The Student Room Group
Reply 1
York is indeed a very good university. However, I do not think it is rated too highly for business/management well atleast according to the Times. The best for the course are Oxford, LSE, Warwick & Bath. This shouldn't really be too much of an issue as you still have decent UCAS points and are at a good university.

Your in a pretty good situation I would say.
Reply 2
I wouldn`t choose York for Management. In this forum people said its not respected for business studies. I was also accepted to York Management N200 course, but declined it. You should try one of top20 in business with your grades
Reply 3
cant_wait_4_uni
Hey this may once again be a question asked alot

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=273576 :p:
Reply 4
Hey guys, I read on the manchester website that you need minimum GCSE A grade maths and english . However i got bb in english , so does it mean i will be filtered out straight away?
Reply 5
v2006, see this thread (towards the bottom of it), listen_to_cky is in the same situation --> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=274325 :wink:
Reply 6
RJA to the rescue , thanks mate!
Reply 7
Yes although York is not highly reputed for business/management, it is still nonetheless a good university and would be a better option than going to say Lancaster or Aston in my opinion. Employers do not typically know which university is the best in every subject (they may know the top 5 or so) so if yu cant get into them it is better to go to a good university rather than a mediocre one with a good business school.

You should weigh out both the department choice and the university choice in your decision.
Reply 8
No I don't agree with that

Lancaster > Aston > York

Employers will know which business schools are best...
thanks for the feedback and sorry for the repitition. But from what i hear Manegement at York is a very new degree and so has not been assessed yet and therefore doesnt appear in the league tables. I am just going off what they say.
Anyway i have now accepted it, so wish me luck!
thanks again!
Reply 10
Good luck :smile: and some advice, join societies, do alot of extra-curriculars, get some work experience and aim for a good internship :wink:
Reply 11
I know that Aston & Lancaster are better at Management than York but if you ask most reputable employers (or even look at the calibre of recruiters attracted to the respective universities) you will see York is not a bad choice.

Out of those 3 York is the only one that attracts top Investment Banks and top consultancies.
Thanks alot guys, i just found it weird cos Yorks typical management offer is ABB which is alot higher than all the unis "above" it in the league tables and then when i found out it hadnt been assessed yet i realised that maybe why, so that has put my mind to rest. I guess ur right though its all about that placement year and all the extra stuff. But i dont mean to be rude - who would pick lancaster or Aston etc over York, becos as u guys say, on overall rep York is so much higher. Argh i swear there could be a degree all about University League Tables.
Reply 13
the course itself does not seem that rated, however in reality it is the name of the institution that carries more weight - york is a good uni in this sense. the course seems less prestigious than other unis and other courses at york - they were offering clearing places at york for 240 points!
Reply 14
For business/management degrees outside of Oxford, LSE, Warwick and Bath (these are the best by far in the management area), you should choose a combination of the best university you can get into with a decent course content.
Reply 15
Busta
For business/management degrees outside of Oxford, LSE, Warwick and Bath (these are the best by far in the management area), you should choose a combination of the best university you can get into with a decent course content.

agreed. i would add nottingham* to that list as well but after notts it should pretty much stop.

*a very good uni(better than bath) and has a good business school(though not as good as bath). +1 -1 = 0
Reply 16
Heisman
agreed. i would add nottingham* to that list as well but after notts it should pretty much stop.

*a very good uni(better than bath) and has a good business school(though not as good as bath). +1 -1 = 0

Yes Nottingham is a good choice.

However, in terms of overall reputation Nottinghma and Bath are about the same in my opinion. But according to the Times & Guardian Uni guides, Bath is several places higher than Nottingham. So the official verdict would be Bath is better overall.
Reply 17
KCL is of a similar standard to Bath/Nottingham.
Reply 18
Yes KCL is a good university. Although, I would place it slightly below both Bath and Nottingham. This is true for business and the uni overall (well it has been consistently like that in the Times & Guardian atleast). When I say slightly I do mean a marginal difference

Latest

Trending

Trending