The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey I'd love to join your society, I love absolutely anything to do with sailing/the water.

I don't sail much - just on summer holidays - and I'm definitely no expert, but last October (2005) I took my RYA Competent Crew which was a complete blast; staying on a yacht for five days in the Solent, great fun, highly recommended!

As I said I love all types of sailing, but my favourites are windsurfing & 16ft hobie cats. I love wakeboarding too (prefer boats to cable), and have surfed a couple of times.
Reply 61
Keen to join you guys here now that I found this!:smile:

lol well sailing is what most of my life seems to revolve around, dinghies and coaching...

I have been part of the ITCA national youth squad for the last two years, I competed at the topper world championships in italy and came 6th out of 160ish, and came 7th out of 280 at our national champs in weymouth. Now moving into a radial.

I am also a fully qualified RYA dinghy instructor and race coach, Im coaching the topper class intermediate squad this year as well as open trainings, at a few clubs and for Bryan Willis.

So often rather busy, hopefully there will be some other mad people like me that take it seriously and are into the racing:smile:!

Anyone watching Mike Golding and Alex Thompson! Velux 5 Oceans started yesturday!?

Thanks
alex
Reply 62
bump.

Just finished my RYA competant crew qualification.
Also got my RYA PB2 and safety boat Qualis

I usually sail a 50ft'er :smile:
Reply 63
Welcome to the Sailing Society, we hope you enjoy your flaot about with us!
Reply 64
Hey id like to join!

I done a bit of sailing and have just joined the uni sailing club!

Also sell powerboats as a summer job which is cool!
Reply 65
Hey,

I'd like to join the sailing club as well.

Couple of weeks ago, I sailed my RS Feva, a surprisingly roomy, if not very fast dinghy with 3 sails single handed, main jib and gennaker...

It did not go well. I haven't quite got the hang od factoring in the time taken to take the gennaker down, so end up drifting helplessly into the bank while trying to tack (including adjusting the jib), haul down the genaker without filling it with water; thus grappling with the tiller and 8 different ropes at the same time. Miraculously I didn't ground once :-)

I've been sailing some time, but with large gaps in, so I have to relearn things all the time. However, I'm making more of an effort this year. What makes it worse is that other members of my family are irritatingly good, one uncle designs cruising cats (Woods Designs), and one finished 3rd in this year's Laser Master's Nationals.

Oh well. I expect I'll get better eventually. I'm planning (hoping) to build a 16 ft trailable tri next year in my spare time (I'm deferring entry), so that should get me into it...

ukebert
Reply 66
sorry for being slack and not getting on here to accept you Lime_01, but welcome!

and i hope you will join too ukebert!

Anyone any plans to go to dinghy show or boat show in the new year?
Reply 67
sarah_18
sorry for being slack and not getting on here to accept you Lime_01, but welcome!

and i hope you will join too ukebert!

Anyone any plans to go to dinghy show or boat show in the new year?

Yep, I'll be at the London boat show in Jan, probably not the Dinghy one this year tho'.
Reply 68
... and I've just got back.

Anybody who's thinking of going, please do, it's great fun, 'specially as you can go round huge expensive boats while pretending to be interested.

I think I want the Drascombe 22 though, or maybe one of my uncle's catamarans (http://www.sailingcatamarans.com)
I got a job at Minorca Sailing for September - October this year, anyone else going?
Reply 70
How did you get that?
They have sorted all their instructors for the 2007 seaon but next year, send your application in late October. If they like what they see, they will ask you for interview at the London boat show in January. You have to be a qualified dinghy instructor (or windsurfing instructor if that is what you are applying for).

Have been on holiday with them about 5 or 6 times now, so I know the system. Great holiday, fantastic boats, great weather, nearly always wind... can't ask for much more. Its crap pay (just enough to live on), but they give you accomodation, and you can sail the boats in your free time. Don't need anything else. Well maybe some food and a few drinks!
Reply 72
Hmmm.... I'm a powerboat instructor now, but not sailing... I'll look into opportunities - wouldn't mind teaching people to use big ribs in some hot country during the summer :biggrin:
Reply 73
just thought id come and say hi.
im a little bit boat obsessed (though not as bad as i used to be).
ive been around boats since i was like 3 or 4, started kayaking at 5, dinghy sailing at 11...
erm, dads got a yacht and a couple of powerboats, ive got a laser (thinking i might have to sell it this summer before i go to uni, plus im underweight for my full rig - doesnt stop me getting out there and having a wrestle with it though, even if its like november or february!)...
errr, i dont know if i will be joining the uni sailing club since a) where im planning to go they dont sail lasers and b) ive got another sport im more dedicated to nowadays.
aaaand ive sailed on tall ships and yachts and i windsurf too.
just a real water baby really!

sorry about that being a right essay!
but yeah, have i proved i like boats?
Reply 74
I'll accept you like boats :p: Welcome!
Not been sailing in too long. And won't really get the chance til summer, anyway...

No matter how uncomfy dinghy sailing is, trust me when I say coxing a fast rowing boat is even more so! :p:
Reply 76
I can imagine... I never found dinghy sailing too uncomfortable tbh...
Reply 77
Exocet
errr, i dont know if i will be joining the uni sailing club since a) where im planning to go they dont sail lasers and b) ive got another sport im more dedicated to nowadays.

a) It'd probably do you some good to start racing/sailing something else apart from Lasers, I've always rather prefered the bigger 2 handers, more space for my legs :wink: I presume they do Team Racing? That's supposed to be fun, I'm definately going to give it a go.

b) :eek4:
Yah can I join, I have RYA Yachtmaster (the restricted one) and powerboat level 1. Obviously I prefer motorboats, so much more fun on the raz buoy hopping.

Topping sailing at the moment on the Solent with slightly better weather and no summer floaters about. Hold tight the Hamble massive!
Reply 79
I would reinvigorate this thread if I could think of anything to say.

Anyone see yachting World february (think it was)? the Maltese falcon looks 'freaking sweet'.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7418314&postcount=43

Latest