original post by boatybells
Hi everyone :smile: I sail laser radial, and have my RYA level one and two. I'm doing the snowflake series at Chichester at the moment. Anyone have any advice on doing DI/AI? It would be interesting to hear people's experiences doing it while studying!

It's been a while since this thread was active 😂

What kind of advice are you after for DI/AI? DI is a much more useful qualification, AI is only valid at the centre that you did the course at.
Oh no!! That's so embarrassing.. Just saw that the most recent post was 5 years ago, not five days. Thank you for the reply anyway- I think I'm going to try to skip AI altogether if my centre will let me. I was interested to see what people's experiences were with working hours and managing to do alllllll the qualifications around their studies.
Original post by boatybells
Oh no!! That's so embarrassing.. Just saw that the most recent post was 5 years ago, not five days. Thank you for the reply anyway- I think I'm going to try to skip AI altogether if my centre will let me. I was interested to see what people's experiences were with working hours and managing to do alllllll the qualifications around their studies.

DI is typically a 5 day course, so I wouldn't have thought it would be all that bad. If you've got any specific questions I may be able to help, I got as far as Senior Instructor but that was long enough ago that my certificate has now lapsed!
Did not know that such a society already exists, that is fine! :smile:

I am very interest to start with sailing one day, even if I just hire a sailing boat. What have to be considered when I do the first steps travelling on the sea for the first time?
Make sure you have a good lightweight,windproof,water proof coat

Latest