The Student Room Group

I know I've got into uni before finding out my results

My firm choice university released a list of courses that have gone into clearing and my course is among them. I was thinking this means there are spaces left on the course. By the process of elimination, could this mean that I know they've accepted my place even before finding out my results? I really hope this is true!
i wouldn't count on it mate, you never know
No, you might still have not met your offer and not got in, and they've released YOUR SPACE along with others who didn't make the grades, into clearing for better people.
It might not mean that mate. You'll find out Thursday anyway
Reply 4
No...
A common reason universities enter clearing is because lots of students missed their grades, so they have unexpected spaces. If the course is usually popular, it's more likely they've had to reject lots of students due to poor grades and know they can find better students in clearing.

Just because they've entered clearing, doesn't mean there are lots of spaces on the course, there may only be a few available, or the university might be trying to take advantage of the lack of number controls for students with ABB+.

Basically, this means nothing, as you don't know why the course is in clearing.
Yeah cheers for the replies. I thought it was a bit too good to be true and a bit too easy to find out. I still don't see a huge flaw in my logic so I could be true, but it isn't worth second guessing stuff at this stage. Either way we'll find out in a few days time!
Original post by brocklehurst95
Yeah cheers for the replies. I thought it was a bit too good to be true and a bit too easy to find out. I still don't see a huge flaw in my logic so I could be true, but it isn't worth second guessing stuff at this stage. Either way we'll find out in a few days time!

You could have got into uni, but you knew that anyway :P

The flaw in your logic is that some courses would rather find applicants via clearing than accept students who missed out by 2 or 3 grades.

Equally, even if the course has lots of spaces, the uni may chose not to accept students who they think will fail to cope.
My firm choice university released a list of courses that have gone into clearing and my course is among them. I was thinking this means there are spaces left on the course. By the process of elimination, could this mean that I know they've accepted my place even before finding out my results? I really hope this is true!

In short - no.

If an institution envisages going into clearing then they will usually have a cut off point for grades from students that have them as CF or CI. This can vary a lot between courses, Some courses may not accept anyone at all who has missed their offer whereas another course might accept people before results day who missed their offer by one grade, but then reject everyone else. They will then say that they're in clearing as it's likely that they can get "better" people than the ones that they rejected as these people will have missed a higher offer elsewhere. If the uni is being very naughty they will hang on to a pool of candidates to see what happens in clearing - if clearing doesn't go well then they'll confirm the places of these students on Friday or Saturday and if clearing goes well then they'll reject these students.

For example - you are a uni who typically offers places at ABB-BBB for your course. You have some students who have missed their offer and have gained somewhere in the region of BCC/CCC or lower. Do you take these students and risk failing to attract some "higher quality" candidates next year as your "typical entry grades" on UCAS will be lower, and therefore these students might think they're too good for you.... or do you take a punt in clearing? Afterall, there will be a lot of people who had AAA/AAB offers but ended up with ABB/BBB. Likewise you can also go in for adjustment and attract candidates who have exceeded their predictions and gained your ABB typical offer. If you can get some of those students then that will certainly make your course look better/more prestigious as you don't want to get a reputation for letting everyone in.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You could have got into uni, but you knew that anyway :P

The flaw in your logic is that some courses would rather find applicants via clearing than accept students who missed out by 2 or 3 grades.

Equally, even if the course has lots of spaces, the uni may chose not to accept students who they think will fail to cope.

Hmm maybe that's what's happening then. If that's the case and they reject those who miss by 2/3 grades, I've just got to hope that's not me! And equally so with your last point. Fingers crossed for Thursday!
Hmm maybe that's what's happening then. If that's the case and they reject those who miss by 2/3 grades, I've just got to hope that's not me! And equally so with your last point. Fingers crossed for Thursday!

You're basically in the same position you always were- you need to get the grades to get in. They just might be a tiny bit more lenient than they would be otherwise.

Good luck.
Original post by oxymoronic
In short - no.

If an institution envisages going into clearing then they will usually have a cut off point for grades from students that have them as CF or CI. This can vary a lot between courses, Some courses may not accept anyone at all who has missed their offer whereas another course might accept people before results day who missed their offer by one grade, but then reject everyone else. They will then say that they're in clearing as it's likely that they can get "better" people than the ones that they rejected as these people will have missed a higher offer elsewhere. If the uni is being very naughty they will hang on to a pool of candidates to see what happens in clearing - if clearing doesn't go well then they'll confirm the places of these students on Friday or Saturday and if clearing goes well then they'll reject these students.

For example - you are a uni who typically offers places at ABB-BBB for your course. You have some students who have missed their offer and have gained somewhere in the region of BCC/CCC or lower. Do you take these students and risk failing to attract some "higher quality" candidates next year as your "typical entry grades" on UCAS will be lower, and therefore these students might think they're too good for you.... or do you take a punt in clearing? Afterall, there will be a lot of people who had AAA/AAB offers but ended up with ABB/BBB. Likewise you can also go in for adjustment and attract candidates who have exceeded their predictions and gained your ABB typical offer. If you can get some of those students then that will certainly make your course look better/more prestigious as you don't want to get a reputation for letting everyone in.

So in short- no.

In long- probably not either.

Your post makes things clearer though, thanks for that.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You're basically in the same position you always were- you need to get the grades to get in. They just might be a tiny bit more lenient than they would be otherwise.

Good luck.

Yeah, probably. It's a bit more comforting knowing that there's a more chance of getting in. But it's exactly that- just a chance, a probability. Nothing is set in stone for me personally so we'll just wait and see. Thanks for that

You sound quite cocky.

No, if you don't meet the grades they won't accept you and will offer that place to someone else.
Reply 14

Out of interest, what course have you applied for?
Original post by Made in Tyrone
blah

Do I? Oh well. I was trying to keep the post short and blunt instead of posting pages and pages of irrelevant stuff.

Yeah I'm aware of that possibility but not all unis are always that strict. Either way we can't speculate too much really
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by okdt
Out of interest, what course have you applied for?

I've applied for geography. If you've been stalking my profile it says there haha
Reply 17
I've applied for geography. If you've been stalking my profile it says there haha

Oh right haha, I've applied for languages and I've seen them in clearing lists at a lot of unis.. I wonder if that's due to low demand or people missing their offers, I'm scared haha
Original post by okdt
Oh right haha, I've applied for languages and I've seen them in clearing lists at a lot of unis.. I wonder if that's due to low demand or people missing their offers, I'm scared haha

Haha well that's the thing, we don't know anything apart from that there are places for our courses going spare. Could be any reason really. Then again we haven't got long to wait before we find out. I'm looking forward to finding out so I'm able to know what's going on more than anything else haha. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending