The Student Room Group

What do you think these clothes sizes look like?

People keep writing stuff like "size 14 is fat" and "size 4 is disgusting" and other body shaming stuff. But I don't think people actually realise the size if the sizes (let alone they look different on different people)

For thread purposes, post what you think an average size 8, 10, 12 and 14 are.

i want to see if men's ideas and women's ideas match up (I have a feeling they won't)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
People keep writing stuff like "size 14 is fat" and "size 4 is disgusting" and other body shaming stuff. But I don't think people actually realise the size if the sizes (let alone they look different on different people)

For thread purposes, post what you think an average size 8, 10, 12 and 14 are.

i want to see if men's ideas and women's ideas match up (I have a feeling they won't)

No woman is the same; we all come in different sizes - I really don't what the problem is.

I would say all the sizes you mentioned are normal!
Original post by simplylldxo
No woman is the same; we all come in different sizes - I really don't what the problem is.

I would say all the sizes you mentioned are normal!

I agree! What I mean is I want to see a pic of what people think the sizes look like.

Because I have a feeling when idiots say things like "size 12/14 is massive" they're thinking of a size much larger, but women reading it will think of an actual size 12/14.

If that makes sense haha
It's very difficult to say because everyone is different. I think an important thing is that you are healthy and you are proportionate. :smile:

Height plays a different factor because someone who is 5'1 and size 16 is probably overweight. However, if they are size 16 on their bottom half, they might be curvy. It depends on the person. The person might be skinny, fat, slim, muscular etc. :biggrin:
Depends on height and body type, but for an average sort of woman:

8 is quite a slight or thin figure
10-12 is just sort of normal (although probably below average due to the number of fat women)
14-16 is a bit chubby
18+ is fat
Original post by karmacrunch
Height plays a different factor because someone who is 5'1 and size 16 is probably overweight. However, if they are size 16 on their bottom half, they might be curvy. It depends on the person. The person might be skinny, fat, slim, muscular etc. :biggrin:

Although saying that; people tend to confuse with fat with curves :/ but I agree with that as I'm 5ft 10.5 so it's the opposite effect for me :smile:
Original post by manchesterunited15
Depends on height and body type, but for an average sort of woman:

8 is quite a slight or thin figure
10-12 is just sort of normal (although probably below average due to the number of fat women)
14-16 is a bit chubby
18+ is fat

Could you post pics of those descriptions? Curious to see what they look like to you
Although saying that; people tend to confuse with fat with curves :/ but I agree with that as I'm 5ft 10.5 so it's the opposite effect for me :smile:

Yeah, sorry I should have made that clearer! I agree with the fat and curves but some people are genuinely curvy! Ah okay, I'm 5'8/9! I'd love to be a little taller. :biggrin:
Reply 8
it depends on the person, one of my friend is a size 12-14 and she looks good because she has a shapely figure whereas my other friend is the same size, but as she lacks curves, and has a hanging belly, I think a smaller size would suite her more. Size 8 and bellow is skinny for an average women of medium height,bone and muscle mass. 10-12 is slim depending on the person. 14 or upwards is comfortable.
Original post by karmacrunch
Yeah, sorry I should have made that clearer! I agree with the fat and curves but some people are genuinely curvy! Ah okay, I'm 5'8/9! I'd love to be a little taller. :biggrin:

I wasn't try to point out in your post, I agree with what you put :smile: I'd love to be smaller!
Could you post pics of those descriptions? Curious to see what they look like to you

Tricky to find without cheating and googling size X women, but:

8:

Spoiler

10:

Spoiler

12-14:

Spoiler

16-18:

Spoiler

I might be way off lol

8:

Spoiler

10:

Spoiler

12-14:

Spoiler

16-18:

Spoiler

I might be way off lol

Interesting... I think you're right except I think the last one is more an 18-20
Yuppp. Women come in all shapes and sizes, there is such thing as a curvy size 8 etc, or (X) on top (Y) on bottom, I think it's stupidly ignorant to say "this size is fat" when it's different for different heights etc, also bone structure and they body shape people are born with make a difference, I'm a size 6/8 and I still get called fat because I haven't got a thigh gap, but some other people tell my I need to put weight on. You just can't win dammit :frown:
Original post by Hugh Jerection
Aaaaaaaaaaaand a size 10

Think you're right with this one but I think Kat Dennings and Kate Nash are more 14s

Do you mean it's body shaming because size 14 isn't always fat, or because saying a size is fat is inherently body shaming?
Do you mean it's body shaming because size 14 isn't always fat, or because saying a size is fat is inherently body shaming?

Top one, and if they're saying it in a derogatory way (which they usually are) it's body shaming.

Original post by Hugh Jerection
I was in two minds whether they were 12 or 14s

Am I right with Emma Stone being an 8?

I think so yeah
I wasn't try to point out in your post, I agree with what you put :smile: I'd love to be smaller!

Ah okay! This is weird, we're opposite in what we want for height. Why would you want to be shorter? :smile:
Top one, and if they're saying it in a derogatory way (which they usually are) it's body shaming.

I agree the first one is, but not the second. If you say a size 28 is fat then that's just truth.
Reply 18

8:

Spoiler

10:

Spoiler

12-14:

Spoiler

16-18:

Spoiler

I might be way off lol

IDK about this being 'right' because i never ever looked as thin as the size 8/10 pic you posted

i have am size 8/10 at the same time and i look more like a mixture of the size 12/10 girl u posted

btw i used to be size 6 and never looked like your size 8 pic lmao ! [i looked way bigger although i was a 6]

And your last one is really accurate
I agree the first one is, but not the second. If you say a size 28 is fat then that's just truth.

Yeah it's true, but if you start bitching about fat women calling them disgusting and stuff, that's body shaming

It's the difference between saying "I don't find big women attractive " and "fat bitches are disgusting"

Same goes for saying skinny women look like boys

Quick Reply

Latest