The Student Room Group
the grades are what you make of them. they will either go up if you work hard or they may go down. If you are aware of the reasons why they were Bs instead of As then you just need to improve whatever was holding you down. Just bear in mind that nothing is guaranteed and no one can tell you what will happen.
Well it depends if the second year is considerably harder (relatively) than your AS year. For example I went from an A in Geography at AS to a C overall because I completely flunked it in Year 13. However, especially with resits, you could feasibly improve your grade, but it's more like to stay the same I'd say :smile:
Reply 3
guccilittlepiggy
the grades are what you make of them. they will either go up if you work hard or they may go down. If you are aware of the reasons why they were Bs instead of As then you just need to improve whatever was holding you down. Just bear in mind that nothing is guaranteed and no one can tell you what will happen.

Lots of absences from college, homeowork rarely done. :redface: Yes I know why they were Bs not As. Not that I'm displeased with the B's ! ALL change this year though.
Reply 4
As others have said it depends. One of my AS marks went down a grade through one unfortunate bad module, one stayed the same and the other went up:rolleyes: . It's all down to you really and how much work you'll put in, and also if you perform well in the exams. Exams aren't for everybody and some people just never do amazingly well under that pressure.
Reply 5
Unlucky - try again:p:. Just resit the modules you got bad UMS in. Top up each of the AS-levels to around 290/300 and you will be likely to get an A overall even without much work at A2.
Reply 6
According to my teachers, the "official" guidelines from the government is that A2 grades are usually one below the AS grades, but in their experience, it's not generally true, because as long as you are willing to put the work in, there's no reason for your grade to go down.
Reply 7
There is no general rule as how to you perform at A2 dependent how well you do at AS, granted if you do better at AS it will make it easier to do well at A2 (the UMS system) but I did pretty bad last year for AS- i got ABCD and this year after getting my act together i got AABa for A2. Just concentrate on A2 as if its the same, if not work harder because this is the year you sort out your uni application and by the time of your june exams you will be looking to reach the grades for your offers from your chosen universities.
I went down 3/4 grades in history (before/after resits) :redface: down 1 grade in French and sociology and stayed the same (although improved slightly in terms of marks) in English lit, so it really depends. I think the reason I did so well in English is because I knew I had to get an A in it to meet my firm offer, and even though I ended up missing it by 4 marks :mad: I think I did better than I would otherwise have done because I had that added incentive. In French and sociology, I had really high marks at AS and knew I only needed Cs at A2 to maintain my As, so I may have subconsciously slacked off a bit. And history......well, let's not even go there! :p: I would advise resitting a module in each of the B subjects though, and maybe even the A subjects if they were low As, just to be on the safe side.
You have to work your butt off at A2 basically or you're going to end up dissapointed.
Reply 10
If you put in the same effort at A2 as you have at AS then you'll probably drop a grade in each subject. If you work a little bit harder then its entirely possible you can maintain or better the grade you got at AS (I did). Its all down to how much work you put in.
Reply 11
If you work hard it is entirely possible to go up at A2, even without the resits. I had ABBC at AS and this went up to AAAb at A2. For the A2s even though I resat a module in each, I found I could have got these grades even without the resits, so it is entirely possible. This was working about twice as hard though and during study leave I put in a ridiculous amount of work to make it happen.

If you want it badly enough, then you can do it :smile:

Latest