The Student Room Group

I might have aortic regurgitation. (Heart condition)

Scroll to see replies

You need to get an echocardiogram before a diagnosis for any valve problem.

Tbh It does not sound as though your GP thinks it is AR at all. It is a soft diastolic murmur and difficult to pick up. Widened pulse pressure is probably due to your fitness. 'Noisy heart beat' is not very helpful information or diagnostic of much either.

Please get off hear and discuss with your GP if you are worried.
Original post by Kyalimers
Many. Instead of me listing them, take a look here.

You need it investigated, especially because you describe a murmur being heard. It is rare to have isolated systolic hypertension by itself.

Well they said there was a lot of noise, I don't know what that means.
Original post by Revenged
You need to get an echocardiogram before a diagnosis for any valve problem.

Tbh It does not sound as though your GP thinks it is AR at all. It is a soft diastolic murmur and difficult to pick up. Widened pulse pressure is probably due to your fitness. 'Noisy heart beat' is not very helpful information or diagnostic of much either.

Please get off hear and discuss with your GP if you are worried.

Due to my fitness, but I'm very fit?

I literally have no idea what anyone is talking about now lol.
Original post by Dr Alcoholic

You have given us non-scientific, nondescript, vague information to work from. Nobody can tell you anything online definitively based on 'noise' and widened pulse pressure. Go to a cardiologist and get it seen in person.
Reply 24

Basically: chill (as hard as that is), it could be nothing dangerous but probably stay away from the gym for a bit until you've got more info from your GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyalimers
You have given us non-scientific, nondescript, vague information to work from. Nobody can tell you anything online definitively based on 'noise' and widened pulse pressure. Go to a cardiologist and get it seen in person.

I know, I just wanted to know what some of the causes were?
Reply 26
I know, I just wanted to know what some of the causes were?

Perhaps something to do with your username?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Perhaps something to do with your username?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I actually don't drink that much. I just called myself that because when I singed up to tsr I was having a beer or something. In any case even if were an alcoholic, would that increase both my readings?
Echocardiogram is a jelly scan of heart. Only this diagnoses heart valve problems.

Very fit people have slow, stronger and larger hearts. You get slow pulses, wider pulse pressures and more heart muscle. This is from cardiovascular fitness and is normal.
Original post by Revenged
Echocardiogram is a jelly scan of heart. Only this diagnoses heart valve problems.

Very fit people have slow, stronger and larger hearts. You get slow pulses, wider pulse pressures and more heart muscle. This is from cardiovascular fitness and is normal.

Oh how I hope it's because of this. I mean I am very fit and by very fit and I don't just mean average gym goer fit. Like I said I was almost and elite rower until I gave up. I'm short for a rower as well but am able to post erg times as if I were 6"5+ so my heart is strong, or at least I assumed it was plus I have a low resting heart rate.

But 146 is high.
You would think in todays society one could walk in and get a scan with the results recorded onto disc as a prescreen to sport instead of having an NHS doctor say everything's fine until things are quite bad or pay an inflated amount to go private.
Original post by Coffinman
You would think in todays society one could walk in and get a scan with the results recorded onto disc as a prescreen to sport instead of having an NHS doctor say everything's fine until things are quite bad or pay an inflated amount to go private.

Yeah, Wilson and Jungner can both do one. What do they know? Scan everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest