The Student Room Group

Is it morally wrong to use a disablility toilet?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Lol at people who are disgusting and poo in public toilets

Why is it disgusting?
I've always assumed that toilets with the disabled facilities symbol on the door means 'this toilet is equipped for people with disabilities so it might be easier for you to use this one than another one' rather than 'this toilet is exclusively for people with disabilities'. So I've never thought it morally wrong to use a disabled loo, and I can't see an issue with it being used if the others are full or if it would be easier with the extra space (eg you have a young child or a pram with you). Parking spaces are different because disabled people requiring one of the spaces could have to wait hours for one to become free, so I'd say disabled parking spaces do mean 'this space is exclusively for people with disabilities'.

Having said all that, I personally don't like using the disabled toilet in case I accidentally pull the cord and people come running in to rescue me :dontknow:
Original post by Rosewater
I've always assumed that toilets with the disabled facilities symbol on the door means 'this toilet is equipped for people with disabilities so it might be easier for you to use this one than another one' rather than 'this toilet is exclusively for people with disabilities'. So I've never thought it morally wrong to use a disabled loo, and I can't see an issue with it being used if the others are full or if it would be easier with the extra space (eg you have a young child or a pram with you). Parking spaces are different because disabled people requiring one of the spaces could have to wait hours for one to become free, so I'd say disabled parking spaces do mean 'this space is exclusively for people with disabilities'.

Having said all that, I personally don't like using the disabled toilet in case I accidentally pull the cord and people come running in to rescue me :dontknow:
Which I accidentally did once! :eek: :biggrin:
Original post by PQ
If you get in touch with incontinence organisations and charities they will provide both radar keys to access many disabled loos and little cards you can use to give to people if you're challenged when using one.

Pretty sure those are not the people ou student is talking about.

Original post by Holby_fanatic
Ahahaha, do such things actually exist? Wow.

The MS society does something similar, as a lot of people with MS are incontinent, or getting there. My grandmother even uses hers to ask if she can use a staff toiler if she's ages away from a public one.
Original post by pinkteddyx64
Which I accidentally did once! :eek: :biggrin:

What happened?!
Original post by Rosewater
What happened?!
I was a the local surgery, sat in the waiting room, and I had to use the disabled person's toilet, as the men's toilets were out of order. The disable person's toilet room didn't have automatic lighting, so I pulled one of the two cords, thinking it was the one to switch the light on, (they where both the same colour the cords were!!!!), then of course, the light didn't switch on, and instead, a loud claxon-like sound emits from an alarm, and the receptionist comes running to me, asking if I need assistance, and I said that I thought I had pull the cord for the light! She then attached a label to the cord I had pulled by accident with red writing on it saying "PULL IN CASE OF EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE ONLY".
Original post by PandaWho
what if those physical disabilities arnt obvious?

i use disabled toilets because they are generally taller, so are esier for me to sit on and get up from, as well as being able to use the hand rails. but my illness that i need those aids for doesnt give of physical signs, unless it is so bad i need my crutches. but generally there is no physical sign that i have an illness.

It doesnt matter if its obvious or not, if you know youre physically disabled you use them..

Quick Reply

Latest